The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2009, 09:04 PM   #461
diyAudio Member

Default Elsinore speakers in Melbourne??

Hi
I was wanting to know if anyone in Melbourne has made these and if so would it be possible to have a listen? No rush, just interested to hear what they sound like. Let me know if you have version 1, 2 or 3
Thanks!
Old 5th April 2009, 05:07 AM   #462
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

if you are after a truly strong alcoholic beverage that tastes great! then you need to try Chamay.

Click the image to open in full size.

Brewed by Trappist Monks in Chamay, Germany, its authentic traditionally brewed recipe, fermented in the bottle, and packs quite a punch at 9% alc. vol.

link

costs around $16 aus for a 750mm bottle.
Old 5th April 2009, 06:42 AM   #463
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by CCU

As a Dane who loves his beer, i must say i like your choose in beverges. But i prefer Tuborg gold...
I tell people down here that my definite impression, and not alone, that more Danes drink Tuborg than Carlsberg. Even Tuborg Green is quite nice on the palate. My brother's favourite I think is called Faxe Fad or something? Do you know it. Recall a certain footballer whose nickname was Faxe, John Jensen, because that was his favourite brew?

I tried Carlsberg Master Brew at 10.6% when at the brewery, mate, that is TOO strong, even for me. I hit the limit at 8%.

Come on, who is going to do the DC Bias Tweeter Cap and report back?

Joe R.
Old 5th April 2009, 07:43 AM   #464
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CCU

But i'm done building the original cabinets and have had them play 2 weeks now, must say that i am VERY impressed!

Well done!

Quote:
Originally posted by CCU

Now for the center channel, it sounds different not as good as the fronts, but very close! you said you might have some ideas about crossover changes. What did you have in mind?
But it do sound a lot better than a B&W HTM61

In the center channel cabinet i moved the basport in the middel behind tweeter pointing downward
Excellent. A photo or two would be good to show how you did the centre channel, as well as the others.

Did I post a suggested crossover for the centre channel? If I did, I have forgotten and where?

Joe R.

PS: BTW, how far/long by car car would you be from Hellebaek, if I go visit my sister? No plans yet, but would be nice to meet up some day.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:47 AM   #465
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salas
Hi Joe,

18V (2 bat. in series) would be better since its only one capacitor you concentrate on, and they will last for years. Down to 12V signal the electrostatic microphony phenomenon is mostly strong is mentioned in the video, so better cover more range higher up. It will be interesting to hear for differences with one vs two batteries as an easy test.

OK on that. Below is what I have set up my Elsinores with 18V - the 1K or similar value becomes a necessity to keep the input to the filter at 0V at all times - some amps will not like it if it isn't included:

Have only just done it and had a quick listen. No huge improvement like that of a single battery, but it does seem to help, so it's pobably the way to go.

Joe R.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:08 PM   #466
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
hi joe do you mean a huge improvement from no battery to a battery?

my crossovers are not boxed although working well i may be able to try this soon

-Dan
Old 6th April 2009, 01:53 PM   #467
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danieljw
hi joe do you mean a huge improvement from no battery to a battery?

my crossovers are not boxed although working well i may be able to try this soon

-Dan
Sound like you are the man!

If you are using 4.7uF you are currently using two, one per channel. But now you will need eight - have you got that?

If not, as an alternative, go to a Jaycar store and get some 4.7uF/250 MP (metalised polypropolene) - they say they are for crossover in their catalogue if I remember right. They are bright yellow:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...r&form=KEYWORD

They are $9.95 each. I buy them wholesale as I have an account with them, so they are not that expensive to me. If you have one pair already, you only need six. Just make sure that the two channels are the same and the location on one channel matches the other channel.

You can also buy the other bits at the same time:

2 x 100K 1W

2 x 1K 1W

4 x 9V Batteries

4 x Battery Clips to suit battery

That and a handy soldering iron.

Joe R.
Old 6th April 2009, 02:21 PM   #468
diyAudio Member

I've have the quad capacitors with 9v in place. Left out the 1k resistor with no problems. Needs some time to go back and forth before I say anything but thought it might be a good time to talk about a recent story.

A few weeks ago a work friend told me that he purchased a new LP called Buddy and Julie Miller - Written in chalk.. RTI 180g pressing

Friend complained about some terrible sibilance causing his tweeters to distort and make this record unenjoyable and asked if I could try it on my systems..

I took it home a few days later. It sort of a country thing whith the two singers recorded, one in center and the other slightly off center and more forward in the mix. I immediatley noticed that there was strong energy in part of the treble that made the singers sound sort of intense I guess, and violins on one track also had this character as well..

The whole time I listened to this record on the Elsinore the tweeter never distorted and had no problem dealing with it but I was aware that the mix or pressing or whatever was not quite right..
I listened to the LP right through and enjoyed it..

Now, I play the record on my second system with scanspeak tweeter and there goes the tweeter breaking up on the S's and C's and distorting, off and on when things are pushed..

I bring Lp to work to give it back and He is amazed that I hear this problem on one system and not the other..

My friend wants to give me the Lp and I insist that he try it again because I know he likes the music but I also appreciated it as well but figure maybe second time through he may find that the problem is minimal so He takes it home for another couple of tries..

Anyway, I come into work today and I'm handed the lp Buddy and Julie Miller- Written in chalk.

Joel
Old 7th April 2009, 04:41 AM   #469
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

RE: DC Bias in Crossovers

Does it matter if the amp is tube or solid state?
Old 7th April 2009, 05:15 AM   #470
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BL4S7ER
RE: DC Bias in Crossovers

Does it matter if the amp is tube or solid state?
No, it should work with any amp. But to be safe, especially with SS, be sure to include that 1K resistor.

Joe R.

Hide this!Advertise here!