The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2010, 02:08 PM   #581
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I think I will give the self-made jig a try. Francois
Old 15th February 2010, 02:56 PM   #582
Dan_E10 is offline Dan_E10  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 810921 sensitivity/efficiency?

I noticed the number quoted at Madisound for the HDS tweeter is 93 db. However in Scan Speak's pdf, they quote 91.26 db at 2.8V, almost two dB lower. Has the tweeter changed since it was a Peerless design or maybe they just rated it more conservatively?
Dan
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:13 PM   #583
diyAudio Member

Default Dimensions of opening for the tweeter

Joe and all,

I'm almost done with my enclosures (just not glued yet) and will be cutting the fronts shortly. I'm making it from nice oak boards and would like to keep the board in one piece, i.e. not cut it like the official design shows in a separate top and bottom. Instead I would like to cut a rectangular opening with the opening height as in the design, but with 50 mm of wood on each side, that would frame the tweeter and the felt.

The question: Is there something about the design that requires that the top and bottom front boards be completely separate? It seems to me that the felt damping would be sufficient as long as it covers the area around the tweeter by a few cm in each direction.

Thanks,
Francois
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:59 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

Joe and all, Hello! I have a question on the trap filter. I am sure there are some who may hear the difference with & without the trap on the tweeter? I haven't ordered the components yet and wanted feed-back on this part before I include. Also there are two differing values to the inpedance network for the tweeter, 68microf. and the other at 300microf. It shows 300 on the early post and back to 68 on the latest. can you explain?
kingfisher
PS. most interesting sight!
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:57 PM   #585
diyAudio Member

Sorry Yeal, found my answer at #176 Peter N. on the difference!
Thanks ahead of time!
kingfisher
Old 31st March 2010, 11:39 PM   #586
diyAudio Member

Hello all, Hello Joe;

There is several weeks than the Joe's Elsinore tempts me ... I did not find this achievement on French forums.
I fell on the Joe realization, seeking my inspiration on the net... What a job! It's an impressive achievement that makes me get into the DIY with enthousiasm.
Thank Joe!
With this project, are always few questions for a newbie like me who throws himself into his first DIY!

I already plan a list of components on website Europe-Audio, prices are very competitive (I think)
-For resistors, I think Wirewound resistor 5W 5%
For inductors:
L1-Tritec Ferrobar coil with ferrite core 9mH 0.430Ohm
L2-Visaton coil with air core and tinned wire ends 1mH 0,5 Ohm (5014) or Air core coil 1.0mH 0.28Ohm 1.4mm
L3-Monacor air core coil 0.47mH 0.45Ohm 0.85mm
L4-Monacor air core coil 0.82mH 0.35Ohm 1.2mm or Air core coil 0.82mH 0.26Ohm 1.4mm
L5-Air core coil LUT 55/30 1.80 mH R 0.79 CU 1.00 AL 40

-For capacitors:
C1-AUDYN-CAP KP-SN tinfoil capacitor 3.3uF 160V 24 x 38mm
C2-AUDYN-CAP KP-SN tinfoil capacitor 4.7uF 160V 24.5 x 38mm
C3-AUDYN-CAP KP-QS foil capacitor 68uF 400V 50 x 66mm
C4-AUDYN-CAP KP-QS foil capacitor 10uF 400V 28 x 36mm

So my questions are these: Joe, in the crossover, indicates the values 0R5 max for L2, L3, L4 and 1R max for L5.
If I understand correctly, for L3 and L5, we can adjust the values of resistors in series to compensate for low resistance of the coil .. but what about the values of L2 and L4? is it better to be close to 0R5 or lower values would be better?

Also, is that my choices in the capacitors are ok?
Feel free to point me to other products (R/L/C) if you think it useful.

I will wire the speakers with UL1213, Alpha-Wire in AWG-16 (silver plated copper wire covered with Teflon)

Thank you for helping me and excuse me for my deplorable English..

Jerome
Old 8th April 2010, 05:08 AM   #587
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hey Rob, any news on the Hamlet boxes front?

Cheers, Joe

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th April 2010, 06:58 AM   #588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarb View Post

... my questions are these: Joe, in the crossover, indicates the values 0R5 max for L2, L3, L4 and 1R max for L5.
If I understand correctly, for L3 and L5, we can adjust the values of resistors in series to compensate for low resistance of the coil .. but what about the values of L2 and L4? is it better to be close to 0R5 or lower values would be better?

Also, is that my choices in the capacitors are ok?
Feel free to point me to other products (R/L/C) if you think it useful.

I will wire the speakers with UL1213, Alpha-Wire in AWG-16 (silver plated copper wire covered with Teflon)

Thank you for helping me and excuse me for my deplorable English..

Jerome
Hi Jerome

Yes, your choices seem fine. Re resistances in the inductor, the Elsinores can tolerate higher resistances than far the most of speakers around. Each wing of the crossover is virtually 16 Ohm nominally, so it can tolerate four times the resistance compared to that of 4 Ohm design. For example, even as high as 1 Ohm DC resistance at 16 Ohm is virtually the same as 0.25 Ohm at 4 Ohm.

So there is no problem with what you have listed, the DC resistances are more than adequate.

Cheers, Joe
Old 8th April 2010, 07:09 AM   #589
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
Joe and all, Hello! I have a question on the trap filter. I am sure there are some who may hear the difference with & without the trap on the tweeter? I haven't ordered the components yet and wanted feed-back on this part before I include. Also there are two differing values to the inpedance network for the tweeter, 68microf. and the other at 300microf. It shows 300 on the early post and back to 68 on the latest. can you explain?
kingfisher
PS. most interesting sight!
The LC trap is L = 0.82mH and 68uF and keep DC resistance of L as low as possible.

300uF and other L value was for Vifa XT Tweeter as used in Mark 1 - we are now Mark 3 and the Tweeter was changed to Peerless HDS 810921 - which is now Scan-Speak D2608 Discovery Tweeter.

This LC trap - a null filter actually - is critical in lowering distortion from the Tweeter and improving power handling etc. It should not be omitted unless you desire a significant loss in performance. Surely not?

Cheers, Joe
Old 8th April 2010, 01:12 PM   #590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
Joe and all,

I'm almost done with my enclosures (just not glued yet) and will be cutting the fronts shortly. I'm making it from nice oak boards and would like to keep the board in one piece, i.e. not cut it like the official design shows in a separate top and bottom. Instead I would like to cut a rectangular opening with the opening height as in the design, but with 50 mm of wood on each side, that would frame the tweeter and the felt.

The question: Is there something about the design that requires that the top and bottom front boards be completely separate? It seems to me that the felt damping would be sufficient as long as it covers the area around the tweeter by a few cm in each direction.

Thanks,
Francois
Hey guys, does someone have an answer or opinion for me? Am I missing something important in the requirement for having two separate boards?

Francois

Hide this!Advertise here!