The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2011, 06:27 PM   #711
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
The 7 folks on the interest list (each with one pair) are:
BHD
ben-jam-in (representing Canada - Ben and Matt, 1 pair each)
donkt88
Francois G
Johngalt47
mantraxl

Apologies if I missed anyone who tried to contact me - please let me know. If there are more of you out there please send PM

Francois
Don G contacted me and might join in the waveguide GB if he could find someone to build the crossover for him at reasonable cost. Anyone?

Joe and Steve, we are now looking at a GB of 7 or 8 from North America.

Francois
Old 12th February 2011, 08:22 PM   #712
diyAudio Member

Default Wave Guide

Hello BHD
I do not recall if I entered my name as part of you GB but count me in if not. I know a Machinist who makes the molds for such pressings for the automotive industry and he may be willing to mill from aluminum, the mold shape you will need for a plastic pressing/mold! Should I contact him in this regard? We/ Group will have to buy a slab of aluminum and he can mill per our spec's. He is also willing to Mill other things like baffle plates or anything imaginable really! Get back to me if this avenue is of interest!
Francis
Old 12th February 2011, 11:04 PM   #713
donkt88 is offline donkt88  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Would anyone in the states be willing to build the MK-5 crossover for me?
Preferably someone who has yet to build theirs.
I would send the funds to cover the cost of the parts, labor, and shipping.
My expertise is cabinet building, and the knowledge of knowing that if I screw up the crossover, just a little, I've ruined a perfectly good loudspeaker. Anyone interested?
Don
Old 13th February 2011, 05:32 AM   #714
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help Francois G.
Old 13th February 2011, 05:34 AM   #715
m12ax7 is offline m12ax7  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkt88 View Post
Hi Guys,
Would anyone in the states be willing to build the MK-5 crossover for me?
Preferably someone who has yet to build theirs.
I would send the funds to cover the cost of the parts, labor, and shipping.
My expertise is cabinet building, and the knowledge of knowing that if I screw up the crossover, just a little, I've ruined a perfectly good loudspeaker. Anyone interested?
Don

Following a cross over wiring diagram isn't very difficult, worse case someone should be able to post a picture of an assembled cross over.

Can't be much more complex/difficult than soldering a couple of wires together. Even a inexpensive radio shack iron should do.
Just practice on a few wires and you should "get the hang of it".

If you are really worried about mucking it up, you could use jumper wires to assemble it and try it with your speakers. Once your satisfied that it works you can then solder it together.

If you can master the skills needed to assemble a set of cabinets a cross over really is simple (in my opinion).

I've been watching this thread since it first started, this new version has piqued my interest.

I've been looking for speakers to run with a set of Dynaco MK3s.

Has anyone recently priced out the total parts prices? (drivers and cross overs) I understand that the waveguide is TBD.
Old 13th February 2011, 04:05 PM   #716
diyAudio Member

Default Wave Guide proto T

Hello Joe, in regards to the wave guide and respectful of your friend & assoc. Steve and his hard work, I like the way the problem to solve the flare of the tweeter's FLANGE has been approached. (Post #698 illustration) However may I suggest another maybe simpler approach? Remove the flange and model it's shape as part of the Wave Guide substrate (MDF) and mount the dome and motor section direct to the guide eliminating the flange but incorporating the flare at the mouth (inlet) into the MDF as part of the initial shape. In this way you may have better control of the thickness and proximity to the dome you can be. Your views?
Francis
Old 14th February 2011, 12:50 AM   #717
diyAudio Member

Gday Kingfisher
I think I know what you mean- mount the driver sans flatplate directly to the back of the MDF panel-? We did contemplate this method but Joe was reluctant to have the driver mounted to the WG, as he would rather have the driver mounted directly to the front panel structure of the Elisnores to ensure it is very "solid", and then just have the WG mounted seperately "in-front", forming no structural purpose. Joe might want to confirm the theory/reasoning.

Below is a photo of the prototype WG in my pair- I had the luxury of fitting the WG panel very neatly into the "cavity" (where the felt used to be), but it took a bit of fiddling around trimming the edges to match "my" cavity exactly. It all depends on how accuratley (centered) your tweeter is mounted in the cavity, and the size of the cavity itself. That it is why we suggest having a small gap around the perimeter of the WG and to your cavity, trimmed to have it even, to make up for the differences in tolerance between each and every Elsinore fabrication
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00092-20101025-1839-adjusted.jpg (136.6 KB, 601 views)
Old 15th February 2011, 04:39 AM   #718
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Guys

Steve has taken my rough drawings and come up with more detailed drawings, so I have decided to post them here:

OVERALL:

Click the image to open in full size.

CLOSEUP:

For those inclined to make their own, go for it. But for the rest of us, we can appreciate Steve's efforts and the take advantage of his efforts.

Cheers, Joe
Old 15th February 2011, 04:53 AM   #719
diyAudio Member

If you have access to a fancy CNC machine and wanted to make it look out of this world, Steve did this on his computer - nice 3D modelling:

But it also gives a good idea of the Waveguide parts.

Cheers, Joe
Old 18th February 2011, 09:22 AM   #720
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

Received the first batch of waveguides from Steve "greenpea" today.

I've got to say that he has done a beautiful job and after talking today with him on the phone, may I simply say that the hours he spends making these... well, he is not making much for the time he puts in.

If these could be made with a CNC machine and cut down the time... ? But these are hand-made.

The first pair was posted to "spoonted" this arvo (that's Oz for afternoon - mustn't forget the international audience).

The MDF is completely sealed from effects to moisture. The Front of the Waveguide is grey undercoat and very smooth. The Rear is also an undercoated, but this is a kinda rusty yellow.

Cheers, Joe

FRONT:

REAR:

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 18th February 2011 at 09:25 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!