The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2009, 04:06 AM   #541
rob323 is offline rob323  Australia
diyAudio Member

Joe, for those of us in the "other" camp and just curious about speaker design in general, other than the impedance plot, what things would be affected (changes to the crossover, phase etc) if the mid woofers were wired in parallel instead?
Old 28th June 2009, 10:32 AM   #542
diyAudio Member

Proof of concept.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:33 AM   #543
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen
Hi Guys...

In addition to above it retains the use of series connection of the main drivers. In all honesty I have not seen this used in any commercial speaker and come to think of it, I can't recall any diy designs either. Normally we would connect the drivers in parallel and get a 3-4 Ohm speaker. Yes, the voltage sensitivity would likely match the Elsinore, but the current required would quadruple, so efficiency is not improved, just a heavier load on the amp. I make no excuses for being in a particular camp (a minority one I would say).

OK, over to you guys.

Cheers.

Joe R.
Not to feel alone in series stuff, here is a design of mine, ''The Slim'' as it was published in Positive Feedback Vol.8, #3 Winter, 2000, when PF was still a paper mag. That one hit 93dB at 8 Ohm and was not dipping, so it was endorsed as valve friendly under Doc B.'s (Bottlehead) World of VALVE section.

Old 28th June 2009, 01:36 PM   #544
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by rob323
Proof of concept.
[/IMG]
Proof? In these days of photoshopping, can one trust one's eyes?

Hey, Rob, but I trust you. Glad to see it's a pair, I wasn't sure.

Cheers.

Joe R.
Old 28th June 2009, 01:48 PM   #545
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salas

Not to feel alone in series stuff, here is a design of mine, ''The Slim'' as it was published in Positive Feedback Vol.8, #3 Winter, 2000, when PF was still a paper mag. That one hit 93dB at 8 Ohm and was not dipping, so it was endorsed as valve friendly under Doc B.'s (Bottlehead) World of VALVE section.
Hi Salas

You have nack of hunting these down.

But just two drivers in series (your example is series parallel and I'm a fan of that too, in a manner) is still something I haven't seen, especially 2 x 8 Ohm = 16.

When I get Rob's Hamlet boxes, I will also model parallel. We can the model both and compare what we get. We could end up with two variations, Hamlet 16 and Hamlet 4. Here in Sydney a friend of mine, Brad Serhan, has designed the Orpheus Loudspeaker's Aurora 2 and 3. These are 4 Ohm, but a particularly easy and resistive load.

www.orpheusaudio.com.au/?d=products&p=aurora-2-3

Both the 2's and 3's are nice and easy loads. Indirectly, and I don't think Brad will object, I've had a hand in those designs, but he was in the driver's seat and it's his designs. For commercial designs they are also good value.

What I am getting at, if the Hamlet also lends themselves to easy 4 Ohm, then that will also be seriously looked at.

Joe R.
Old 28th June 2009, 03:47 PM   #546
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I have made medium size mirrored box 2X5.5inch carbon cone Audax HM130C0 (like those in early Von Schweikert) plus a tall purely resistive 8 Ohm ribbon on their side, woofers wired in series 8+8=16. Easy load, soft sound. When I got em in parallel, by adjusting the crossover and normalizing the SPL so to compare fair, maybe more difficult for small amps, but there was a very noticeable gain in transparency and attack, leaving the sensitivity gain aside. Best compromise is series parallel given the woofs are many, in my experience.
Old 28th June 2009, 08:48 PM   #547
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salas
...Easy load, soft sound. When I got em in parallel, by adjusting the crossover and normalizing the SPL so to compare fair, maybe more difficult for small amps, but there was a very noticeable gain in transparency and attack, leaving the sensitivity gain aside. Best compromise is series parallel given the woofs are many, in my experience.
I hear what you say, but maybe I'm into "soft sound"? Mind you, never been accused of that. As for series parallel, that is obligatory in line sources and I am of fan of that. One day I want to do a two metre high line source, great potential genuine efficiency and equally potentially low distortion.

But will most likely let people opt for both variations in the Hamlet, it all depends how the results stack up.

Joe r.
Old 28th June 2009, 09:24 PM   #548
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen

Proof? In these days of photoshopping, can one trust one's eyes?

Yeah, while I was practising my photochopping skills, I did these up at the same time .
Each Cabinet weighs 20.7kg according to my bathroom scales (but my wife reckons the scales are inaccurate, strangely though, only when a female hops on them).

They are quite large, but alot easier to handle than the Elsinore cabinets.
I haven't routed the handle hole (hole for the port) yet as I still haven't gotten some pipe for it.
Old 29th June 2009, 04:12 AM   #549
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rob323

They are quite large, but alot easier to handle than the Elsinore cabinets.
I haven't routed the handle hole (hole for the port) yet as I still haven't gotten some pipe for it.
Surely there has to be something between 50mm and 70mm OD? I seem to recall the old 3" pipe and that should translate to about 75mm. That might just about do at a pinch.

This mob makes 65mm in 6M length:

www.pipeking.com.au

NEWCASTLE - NSW
40 SANDRINGHAM AVE, THORNTON, 2322
Phone: (02) 4966 0477
Fax: (02) 4966 0488
Email: newsales@pipeking.com.au

But there must be retailers that will sell 1M.

Joe R.
Old 29th June 2009, 05:10 AM   #550
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Actually what is the pipe size (dia & length) for the Hamlet?
Same as Elsinore?

I searched but it wasn't mentioned explicitly elsewhere......

Patrick

Hide this!Advertise here!