The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2009, 09:35 AM   #481
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by BL4S7ER

Im not sure if im going to install like this but thought it might make it look a little bit different to everyone elses.
That box looks somewhat familiar, is it a WES box?

If it is, something occurred to me... but will wait for answer before I respond further.

If you are using a ribbon tweeter as shown, then if used as a centre channel lying down, it needs 90 degrees rotation. But the HDS tweeter would not have that as a concern.

Joe R.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:26 PM   #482
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

sorry to confuse but the image was just an example to aid in my explanation. the speaker is not my own, and i just linked to another site; link

My center speaker looks MUCH better! (if only).

by the way Joe, any news/update regarding the crossover for the said speaker?
Old 15th April 2009, 01:43 PM   #483
diyAudio Member

Default Cable bias included?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen

Click the image to open in full size.

I was wondering about including cable bias in the 18V bias of the tweeter cap - in other words place everything to the left of the 2x9V bateries (in the picture) on the power amp. Now we have our tweeter cable also biased at 18V, perhaps the equivalent of those mega bucks cables with their own bias?

Any experience and/or comments?

Francois
Old 15th April 2009, 11:51 PM   #484
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Default Re: Cable bias included?

Quote:
Originally posted by Francois G

I was wondering about including cable bias in the 18V bias of the tweeter cap - in other words place everything to the left of the 2x9V bateries (in the picture) on the power amp. Now we have our tweeter cable also biased at 18V, perhaps the equivalent of those mega bucks cables with their own bias?
Don't think the power amp would like it, a tube amp would definitely shorten it to zero volts via the DC resistance of the secondary. An SS amp would likely do the same but for different reasons and the tweeter's DC resistance would reduce the voltage to near nothing.

There must be no DC load on the battery and its series resistor. The current example the battery will last and last, but connect it elsewhere and it won't.

Now how others do use DC in their cables, they must be using some kind of way to isolate that DC from other connected parts of the system. Might they use caps? Isolation transformers? Not as big a problem with interconnects (but still not simple), but with speaker cables? For the time being I'll leave that one alone - but certainly interested in any ideas others might have re how to do it.

Joe R.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:34 PM   #485
diyAudio Member

Well, finaly experiencing Elsinore with 300b mono amps that I built and it sure is wonderful. I certainly can see why Tube use is suggested.

Started by using these amps with the pre-out from an accuphase receiver and was enjoying good dynamics and articulate bass but didn't feel the rest was as good as it should be.
Now running cd straight into mono's and loving the mid's and hi's but lost bass power and definition. Fine with a few recordings.

I've been looking around for a "simple" pre amp project that will work well to drive these amps and remain as neutral as possible.

There is many available but thought someone might be suggest something..

Please email direct if you have any suggestions.

Joel
Old 21st April 2009, 05:45 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

Default Felt for Elsinore - sources or mini group buy?

To those builders in the USA,

What are you using for felt around the tweeter? Where and for how much did you buy it? Is it wool or synthetic fiber? Does the fiber make a difference in Elsinore's performance? What color? Esthetically I would prefer a dark brown to go with my Red Oak boxes, but colors are limited.

I searched and found a couple of felt suppliers but prices are per ft off a roll, usually 60-72 inches wide and in grey or white only. So, 1 ft will have sufficient material for two pairs of Elsinores. Prices are ~$30-60 per ft for 1/4 inch felt, so if two builders share it would cost about $24 for F5 off white felt (see http://www.mcmaster.com/#wool-felt/=1jkswr)

If anyone out there would like to join me on a felt buy please send email.

Thanks,
Francois
Old 21st April 2009, 06:00 PM   #487
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Cable bias included?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen

Don't think the power amp would like it, a tube amp would definitely shorten it to zero volts via the DC resistance of the secondary. An SS amp would likely do the same but for different reasons and the tweeter's DC resistance would reduce the voltage to near nothing.

Joe R.
Joe,

Apologies for my inexact statement of the cable bias idea. My scenario came out of the multi-amping discussion and was limited to the situation where one is using a separate amp to drive only the tweeters.

The first "crossover" cap (or pair of caps if you are using 2x4.7uF) would be on the amp before the speaker cable terminal instead of physically close to the second cap. That would not short the secondary in a tube or other amp. The second cap is in the tweeter crossover as before with everything between the two caps baised, including the speaker cable.

Hard to explain and I'm not able to post drawings. Guess I will have to try it and report back.

Regards and thanks for the fun project and company.
Francois
Old 28th April 2009, 06:02 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Default Head up and question

Hi...

Just a head-up, esp. for US builders: Parts Express has the woofers onsale for $28 per if you buy 4 or more. Great deal!!

Joe, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are the woofers surface mounted or flush mounted? My preference for this odd shape woofer is to surface mount, if possible.

2. Can we use an alternative material for the felt? e.g. my old T shirts glued in layers??? the idea is to build a wave guide here with absorbent materials, right?

3. Parts Express has a 4 in dia x 4 in long port. (approximately 100mm x 100mm) Is this OK?

Thanks!

Duc
Old 28th April 2009, 07:39 PM   #489
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Felt for Elsinore - sources or mini group buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Francois G
To those builders in the USA,

What are you using for felt around the tweeter? Where and for how much did you buy it? Is it wool or synthetic fiber? Does the fiber make a difference in Elsinore's performance? What color? Esthetically I would prefer a dark brown to go with my Red Oak boxes, but colors are limited.

I searched and found a couple of felt suppliers but prices are per ft off a roll, usually 60-72 inches wide and in grey or white only. So, 1 ft will have sufficient material for two pairs of Elsinores. Prices are ~$30-60 per ft for 1/4 inch felt, so if two builders share it would cost about $24 for F5 off white felt (see http://www.mcmaster.com/#wool-felt/=1jkswr)

If anyone out there would like to join me on a felt buy please send email.

Thanks,
Francois
Lots of other sources of felt...

http://www.rods.com/p/755,248_Kodel-...ket-Liner.html

http://www.thefind.com/pets/info-felt-blanket-liner

http://www.moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/

much cheaper than mcmaster... and I doubt that the sound waves will care much about the cost...

John L.
Old 28th April 2009, 09:02 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

Default Felt for Elsinore - sources or mini group buy?

Quote:

Lots of other sources of felt...

http://www.rods.com/p/755,248_Kodel-...ket-Liner.html

http://www.thefind.com/pets/info-felt-blanket-liner

http://www.moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/

much cheaper than mcmaster... and I doubt that the sound waves will care much about the cost...

John L.
Probably not cost but what about hailing from a horse's behind?

More seriously, thank you for the pointer to saddle liners.

Hide this!Advertise here!