The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2007, 08:05 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Thanks Joe! Lookin good so far!

this is still with the Vifa tweeter, correct?
Old 16th April 2007, 02:03 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
JR Minis - Part 2

Here is the Crossover:

Click the image to open in full size.

The following shows ON Axis response, impedance and impedance phase:

The increased output centered around 150Hz is primarily an artifact of mic proximity effect - so ignore.

While the negative phase is -50 degrees @ 3KHz, the impedance is still high at almost 10 Ohm. The impedance does not drop below 5 Ohm. The speaker is not hard to drive.

Let's take a look at the OFF Axis response:

It is actually smoother OFF Axis, but a bit more rolled off above 10KHz.

Now for a simulated 500Hz square wave:

Even though the tweeter is not connected in phase, the speaker remains phase coherrent up to a reasonably high frequency.

That's it!

Joe R.
Old 16th April 2007, 03:18 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

right on! thanks again Joe...i can't seem to thank you enough!

So just to confirm...this is acceptable as a center? You say to just mount the tweeter ontop of the mid/woofer? What if you turned it sideways...would that screw anything up?

next, you have no plans in the future to incorporate the peerless HDS tweeter, right?
Old 16th April 2007, 04:02 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

another question

for the center, i'm going to be coming from quite a large one. (two 5 1/4s woofer, 3" mid, 1" tweeter) and Paradigm mini monitor rears (1" tweeter, 6 1/2" mid/woofer)

Am I going to lose anything going from a larger speaker to such a small speaker for the center and rears?
Old 16th January 2008, 07:49 AM   #65
jpvt68 is offline jpvt68  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi poorsound,

I'm thinking of building this centre speaker and surrounds and was wondering if you ended up building it and what did you think?
Old 16th January 2008, 03:04 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

No I'm sorry I didn't. I'm in the process of building a center channel using the same crossover as the elsinores without the woofers. It will be a vertical standing speaker with an MTM layout.

Are you building these to match the Elsinores?
Old 17th January 2008, 02:40 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

I don't have anything yet but I am going to be building 5 to 7 speakers for home theatre and music very soon. I was planning on building Wayne's Eros untill I read about the elsinores this week, now I'm undecided. I'd like to know how your center channel works out.
Old 17th January 2008, 04:55 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpvt68
I don't have anything yet but I am going to be building 5 to 7 speakers for home theatre and music very soon. I was planning on building Wayne's Eros untill I read about the elsinores this week, now I'm undecided. I'd like to know how your center channel works out.
Why not come and see me and hear the original Elsinores. You are in Sydney and I am where the M5 and M7 meet at Prestons near Liverpool. Bring some music as reference. No obligations whatsoever. I just love having visitors and it is easier for the Elsinores to do the talking rather than me. Works every time!

Joe R.
Old 18th January 2008, 04:23 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Thanks Joe, having just read through your Elsinore article I think I will build them and maybe take up your offer in the future.
Old 18th January 2008, 05:41 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpvt68

Thanks Joe, having just read through your Elsinore article I think I will build them and maybe take up your offer in the future.

Great! I am sure you won't regret it. There are six in Sydney that I know off, and very happy. You will be number seven. There are three in Victoria, two in Qld and one in WA. They are the ones I know about - anybody can build them without my knowledge. Then there are a number in Europe and US & Canada and many in the planning stage. So it is starting to get real momentum.

Right now I am driving my pair with a 12 Watt Triode (and some amp it is) and the Elsinores are reaching outrageous volume levels. Talk about running on an oily rag (is that Oz?).

Phone me anytime for a chat, 96074650 & 0412-203382 - the numbers are on several websites, so no need to hide them here.

Joe R.

PS: Will be demoing them at Haberfield - ASoN audiophile meeting - on Sunday 25th between 3PM and 6PM. All are welcome @ 78 Dalhousie Street, same grey building as Haberfield Library.

Joe R.

Hide this!Advertise here!