Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2013, 12:46 AM   #1561
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by irext View Post
A colleague of mine has access to a 3D printer and if possible I would love to print a waveguide and compare.However I will have to model it first in a CAD program (SolidWorks). Learning that will be the hard part.
A 3D printer?

I hadn't thought of that. I was watching a scary TV program where they demonstrated they could make a gun that could only shoot one bullet - but could not be detected... another peaceful invention used for evil intent.

But making a Waveguide, I would like to see that.

Cheers, Joe
Old 12th June 2013, 04:46 PM   #1562
Boris40 is offline Boris40  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpate View Post
I built my own wave guides out of mdf,that I like the sound of a little better than the metal. I have a pair of Joel's aluminum wave guides I am not using, I will sell for $150 US plus shipping. I don't know how much international shipping would be. Not trying to get in your business Joel but I would like to see someone get some use out of them.
Hi.
I am new in this forum and I am contemplating a build. TPATE, Do you still have these waveguides?

Bo
Old 12th June 2013, 07:57 PM   #1563
GB123 is offline GB123  United States
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have a opinion about using Baltic birch instead of MDF. The reason I ask is that weight is a concern for me. I've used MDF in the past but my back doesn't allow me to deal with the weight any longer.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:10 AM   #1564
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB123 View Post
Does anyone have a opinion about using Baltic birch instead of MDF. The reason I ask is that weight is a concern for me. I've used MDF in the past but my back doesn't allow me to deal with the weight any longer.
I think it comes down to how thick you make the walls. I used double layer, 12mm Baltic Birch and the cabinets are still quite heavy. If I recall, each of the finished speakers is around 96lbs.

That said, you should be able to readjust the internal volumes and use 18mm Baltic birch. That should provide some weight savings.

If you are worrying about handling the raw material, I had the saw mill rough cut the pieces to a more manageable size for handling and transport, I just performed the finishing cuts. As for manipulating the cabinet as you progress, well, not much can be done there beyond enlisting the help of a buddy or a decent hand truck.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:11 AM   #1565
GB123 is offline GB123  United States
diyAudio Member

You are correct. The weight difference between BB and Mdf is only about 25lbs, for 32 sq feet. Not much of a difference really. Looks like a buddy is required for this job. Let me tell ya getting old Sucks!
Old 14th June 2013, 03:50 AM   #1566
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB123 View Post
Let me tell ya getting old Sucks!
so true....
Old 16th June 2013, 12:30 PM   #1567
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I built my own wave guides out of mdf,that I like the sound of a little better than the metal. I have a pair of Joel's aluminum wave guides I am not using, I will sell for $150 US plus shipping. I don't know how much international shipping would be. Not trying to get in your business Joel but I would like to see someone get some use out of them.
Hi.
I am new to the forum but getting increasingly interested.
Do you still have these guides?

Bo
Old 17th June 2013, 02:03 PM   #1568
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I was away from my computer for a few days. Yes I still have the wave guides, The Elsinores are very good speakers, not quite efficient enough for an 8 watt 300B amp but if you have 30 watts or more it would be hard to beat for the price. Email me your address and I will try and get a shipping price.
Old 17th June 2013, 04:33 PM   #1569
diyAudio Member

Hi.
I live in Sollentuna, Sweden. Yes, It would interesting to seenthe shipping cost.
Thx,
Bo
Old 17th June 2013, 11:35 PM   #1570
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
not quite efficient enough for an 8 watt 300B amp but if you have 30 watts or more...
I would agree with that. I had a 6 Watt amplifier and it was surprising the volume level it could achieve, but then if you advanced the volume control just a bit further... yes, I need a little more headroom.

But somebody listening to small scale jazz? Who knows?

Cheers, Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!