Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2009, 09:43 PM   #431
Tyson is offline Tyson  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like I am going to be able to give this project a go, yes!

Three more questions:

1. I would like to build a small plinth (base) slightly wider than the speaker and use some spikes for stability/leveling purposes (I have a very inquisitive 2 year old daughter). Will this alter the sound?

2. If I build the passive crossover (instead of using my DCX), can I still set it up so that I can passively biamp? I've got 2 VTA ST-70 stereo amps (EL34 based), and it would be nice to be able to use both of them.

3. In my living room there is no way that I can pull them away from the wall as far as recommended. I assume this distance is recommended due to the port on the back. If I know before I start that I will only be able to get them 6 to 8 inches away from the rear wall, is there anything I can do with the port to compensate for that? Or should I just build it as designed, and then use my DCX to EQ out the likely in-room bass hump?
Old 23rd March 2009, 05:33 PM   #432
diyAudio Member

Question 2 reply. The "standard" Elsinore plans allow for just this situation. The crossover is intended to be external so that each "filter band" goes directly to the connectors for the corresponding driver(s), i.e. you amps could be directly connected to drivers if you feed the right band pass from you electronic crossover.

I don't know the answers for questions 1 and 3 (I would also be very interested in an reply to #3).

Best wishes with your Elsinores.

Francois
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:51 PM   #433
rob323 is offline rob323  Australia
diyAudio Member

I found my Elsinore's very forgiving as far as placement close to a wall was concerned but I imagine having them that close to a wall would be far from "ideal" and it would be impossible for anyone else to say how your room would react.

I have a timber plinth on mine with spikes. I'll let Joe confirm it but I suspect that as the plinth is so close to the floor, it's effect is next to nothing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:33 PM   #434
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Thanks Guys

Thanks for helping out as I have been a bit incognito of late.

The optimum distance from the wall has little to do with the port being on the rear. Even allowing for 6-8 inches it will not significantly interfere with the port action (unless jammed against the wall with zero gap). But what is optimal location in the room is a different matter, so don't worry, build it as shown. It will still work OK.

As for using two amplifiers, the crossover schematic shows exactly that:

Click the image to open in full size.

Note that the Tweeter gets its own amplifier. As this is a 2 1/2 Way system, all 6.5" drivers sees same large amplitude at low frequencies, so in this case is the correct way to "Bi-Wire."

In conventional 3-Ways, I would connect the Midrange and Tweeter legs of the crossover together and the high amplitude Bass on its own. So you can see there is a difference between 3-Way and 2 1/2 Way systems.

Re the plinth on the bottom, this is fine, and adds stability. Being near the floor has no adverse effects to the design proper. BTW, nice picture Rob. I am adding it to the gallery and should be there by the time you read this.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE PHOTOS AS I WANT TO EXPAND THE GALLERY PAGE?

www.customanalogue.com/elsinore/elsinore_13.htm

It would be much appreciated and by others too I'd think. I would prefer finished or working Elsinore pics, even working ones yet to be finished (lacking final polish), as this will show variety. As long as it will be interesting to somebody.

Joe R.
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:43 PM   #435
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
i can take some pics and send Joe

-Dan
Old 24th March 2009, 05:21 AM   #436
diyAudio Member

I have begun the construction of molds for concrete Elsinores (chopped strand glass and fine ground tire rubber to be included). I will provide pictures as soon as the molds begin to look like something.
Old 24th March 2009, 06:47 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by danieljw
i can take some pics and send Joe

-Dan
Great! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally posted by mantraxl
I have begun the construction of molds for concrete Elsinores (chopped strand glass and fine ground tire rubber to be included). I will provide pictures as soon as the molds begin to look like something.
That should be quite interesting.

Re alternative materials, sometime I'd like to try doing the front panel assembly using HD3, the high density version of MDF. The front panel is where you need it most, the rest could be normal MDF. Lenehan Audio in Queensland does a mini-monitor made of HD3 and a definite improvement over the MDF version.

Joe R.
Old 24th March 2009, 06:52 AM   #438
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

Right im 90% there (or maybe not :/ )

Got my Elsinores including center (hamlet?) all built, and am just putting the final coats on. Finished using American Oak veneer and have just completed a two part stain (spirit based black stain followed by Black Japan stain).
So far so good, just have to apply a french polish followed by satin polyurathane topcoat and then install drivers!! yay.

Since im so close i though now might be a good time to get an order in for the components required for the crossover and since ive got a centre im hoping to get an idea as to what values are going to change.
Do the values on page four still stand?

Quote:
Change L2 from 1mH to 1.8mH or 2mH (main diffraction correction)
Change R3 from 3R to 6R to 8R (this changes Tweeter attenuation to -6dB)
For C14 use 2.7 to 3uF (the 8R2 larger value changes rollover point - this is the correction) Leave the optional values in the Conjugate Filter as before.
The one value that needs to be tweaked by ear is R3. Try standard values 6R8 and 8R2 and some value in the middle of that.
Exciting stuff, and i look forward to finally hearing what all the fuss is about!

Will post some pics of current progress later tonight.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:40 AM   #439
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

as promised heres a pic of the baby speaker (though it still weighs a far bit). Is pretty hard to get photos to show all the detail, so this ones a little over exposed, and in reality they appear much darker (purposely designed this way as its going to be placed in a ht room with a projector).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker.jpg (79.6 KB, 749 views)
Old 24th March 2009, 10:30 AM   #440
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
Nice work BL4S7ER the finish looks very nice

-Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!