The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2010, 04:27 AM   #641
diyAudio Member

Default Mark 3 elsinores

My brother built the cabinets and did the veneer in french walnut. There were 3 items we had to make adjustments for because we could not find the proper materials.

1. Was the port tube, which I mentioned in my previous post. I believe the measurements did fall within Joe's specifications on this thread or in the fact section on his website.

2. For dampening material I used Extra-loft polyfil stuffing that is used for making blankets. I purchased it at Michaels( a craft store) The material comes in thin sheets about 6mm thick. I cut out the pieces and and sewed Them together. I used 12 pieces to achieve the 75mm thickness! PITA.

3. Could not find the right thickness of Felt, so again I sewed a bunch of thin pieces together. I used 10 pieces for each tweeter.

I am very happy with them. I still can not believe how Dynamic they are!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elsinore1.jpg (15.9 KB, 790 views)
File Type: jpg elsinore2.jpg (23.4 KB, 752 views)
Old 28th October 2010, 01:10 PM   #642
Tyson is offline Tyson  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, if anyone is interested in the Elsinores I documented building earlier in this thread, I am looking to off load mine. I have super-premium crossover parts to go along with the very stout cabinets I built.
Old 28th October 2010, 06:59 PM   #643
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben-jam-in View Post
3. Could not find the right thickness of Felt, so again I sewed a bunch of thin pieces together. I used 10 pieces for each tweeter.
Bob in Abbottsford (CSS) has the REALLY good UltraTouch 1/2" recycled cotton felt.

dave
Old 30th October 2010, 12:37 PM   #644
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
My brother built the cabinets and did the veneer in french walnut. There were 3 items we had to make adjustments for because we could not find the proper materials.

1. Was the port tube, which I mentioned in my previous post. I believe the measurements did fall within Joe's specifications on this thread or in the fact section on his website.

2. For dampening material I used Extra-loft polyfil stuffing that is used for making blankets. I purchased it at Michaels( a craft store) The material comes in thin sheets about 6mm thick. I cut out the pieces and and sewed Them together. I used 12 pieces to achieve the 75mm thickness! PITA.

Sounds like you were able to improvise successfully. Well done!

Quote:

I am very happy with them. I still can not believe how Dynamic they are!!
That is what seems to strike people a lot when they first hear them. And if I may boast, that was exactly what was aimed at. They suffer from very low dynamic compression and believe this has a lot to do with how cool those Voice Coils run. The second thing that strikes first time listeners may not be quite so obvious, but they are very cohesive sounding. That is important for long term listening satisfaction.

BUT...

Time marches on and a Mark 5 is on the drawing board, hope to post something here within the next month. It will require either buying a waveguide or taking on the task of making one as per drawing. The one that can be bought will be available from Australia and custom made.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:41 AM   #645
diyAudio Member

My Brother just fired up his elsinore's.
Old 16th December 2010, 02:11 AM   #646
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

no fire I hope
Old 16th December 2010, 03:10 AM   #647
diyAudio Member

He finished his in Bubinga. They are the Mark 3's, soon to be mark 4's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matt's elsinores resized.jpg (62.0 KB, 532 views)
Old 20th December 2010, 02:48 PM   #648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Time marches on and a Mark 5 is on the drawing board, hope to post something here within the next month.

Cheers, Joe R.
Hi Joe,

I'm finishing up my Elsinores withing the next couple of weeks and wondered if you have any guidance on what changes I should make now, to facilitate the Mk 5 conversion when you are done with the design. Or is it simply fitting a wave guide in the recess for the tweeter? Any advice would be welcome since it would be easier to make any significant changes now.

I also wanted to wish you and all the Elsinore builders a peaceful and enjoyable time over the Holidays. May you find time to enjoy good music.

Francois
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:55 AM   #649
diyAudio Member

Hi all after a couple of years of watching this thread finally decided to go ahead and build the Elsinores, mainly due to good value in the Australian dollar last month and receiving a hardware gift voucher from work which i used to purchase the MDF.

I cut out all the MDF last weekend and will be ready to assemble the panels this weekend.

Thanks Joe and others for all of your hard work in the project.

MERRY Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Cheers Spoonted
Old 27th December 2010, 08:56 AM   #650
diyAudio Member

Woohoo boxes ready for painting.

Still chasing felt and damping material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1085.jpg (278.0 KB, 396 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!