The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2009, 09:03 PM   #361
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
here is where my build is at.....

PS Rob and Tinitus,

I am using a countersinking bit/drill with 8g x 50mm

cheers for the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panels.jpg (82.0 KB, 845 views)
Old 7th February 2009, 10:30 PM   #362
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Great idea. great project name

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen

Alright, it sounds like Hamlet in 2009 will happen. All interested parties stay posted.

Within a couple of weeks I will post a provisional Hamlet crossover based on what available modeling material I have here.

Joe R.
I am so waiting for these.
Friend wants me to build a small two way.

Any info yet on;
choice of drivers ?
cabinet volume ?

Many thanks for all your hard work and effort....
Old 7th February 2009, 11:41 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Default Re: Re: Re: Great idea. great project name

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMutt

I am so waiting for these.
Friend wants me to build a small two way.

Any info yet on;
choice of drivers ?
cabinet volume ?

Many thanks for all your hard work and effort....
What is your location? Sydney or nearby?

Joe R.
Old 8th February 2009, 09:12 AM   #364
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
still waiting for drivers and crossover parts...
little bit of progres today though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg es resize.jpg (84.3 KB, 812 views)
Old 8th February 2009, 03:28 PM   #365
imadork is offline imadork  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm also eager to follow the progress of the "Hamlet", as I have recently hired a carpenter to build the Elsinore cabinets with a special birch finish (sorry, the norwegian-english dictionary didn't have the translation for "flammebjørk"...)
Having a matching centre channel would be great as I believe my current PSB C60 will be a gross mismatch with the Elsinores (and I need a solid stand for my 52" Samsung ). If there is a 99% likelihood that the current cabinet drawings from page 4 will work fine, I'm all set to go. Guess the X-over design might change before the Hamlet project is finalized, but I'll follow the progress here closely. Keep up the good work, fellas..!!
Old 9th February 2009, 07:18 AM   #366
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen

What is your location? Sydney or nearby?

Joe R.

Sorry, no where near you.
Brisbane.

I've met Rob, but sadly had to go (audio meet) before I heard his Elsinores.
They look brilliant though....
Old 9th February 2009, 02:35 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

I am confused, will the Hamlet center channel speaker be a horizontal MTM, or a BMTMB? Since both have been under discussion recently, I am unsure. I personally am hoping for the bmtmb, since A) I would like to have a large and dynamic center to match the Elsinores that I am starting to build, and B) because I think that I could learn a lot at how the crossover is changed to accomodate the same drivers in a different orientation.

An idea I had was that one could make a square center channel with a vertically arrayed MTM, and then place the bass-reinforcing midwoofers to the sides of the tweeter. A diamond shaped arrangement on a squarish (or wider) baffle. The idea is that you still have a somewhat compact speaker, but minimal comb filtering, since hopefully the bass speakers would be close enough to one another as to not nullify one another significantly. Does that make any sense?

Looking forward to the latest developments!!
Old 9th February 2009, 10:14 PM   #368
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danieljw
still waiting for drivers and crossover parts...
little bit of progres today though
Your project looks great Daniel , I want to use the peerles HDS tweeter in the future because it must be very good sounding.

Go on with the good work

Old 10th February 2009, 06:07 AM   #369
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by mantraxl
I am confused, will the Hamlet center channel speaker be a horizontal MTM, or a BMTMB? Since both have been under discussion recently, I am unsure. I personally am hoping for the bmtmb, since A) I would like to have a large and dynamic center to match the Elsinores that I am starting to build, and B) because I think that I could learn a lot at how the crossover is changed to accomodate the same drivers in a different orientation.

An idea I had was that one could make a square center channel with a vertically arrayed MTM, and then place the bass-reinforcing midwoofers to the sides of the tweeter. A diamond shaped arrangement on a squarish (or wider) baffle. The idea is that you still have a somewhat compact speaker, but minimal comb filtering, since hopefully the bass speakers would be close enough to one another as to not nullify one another significantly. Does that make any sense?

Looking forward to the latest developments!!
Definitely MTM as seen post 60:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...01#post1184401

This would be suitable for centre channel and rear channels, indeed all round it preferred. That means that Elsinore and Hamlet speakers can be used flexibly in multi-channel and AV situs.

Other than that, there is nothing proposed. Not until at least the Hamlet is done.

Joe R.
Old 10th February 2009, 07:45 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

Some pics of my Elsinore Do you like them?
Click the image to open in full size.
From left to right on the table AMC 2030 amp, in the center Vincent preamp, Nad CDP Onkyo CDP, on the left Hafler amp over DB Technologies MT530 amp.

This is the external crossover box. I want to cover it with plexiglass.
Click the image to open in full size.
I wanted to use more highend component, but in the end the cheap side of me prevailed. I'll try in the future a better tweeter resistor than MOX I used; however MOX resistor are normally used in "highend" kit published in hifi magazines, so they must be not so bad.

I have calm my room, I read your article Joe that features triangles and strips, yes for sure they're effective but they aren't the nicest thing in the world to furnish the room, unless they have the name of a famous designer on it
A large bookshelf behind the speakers and heavy drapery could do the job?

In the last post I forgot to mention:

The sound coming out the Elsinores has also a great "vertical dimension" wich add a lot to the perception of the soundstage.

Hide this!Advertise here!