The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2011, 12:05 PM   #721
diyAudio Member

Looks nice!
Old 21st February 2011, 10:37 PM   #722
diyAudio Member

Default GB for North America is off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post

Joe and Steve, we are now looking at a GB of 7 or 8 from North America.

Francois
Thanks for those who expressed interest in a Wave Guide group buy for North Americans. I regret to say that the group buy is off as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps someone else has the conviction and energy to go on - please do.

Explanation: I have made it known to Joe and Steve that we are interested in a group buy and also sent PM to Steve but have had no response. I conclude that Joe and Steve are not interested in a group buy, so you are on your own. Sorry.

Best wishes with yours Mk 5s,

Francois
Old 21st February 2011, 10:59 PM   #723
diyAudio Member

Default GB

As a DIYer I find this last post difficult to disagree with as I too requested to be listed on the Group buy! 'BUT!' If one reads between the lines it would appear that both Joe and Steve were gracious enough to share the schematic with us and leave the replicating to our own resources. There must be a capable Wood worker/Machinist who can facilitate the production of a number of wave guides from the renderings posted on #718, 719, and 729! There-in lies an opportunity for some energetic entrepreneur here in N. America who stands to make a tidy some from a few interested builders! Any takers?
Francis
Old 21st February 2011, 11:04 PM   #724
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post

Explanation: I have made it known to Joe and Steve that we are interested in a group buy and also sent PM to Steve but have had no response. I conclude that Joe and Steve are not interested in a group buy, so you are on your own. Sorry.

Best wishes with yours Mk 5s,

Francois
Please do not interpret my message as ungrateful to Joe or Steve for they generous contribution to our hobby. Obviously these are very talented and generous men - I personally thank you and I'm sure every member of this forum feels the same.

The purpose of group buys is to reduce the unit cost of purchased items. In our case Steve handmade each of the wave guides, so who could not understand that his unit cost is about the same.

Let me say again, thank you Steve for making the wave guides available to any buyer and especially for making the drawings available to all.

My best regards,
Francois
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:06 AM   #725
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
I'm still interested in buying a pair. I'm currently on vacation but will be ready to place an order (if they are still available) next week.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:31 AM   #726
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Guys

Re the group buy, since the first batch wasn't done and sent untill at the end of last week - that batch arrived here on Friday, then we really were not yet in a position yet to talk about what it might cost etc. In fact we had been discussing things on the phone - and I had no idea just how many hours it took for Steve to make these - so I was hardly in a position to negotiate.

BTW, Francois, Steve did not get any private message from you. I asked and he checked and confirmed that he did not. So you were not ignored, something else broke down.

If you wish to make sure he gets a message, let me know as well and I will send him a copy, so if he doesn't get one he will get the other. We will then discuss things by phone. Unlike me, Steve does not want his email address to be public.

Re group buy - I can only suggest two things.

(1) Nominate a quantity to Steve "greenpea" and he will determine a price as he now is in a better position to do so. Make sure I know as well, my direct email address is hardly a secret: joeras@vacuumstate.com

Or...

(2) Find a way to make these locally and maybe help us out - if you know somebody with automated machinery to make these, that would be excellent and nobody will mind if they are distributed in order to help other DIY'ers out for a reasonable cost and not for profit motive as we were the ones who designed it.

BTW, may I also add that any handling that I do is basically for free as I want as much as possible for Steve to get what is left over after basic things like postage is covered.

Cheers, Joe
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:59 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Default Well...

I dont know if it is entirely in the spirit of things, but if I can get one waveguide in hand, I can take molds off it, and recast them in resin or something similar. I dont have the ability to generate the precise shape from nothing, but I can copy an original perfectly.

Since I am building my elsinores in concrete, I had planned to reproduce the waveguides for myself in a stone/resin mix just to go along with the existing aesthetic.

If pouring copies is considered misuse of the existing work, I can understand, but it would be a way for people in N America to get the units for less cost.
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:27 PM   #728
diyAudio Member

Default Actually...

I could do per-request cast-in colors and or aggregates, so if you wanted a clear resin filled with a particular color of stone, crushed glass, translucent color, or something like that, it would be very doable. Just for the fun of making them look neat.
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:57 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Default WG

As I see this Joe and Steve have posted to the net, the details of the drawing for our benefit as DIY builders. I see no guilt or remorse in taking this drawing and make it available for personal use, even if you are wishing to, at the least, recover your expenses. My understanding of his last post on this #718 he offered it to the public, but in all fairness contact either Joe or Steve and ask for 'Express' permission to produce. I would be willing to purchase a pair cast in stone aggregate like brown granite! Would look great against a wood veneer!
Old 24th February 2011, 01:28 PM   #730
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Default If they're currently available...

I think at this point I'd just like to be sure of getting a pair of the waveguides. I've read completely through this thread and I'm thinking this may be the last pair of speakers I'll ever need (HA!). I think the tube friendly flat impedance and high(ish) efficiency with good bass extension is exactly what I'm looking for.

If other really cool and exotic versions of the waveguide come out later I could always make the current ones available to someone else so they won't go to waste.

Hide this!Advertise here!