The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 161 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2013, 03:51 PM   #1601
ific is offline ific  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Thanks Joe!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Ific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
My apologies, got overtaken by events, including my ClioFW developing a Firewire connection problem and had to be sent to Italy for repair and now $450 later got it back.

When it gets a little warmer, will get the Hamlet work done - so I am next month. As there are many similarities with the Elsinores, I don't think there are going to be many problems and reinventing the wheels. So once started, it should come together quickly.

But it comes down to it most likely being a 4 Ohm nominal design (if it does not drop below 2.8 Ohm it qualifies as nominal), but the actual impedance 3 Ohm flat from 40 Hertz up. Also, it can be current driven by those who want to build the 40 Watt Transconductance Amp.

Cheers, Joe

Old 7th August 2013, 02:12 AM   #1602
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
But it comes down to it most likely being a 4 Ohm nominal design (if it does not drop below 2.8 Ohm it qualifies as nominal), but the actual impedance 3 Ohm flat from 40 Hertz up.
Hi Joe,

Have you ruled out the potential 12ohm version in lieu of the 4 ohm version? Or is that still open as a possibility?
Old 3rd September 2013, 03:25 AM   #1603
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default another entry

well they are not quite finished yet, but they are singing . at this time i have them braking in in the garage. low Qms, high Fs maybe hard to brake loose since once in the room they will never play to high volumes. one sounded good right off the bat. the other one started harsh with some crackling noises but improved after 2-3 hours. Thank you Joe! I found your approach to design quite agreeing with me, very logical. using four of the same kind calls for a good driver though, but since Troels G. also recommended them for their ability to reproduce vocals, that made up my mind. they are a bit over 65L that I was looking for, mine are over 80L, but hopefully they can make it inside the house without my wife pushing me out. getting them breathing space away from the back wall will be a chalenge though . I attach a few pics for the record. the back veneer and stain are still to come.
Old 3rd September 2013, 03:31 AM   #1604
diyAudio Member

Default ...?

not sure why the pics did not show after i uploaded the attachments? will investigate tomorrow. it's too late for tonight. sorry.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:49 AM   #1605
diyAudio Member

Default adding pics

here trying to upload the pics in a different format.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SK_ElsinSpk_frontfinished.JPG (37.4 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg SK_ElsinSpk_cornerdetail.JPG (34.3 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg SK_ElsinSpk_openback.JPG (60.9 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg SK_ElsinSpk_openbackstuffed.JPG (49.9 KB, 445 views)
Old 6th September 2013, 01:49 AM   #1606
diyAudio Member

Interesting take on Joe's design koja.

Why did change the internal brace design?
Old 6th September 2013, 03:01 AM   #1607
diyAudio Member

Default re: bracing

well actually it was Joe who strayed away from the conventional. this makes for a stiffer box, especially if the back gets glued all around and to the braces as well (like these will be when finished). as an added bonus the XO coils can be distributed along the height for minimum interference. normally the chamber behind the tweet would also get stuffed but that does not jive well with Joe's bass concept where all drivers should communicate with the port at the bottom. I also took a risk with an added brace at an angle and moving the port lower and violating a rule there, almost chickened out , but it seems to have worked out well. I am enjoying them. Eventually I may engineer an upgrade to my low end B&W setup to compare against these and see which one is a keeper but I have another project to do before that, so Elsinores should not be contested for the next two years.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:26 PM   #1608
diyAudio Member

Default Bolserst Mod - Stage 1

So, for the past seven or eight months, I have been running the first of the Bolserst modifications. Recall, Stage 1 is the placing of 33R resistors across each of the bass/mid drivers. I have not posted anything earlier as I wanted to live with the change for a while to get a more complete impression on the effects on the overall sound of the speaker.

Admittedly, after seeing Joe's graphs, I was not expecting the Stage 1 mod to make that much of a difference. Boy was I wrong. As tpate advertised, the effect is fairly dramatic. The bass tightened up considerably and the ever-so-slight harshness I felt I had around the crossover point with the tweeter has completely disappeared. The sound is somewhat less bright, but does not lack detail or resolution. The best part was the imaging became substantially better and the overall projection of depth into the room even deeper.

From my viewpoint, with my build, the sound is full, wide, deep, focused and a bit more integrated across the frequency range. They may be a slight tad south of neutral, but not by much (if at all). The sound is somewhat relaxed but again, does not lack any detail or resolution. I can listen to them for hours and hours and hours. I am supremely happy.

At this point, I am holding off on the rest of the mods for two reasons. One, with my build, I am now pretty happy with the results and the next stages take quite a bit more effort to implement. I have to decide how best to test drive the remaining mods before committing to a big change to the cross-overs. Two, I want to experiment with a new amplifier I have just brought online before I make any other changes to the speakers. More on that to come....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4081.jpg (43.4 KB, 381 views)
Old 10th September 2013, 02:48 AM   #1609
diyAudio Member

Default a bit more about...

I only did the last XO version (Bolserst mkV?) so i would not know about the sound changes over the previous versions. I am still to finish them though, get them inside, use them with my Aleph30 (which I took apart right now to add digital controls), and then listen to them for a while to form an opinion. Eventually I am sure I will also take some measurements to get them speced out, just out of curiosity, but I am not in a rush since that feels too much like work for me.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:36 PM   #1610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
At this point, I am holding off on the rest of the mods....
The next step (stage 2 per Joe's post #1273)
The "Elsinore Project" Thread
adds the notch filter to remove the small peak at the top end of the woofer on-axis response, and will result in a rather subtle change. It will mainly be noticed by those who toe their speakers in so that they are pointed nearly directly to the listening position. This was tpate's situation. It may also help tame a slightly harsh overall sound even if you don't toe in your speakers that far, but your sidewalls are highly reflective. With pink noise playing, if you can get a helper to connect/disconnect the notch filter, it is easy to hear the frequency range it affects.

I'd say if you aren't bothered by any harshness in your setup configuration, the remainder of the stages probably would benefit you much.
Not that you can't play around...

Hide this!Advertise here!