The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2007, 03:19 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

bump?
Old 21st March 2007, 04:55 PM   #32
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Yes, basically it wont work .... more specific its hard to say without having more information

Half size ... is that half diameter or half the areal .... if its half diameter it will be too small

Also remember when you change port size, the length also changes

Remember its 4 drivers - a port of 90 x 80mm may not be much, as it is
Old 24th March 2007, 02:28 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Finished the project. i'm absolutely blown away. these things sound INCREDIBLE. I hope more people use this design
Old 24th March 2007, 03:02 AM   #34

Old 24th March 2007, 04:06 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
Finished the project. i'm absolutely blown away. these things sound INCREDIBLE. I hope more people use this design

Good to hear. It may indeed encourage others to build them. It's a BIG system with a BIG sound. Makes most of the conservative two-ways sound less than inspiring.

Re the port: Can you tell me the exact inner diameter and I should be able to indicate the correct length.

It is not that it won't work with a smaller diameter port, but the max power before onset of port related problems is lessened. The max power may be reduced by as much as 2-4 times. So if you use a twenty watt amp (in a not too big room that is easily enough) then the smaller port would be acceptable, but only acceptable.

Let me know.

One other thing: With so many drivers plus crossover, it is easy to make a wiring mistake, especially not getting ALL drivers in correct phase. Have you DOUBLE-checked and TRIPLE-checked? You want to make sure you get the max performance after all that effort.

Joe R.
Old 24th March 2007, 04:10 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I just realised you'd said 50mm. The rear panel is 25mm, so a 50mm hole makes for a port 25mm deep...

What I'm saying, don't use a port at all, just leave the 50mm diameter hole as is. Try it and report back.

Joe R.
Old 3rd April 2007, 10:24 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

hey Joe

Just checked out the website, see you did some updates! my comment is on there too!

now that i've completed the project, just have a couple more questions.
is the material on the diffraction wedge important? mine right now is just bare MDF. should i be covering it?
also, i noticed the peices of foam you put on the top on bottom. is this important too? should i try this? what material did you use?
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:22 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
hey Joe

Just checked out the website, see you did some updates! my comment is on there too!

now that i've completed the project, just have a couple more questions. is the material on the diffraction wedge important? mine right now is just bare MDF. should i be covering it? also, i noticed the peices of foam you put on the top on bottom. is this important too? should i try this? what material did you use?

My apologies, I should have asked first. I liked it because that comment was so spontaneous! OK?

It's the SHAPE that is important, but I like the idea of using thin absorbent felt here and cover it. I admit I didn't run tests on it. It's easy enough to get from craft stores (you have those?) and apply with a bit of glue. Re the foam, with the Peerless tweeter there is a bit of a suckout around 6KHz. Use foam of reasonable density or felt in about the same position, that fixes it.

There will be more updates on the websites either later today and next few days, to reflect the emphasis on the new Mk2 status. In about a week latest it should be done.

Joe R.
Old 6th April 2007, 09:35 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Yeah its absolutely OK!
its the least i can do considering all the work you did for us DIYers to use your design.

Now i'm back for some more help! haha
I would like to build a center channel to match. I was looking at the already built cabinets on Parts Express. You can get MTM boxes, which i would turn sideways and set on my TV. I would like to use the same woofers and tweeter in the center, but need to know which size box i should get. I can get a 1.0 CU FT or 0.75 CU FT. Which would be more acceptable?
Also, would it be easy to design a crossover to timbre match with the elsinores?

Later on, i would also like to build rear speakers to have a complete matching system. As of now, i have Paradigm mini monitors in the back.

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2007, 10:54 PM   #40

Do yourself a favour and use a coaxial driver fore center speaker

Hide this!Advertise here!