The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2008, 01:04 PM   #301
diyAudio Member

no comment on the bass??
Old 20th December 2008, 01:48 PM   #302
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by beauistheman
no comment on the bass??
I was hoping Rob, who has built them, would convince you that they are more than adequate in the bass. Right now, in another forum, there is an ongoing discussion re dynamic compression in conventional "dynamic" drivers/speakers. It seems that "dynamic" is a misnomer in this case as compression is clearly the opposite. The Elsinores were conceived more than four years ago re the theory of distributing and reducing thermal load, to the point that around and below 300 Hertz it is reduced by a theoretical 16:1 and also better than 4:1 into the midrange. It also helps that the final tweeter configuration also reduces it by near 3:1 - those are based on fairly solid figures that translates well into practice.

I have designed subs that go well below 20 Hertz. In my room the Elsinores are flat down to 30 Hertz using 1/6th Octave RTA measurement (pink noise test). But I never use the subs because, in spite that they don't go as low as the subs, the shear quality of the Elsinores in the bass is so far superior. I don't feel I need the subs at all.

Keep in mind that compression is at the highest at the initial of the transient, then ultra-low compression in the Elsinores gives you the impression that it takes little power or not great amounts of SPL to "get them going", whereas it is common with commercial speakers this size usually needs a "muscle" amp and and then turn up the wick, before they start sounding dynamic. Also, incredibly low compression translates into an ease and impression that there is unbelievable headroom that can be instantly tapped into.

BTW, another way that others have achieved low compression with dynamic drivers, is the use of Line Sources (but more difficult to get genuine extension). But a good pair of those are quite a bit more expensive. The technology in the Elsinores gets you much of the same advantages with moderate cost and real bass power.

So if bass is your thing, then I am sure that you will not be disappointed, but keep in mind that they do much more than just that.

Joe R.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:42 PM   #303
rob323 is offline rob323  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beauistheman
so you`ve tried these? They deliver nice bass?
Sorry for the late response guys.

beauistheman, I built these speakers towards the end of last year and I am still extremely satisfied with their bass performance (as well their performance in general) one year down the track

They have a very musical bass and can load the room with some serious pressure and punch when you turn the wick up, which is soooo easy to do as they remain so crisp and clear, even at stupid levels.

They also excel when used in a home theatre setup and I don't run any subs with them for either two channel listening or when watching movies.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:46 PM   #304
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
I've been wanting to build a home theater setup and have heard so much good about these speakers now that i desited to build elsinore speakers
I've also heard a 2 way speaker with the Nomex drivers brother and the HDS tweeter, it soundet fantastik and i can only imagine that these speakers will be amazing to, Amadeus HDS-6D The kit in the bottom, in danish only sorry.

planning on using them as sur/back speakers, but laked a little someting in the 2 bottom actaves for stereo use

but i must have missed the final conclusion on the center speaker, how did it end up? 16ohms MTM?
Is it possible to make it a MMTMM, by simply moving one speaker unit to the other side? size is not a problem
Old 28th December 2008, 02:17 AM   #305
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by CCU
...but i must have missed the final conclusion on the center speaker, how did it end up? 16ohms MTM?
Nothing came of it. I offered to do the rest if a person built the boxes (I think Rob323 was toying with the idea and he is a couple of hours drive from here) and brought it here. Alas, the offer was not accepted and I moved on.

Quote:
Originally posted by CCU
Is it possible to make it a MMTMM, by simply moving one speaker unit to the other side? size is not a problem
Not sure if I understand the question. Oh, maybe I do. Hmm... it would make for a BIG centre speaker.

Something occurred to me, but need to know the answer: Are you able to do pink noise 1/3rd Octave in-room tests? As this is a centre speaker, perhaps diffraction loss is not that critical. And what we have in mind should be able to tweak by ear. Pink noise tests would help.

I think we could get somewhere if you are willing? I think a 16 Ohm MTM is possible. We are not starting totally from scratch...

Grevinge? I know where that is. I was born in Frederiksberg, not far from Carlsberg (and the Zoo), although I am more partial to Tuborg Green.

Joe R.
Old 28th December 2008, 03:21 AM   #306
rob323 is offline rob323  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen
[B]

Nothing came of it. I offered to do the rest if a person built the boxes (I think Rob323 was toying with the idea and he is a couple of hours drive from here) and brought it here. Alas, the offer was not accepted and I moved on.
I still have plans for these but they probably won't happen until mid to late next year Joe (too many hobbies, not enough time).

I'm a little more than a couple of hours drive, closer to about 11 hours .
Old 28th December 2008, 01:48 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

i am unfortunetly not able to make the measurements, since i don't own any equipment. also the reason why i am building speaker kits

ups i didn't mean a mmtmm but a BMTMB, Hope you get what i mean from the picture i added.

And i must say i also favor Tuborg green
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center.jpg (91.3 KB, 962 views)
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:21 AM   #308
BL4S7ER is offline BL4S7ER  Australia
diyAudio Member

im currently in the process of building LCR elsinore speakers. Regarding the centre design im just following the details as listed on page 4 of this thread. All parts are cut and im awaiting binding posts before assembling all the boxes. Im holding off purchasing corssover components until all the boxes are built.
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:01 AM   #309
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rob323

<SNIP>

They have a very musical bass and can load the room with some serious pressure and punch when you turn the wick up, which is soooo easy to do as they remain so crisp and clear, even at stupid levels.

<SNIP>
I have heard Rob's speakers and can vouch for the "adequacy" of the bass.
I refer you to the lyrics of "Sonic Attack" by Hawkwind. W'oh! That dates me! :-)

Doug
Old 5th January 2009, 07:40 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Okay i'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress

Hide this!Advertise here!