The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2009, 02:43 AM   #491
Tyson is offline Tyson  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm moving forward on this project, drivers are ordered, parts are ordered, and a friend that is an experienced builder is helping me on this.

One question - can the main brace (the "ladder" brace) use circular cut outs instead of square cut outs?
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:14 AM   #492
Tyson is offline Tyson  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, same question for the cutouts on the front sub panel - can the cuts be circular instead of square?
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:50 AM   #493
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

square cutouts using a jigsaw are far easier/quicker than routing circles out IMO.
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:57 AM   #494
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BL4S7ER
square cutouts using a jigsaw are far easier/quicker than routing circles out IMO.
For circles you use a hole saw.

dave
Old 3rd May 2009, 09:16 PM   #495
rob323 is offline rob323  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyson
Actually, same question for the cutouts on the front sub panel - can the cuts be circular instead of square?
As per Joe's website regarding the square cutouts to the front sub panel:
Quote:
Please Note: The Sub Front Panel are not entirely visible (except for the Tweeter behind Felt Pieces, see below) but sits exactly behind the two Front Panels proper. The square Cut-Outs allows the back of the drivers to have good air-flow into the internal volume.
Changing them to holes would enclose the back of the drivers quite a bit. Ideally not something you would want to do.

As far as using holes in lieu of square/ rectangular cutouts in the main brace, I'll chicken out and leave that one to Joe to answer.
Old 4th May 2009, 01:44 AM   #496
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Default Re: Head up and question

Quote:
Originally posted by hoxuanduc
Hi...

Just a head-up, esp. for US builders: Parts Express has the woofers onsale for $28 per if you buy 4 or more. Great deal!!

Joe, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are the woofers surface mounted or flush mounted? My preference for this odd shape woofer is to surface mount, if possible.

2. Can we use an alternative material for the felt? e.g. my old T shirts glued in layers??? the idea is to build a wave guide here with absorbent materials, right?

3. Parts Express has a 4 in dia x 4 in long port. (approximately 100mm x 100mm) Is this OK?

Thanks!

Duc
Hi Duc

Sorry, but have been a little out of the loop in the last few weeks. Been putting in long hours of amplifier work - the other hat that I also wear.

Only $38 US is an amazing price.

1. Not everybody are able to recess the driver and according to some of DST's info on the driver it was designed to be both. What about the difference in time alignment? Yes, there is a difference and if the driver is sunk further into the baffle the focus point is a little further back but not really consequential. It has to do with the slow rise time of the midbass relative to the rise time of the tweeter which is very fast. This fuzzy time edge, to use a photographic analogy, makes the exact point less critical. This is quite different from normal Butterworth 1st order that has to be milimetre accurate, or so we are told.

2. I suppose the answer is yes, but felt is so ideal. Foam would be my other choice. The current design uses two layer each supposedly 6.35mm, but the felt I sourced is closer to 8-9mm despite what they say. So they must have allowed for some kind of compression or load - but that doesn't apply here. Can you use three layer? Evidently yes as other constructors have done so, but use common sense as you have to interpolate the dimensions of the rectangular cut-outs.

3. The port cut-out has to fit between the two rear panel vertical braces and the space available is 100mm. Can the outside dimension of the port you have in mind fit inside that? If you go for a larger diameter port, the port will need to be longer. The box tuning should end up around 33-34 Hertz and can be checked with basic tools, multimeter and oscillator, when the box is fully assembled. But 4 inch I don't think will be anywhere near long enough.

On the subject of a suitable waveguide proper, this is definitely going to be looked at in the future. The idea would then be to get them made in quantity using a CNC machine, remove the felt, order in a pair of waveguides and simply substitute. The question will then be whether the crossover will nedd some tweaking to get the max out of it. If it does, then it may only need to have the value of C2 trimmed back, the value may be less; this will only become apparent in time.

Mayby this will become Mark 4 - but a reasonably easy upgrade from Mark 3?

Joe R.
Old 4th May 2009, 01:47 AM   #497
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by BL4S7ER
I think most would prefer square. Not sure about round and the effect it will have on both bracing and internal air flow. I could build a pair and test it, but not exactly so inclined and you can hardly blame me. My recommondation, follow the recipe' that is safe.

Joe R.
Old 4th May 2009, 07:45 AM   #498
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Just a head-up, esp. for US builders: Parts Express has the woofers onsale for $28 per if you buy 4 or more. Great deal!!
Are you sure? I think they may have sold out.
Old 4th May 2009, 06:34 PM   #499
diyAudio Member

Darn!

Yes, it appears so

Sorry

Duc
Old 5th May 2009, 05:20 AM   #500
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
I think round cutouts in the braces should be fine.

I'm thinking of building a pair of "Elsinores" - except - using these woofers as the upper two:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-126

I imagine the crossover change will not be too difficult, cabinet will have to be modified some, should be fun

To really cut costs, I might try these tweeters instead of the HDS:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=279-450

Yes - I know it wouldn't be fair to call them Elsinores anymore at that point - but, who knows, might turn out well?

Hide this!Advertise here!