The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2009, 02:57 AM   #351
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
Hi Guys,

the drivers and tweeters are on the way !!!!!

The MDF will be picked up tommorrow !!!!!!!

I cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Dan
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:31 AM   #352
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
about to make a whole lot of sawdust
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:00 PM   #353
diyAudio Member

The port I used is a 2 1/2 inch ABS coupling used in plumbing. Maybe someone has already discovered this but the size of said coupling is 90mm inside, 82mm long and 100mm outside. I coudn't believe it when found this..
You have to ream or grind out the ridge on the inside and cut or sand to 80mm length
It fits snuggly between the two stiffening panels.

Joel
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:17 AM   #354
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The port I used is a 2 1/2 inch ABS coupling used in plumbing
Sorry, that should read 3 inch ABS coupling

I've gotten away from playing the Beatles, but through the Elsinore, Revolver and Abbey Road sounded the best that I have heard them sound.. I'm a Beatles fan Again

Joel
Old 4th February 2009, 08:59 PM   #355
diyAudio Member

Hello, I've finished building my Elsinore speaker from several months, I think it was in october if I'm not wrong.

I've been playing with them for a lot of months. You know playing with the crossover is a lot of fun. And I also tried different position in room and different gear.

I tried also the crossover inside/outside the cabinet. I now have it outside, it's way better outside. I don't know if I had choosen the right layout( I tried) of inductors in the internal version, but the FR must have been different since there were sonic differences. Also at high volume the sound seemed to me less confused.

The Elsinore speaker is clearly designed for valve amplifier, I have an AMC 2030 wich have 4 EL34 for 30W in class A. If you use solid state amplifier I think the Elsinore are not so neutral, they're on the bright side.

The bass, and dynamic in general is great. The speaker is clear also at high volume, so distortion is low, very low for an hifi speaker.

The soundstage is great, is impressive. Only some sounds seem to come from the tweeter.

The less apparent quality is the phase coerence, but it is clearly audible with the voices.

Someone before was saying this tweeter wasn't detailed, but it is detailed.

Now I have some question to the designer:
1)What is exactly the function of the feld around the tweeter?

2)I tried to add an RC circuit until R=4ohm C=2,2uF. Then I reverted to the original crossover because the I think it make worse offaxis performance. Could you show me what changes in FR with/without the RC circuit?

3)I also use those speaker connected to a PA amp to see movies with a group of people,please could you give me some tip to change the values of xover components to make the speaker more suitable to the amp?

4) What do you think of the so called "BBC dip"? Do it or not in designing a speaker?

Thank you for designing this great laudspeaker.

PS
I don't want to bother you with all those questions but I'm studying to do one on my own in the future, a low cost bookshelf just to learn.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:33 PM   #356
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Nice to hear that its recommendable

Only misses an RC(zobel) on tweeter...you should try it

Ahh, just seen you have

Its important to find the exact right values...according to the higher lords of driver design it deals with voice coil induction(mH)
Old 5th February 2009, 02:11 PM   #357
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Elsinore speaker is clearly designed for valve amplifier, I have an AMC 2030 wich have 4 EL34 for 30W in class A. If you use solid state amplifier I think the Elsinore are not so neutral, they're on the bright side
I am using 3 solid state amps with the Elsinore and the sound with each is soooo not brite and is very neutral.. In fact the treble is one of the many achievements and audible pleasures of this design. The treble is accurate, controlled and never says "look at me".

I'm using the crossover as shown.

I cant say enough about how good these speakers are. More friends that have stopped in say the same thing..
Old 5th February 2009, 08:26 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am using 3 solid state amps with the Elsinore and the sound with each is soooo not brite and is very neutral.. In fact the treble is one of the many achievements and audible pleasures of this design. The treble is accurate, controlled and never says "look at me".
What SS amplifier do you use? I have an Hafler 9130. Anyway I think with SS amplifier they're on the bright side, but not bright as the snow. With valve amplifier they sound neutral, I have a AMC 2030+ a Vincent SA31 wich is a tube preamplifier.

Anyway it depends on what speaker you're used to listen and room.

Quote:
I cant say enough about how good these speakers are
yes they are!
Old 5th February 2009, 10:58 PM   #359
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I reckon they would be a good match with smallish simple SS amps
Old 6th February 2009, 02:29 AM   #360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What SS amplifier do you use?
Been switching between Pioneer A-27, Bryston B-60 and Accuphase E-202. None of these are bright at all but the Bryston treble is the least desirable. All three amps sound good though.

Preference is for Accuphase by a considerable margin but then it has been overhauled with all new capacitors, biased and cleaned. The sound is wide open and detailed with control.

I experimented with a few low end sources with poor results and felt this were I could really disrupt the sound..

I'll be using a pair of 300bs in the near future. cant wait.

I

Hide this!Advertise here!