The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 163 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2013, 08:27 AM   #1621
diyAudio Member

Default waveguides cut-out

Hi guys,

I have just started making a pair of Elsinores, on Joe's drawings it has the wave guide cut out at 152mm (dependant on waveguide) but Joel who I ordered the a pair of wave guys from says it is much better with a 151mm hole +/-.1 or .2mm. As 152mm is a standard holesaw size I was planning to go get an appropriate hole saw, however is is that 1mm bigger than Joel feels is ideal (and I doubt able to get the precision he is talking about.

What size has everyone else used for their cut-outs, how have they cut them and what level of accuracy do they think they achieved?

Thanks.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:50 PM   #1622
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

For Joel's waveguides, I used 151mm.

For the hole itself, I used a jasper jig with a router (see posts #1004, #1020/1021 and #1216). I never actually measured the accuracy of the cut, but, it must be pretty darn good as they fit very well.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:07 PM   #1623
dondiba is offline dondiba  France
diyAudio Member

Default tweeter

hi
now that i 've got the round wave guides, thanks to Joel,
i'm trying to figure out how to install the tweeters
i've done a very ugly sketch : it seems to me that the tweeter is screwed onto the wave guide but not onto the wood panels
only the wave guide is screwed to the front panel (maybe the screws are long enough to go somehow into the sub front-panel)

if it is so, would it be useful to use longer screws, 75 mm long, and an a sort of metallic ring of 150 mm external diameter to get a stronger tight ?
don diba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new plan install tweet.JPG (11.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg new plan install tweet with ring.JPG (14.6 KB, 362 views)
Old 8th November 2013, 10:18 PM   #1624
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Re Waveguides -somebody should try make some using a 3D printer.
Old 9th November 2013, 01:07 PM   #1625
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondiba View Post
hi
now that i 've got the round wave guides, thanks to Joel,
i'm trying to figure out how to install the tweeters
i've done a very ugly sketch : it seems to me that the tweeter is screwed onto the wave guide but not onto the wood panels
only the wave guide is screwed to the front panel (maybe the screws are long enough to go somehow into the sub front-panel)

if it is so, would it be useful to use longer screws, 75 mm long, and an a sort of metallic ring of 150 mm external diameter to get a stronger tight ?
don diba
I mounted my tweeters to the waveguide and screwed the waveguide into the sub front panel as you outlined. I just used the the wood screws Joel sent with the waveguide and they worked fine. The fit seems very tight.

That said, you could use a long threaded screw and a T-nut:

T-nut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That might be easier than machining and aligning your ring concept, although I do like the ring concept.
Old 11th November 2013, 03:45 AM   #1626
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
So, for the past seven or eight months, I have been running the first of the Bolserst modifications. Recall, Stage 1 is the placing of 33R resistors across each of the bass/mid drivers. I have not posted anything earlier as I wanted to live with the change for a while to get a more complete impression on the effects on the overall sound of the speaker.

Admittedly, after seeing Joe's graphs, I was not expecting the Stage 1 mod to make that much of a difference. Boy was I wrong. As tpate advertised, the effect is fairly dramatic. The bass tightened up considerably and the ever-so-slight harshness I felt I had around the crossover point with the tweeter has completely disappeared. The sound is somewhat less bright, but does not lack detail or resolution. The best part was the imaging became substantially better and the overall projection of depth into the room even deeper.

From my viewpoint, with my build, the sound is full, wide, deep, focused and a bit more integrated across the frequency range. They may be a slight tad south of neutral, but not by much (if at all). The sound is somewhat relaxed but again, does not lack any detail or resolution. I can listen to them for hours and hours and hours. I am supremely happy.

At this point, I am holding off on the rest of the mods for two reasons. One, with my build, I am now pretty happy with the results and the next stages take quite a bit more effort to implement. I have to decide how best to test drive the remaining mods before committing to a big change to the cross-overs. Two, I want to experiment with a new amplifier I have just brought online before I make any other changes to the speakers. More on that to come....
I also haven't posted for ages but after reading your results with the 33ohm resistors some tweaking seems in order. About 3 months ago I retired my CD player and went for a media server and streaming device (Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6). I expected some improvement due to a higher quality D to A converter but the difference is quite staggering. The Elsinore's positively light up. I've noticed that the Elsinore's "tell it like it is" very much. A good recording sounds very good and a bad one is quite noticeably flawed. You mentioned that imaging seems improved with the Bolserst mod MK1. Hard to imagine how it could be improved but I can't wait to give it a go. Still enjoying my Elsinore's immensely.
Old 1st December 2013, 08:54 PM   #1627
diyAudio Member

Does enybody of the Elsinore builders has experince with the speaker in small rooms like 15 sqm.
Im interessted in the Elsinor project but I m not shure if I would overload the room in the bass region with this speakers.

Roland
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:12 AM   #1628
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

That's quite a small room. You might be better off building Joe's Hamlets. I am running Elsinore's in a room of about 8M x 5M which I consider to be just big enough for them. Much smaller and they would become overpowering in my opinion.
Old 2nd December 2013, 03:51 AM   #1629
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd3500rg View Post
Does enybody of the Elsinore builders has experince with the speaker in small rooms like 15 sqm.
Im interessted in the Elsinor project but I m not shure if I would overload the room in the bass region with this speakers.

Roland
No worries about too much bass if you seal the vents.

Other options include active equalization, such as the "Audyssy" feature built into many modern recievers.
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:18 AM   #1630
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your comments.

I was interessted in because at the moment i built up tube monoamps (300B PP likewise Allen Wright did,the big Allen W. Preamp i have build from his schematics is still working) and so i need a speaker with flat impedance and a bit more SPL than my actual speakers to have fun and not stress the amps.

As you see i have no possibility to tune or equalize in an active way.

Roland

Hide this!Advertise here!