The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 154 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 09:01 AM   #1531
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you are using 90 mm stormwater pvc pipe for the port you can buy from plumbing supplies a slip sleeve which is used for joining 90 mm pipe. It slips over the pipe and is a very snug fit which would make adjusting port length quite easy. You would only need to remove the lower driver to gain access and once a length is decided use pvc pipe glue to fix it in place. I have to admit i,ve done no testing of my Elsinores as i very much like the way they sound straight off the bat but i will get around to doing so and port length may need a tweek.
Old 17th March 2013, 11:12 AM   #1532
diyAudio Member

Elsinore has moved home from the Carpenter... :-)

Well aged Audio lambs wool from the late 70s come in handy (and some leftover Aqusto-Q, the hoppest speaker damping material at that time).

Filling the rear part with the wool, very airy/fluffy. I might stuff the "rear compartment" from the top and 75% down with the "fluffy-wool" to start with, for beginning the measuring.

Having fun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1282.jpg (782.9 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1279.jpg (567.8 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1278.jpg (434.9 KB, 420 views)
Old 17th March 2013, 11:15 AM   #1533
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irext View Post
If you are using 90 mm .......
Doesn´t exist in Swe. only 75 and 110 mm found so far....
Old 17th March 2013, 01:41 PM   #1534
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkythefrog View Post
Doesn´t exist in Swe. only 75 and 110 mm found so far....
ID 96mm cardboard tube is the closest now.... For rolling up wall-to-wall-carpets originally. If i am bnot finding anything else i will start with 120mm length, just to figure out how it reacts with the bigger dia.
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:09 PM   #1535
weskoki is offline weskoki  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi i'm gathering the parts for the JR-Mini but i would like to build curved sides box.
Can i mount the peerless the other way?? Like this-
http://www.diyaudio.rs/topic/4001-ma...-kutije/page-2

Thanks

Last edited by weskoki; 22nd March 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 24th March 2013, 04:19 PM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
Hamlet Upgrade is good news!

WaveGuide for tweeter.. No felt like drawing shows now..
I hear that Hamlet makes a great stereo pair..

I supplied the waveguides already and will pay for tweeters as well as promised..

I can wait for all crossover values and box all parts in one and send together if OTHERS WANT TO SHARE COST for all other parts and shared ship cost..

jdkjake has shown interest.. ANYONE ELSE?

Shipping time is 3 months ground or 1 week express but much higher cost..
I've been out of the loop for some time, but Joel had told me Joe Ras was working on the Hamlets. While I'd love a pair of Elsinores, I don't have the room for them in my modest house and getting my wife to agree to a pair of Zen OBs was hard enough... But I do have room for the Hamlets in my mancave area of the basement.

I have a quad of the drivers and Joel's round waveguides. Are the cabinet dimensions above firm? I know Joe is working on the crossovers, but if the cabinet dimensions are set, then I'll have my carpenter build the boxes and get them veneered or wrapped in leather while I wait for the CO to be finalized.

Also, since I'm saving costs on the cabinets and the reduced driver count, would the more expensive tweeter be a worthwhile upgrade or is the improved performance just not worth the nearly doubled cost? I would be listening to them near field most of the time too, if that will influence the decision. The amp will be a Musical Machine and Yamaha CR620 receiver; with the MM being my main amp.

T.I.A.
Old 28th March 2013, 04:14 PM   #1537
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
There are programs (WinISD comes to mind) that allows you to play around with various diameters and lengths and shows the different velocity in Mach

Maybe we can get a consensus that in most cases we do need to make the vent/port 20mm longer?
Cheers, Joe
Playing along with the WinISD Beta 0.44 ended up with a "simulated" box volume of 101 litres for the 90x105mm vent and 33Hz. For us in Sweden (and maybe otherwise) we can instead choose 2 pcs of 68x145mm drain pipes instead, to start measuring from. Which also creates a good 0,12 mach. So it will be. a month search for a deasant pipe is over.

Happy Easter
Old 1st April 2013, 08:30 AM   #1538
diyAudio Member

any more hamlet updates?
Old 6th April 2013, 02:26 AM   #1539
diyAudio Member

I have been experimenting with the port lengths .( No measurements, just using my ears)

What would be the expected outcome of reducing the port length below the standard 80mm length?

My ears may be playing tricks on me but im am hearing a perceived improvement with the tube removed altogether !
Still great bass and very clean highs.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:16 AM   #1540
diyAudio Member

Default EU-version almost ready to be measured

bild.JPGAlmost ready to start measuring the "EU-version" with 2x 75mm (ID68) plumbing pipes. Wool in the back compartment, glass wool on the front compartment walls and on all of the stiffening panel (reflections should not be an issue here). 160mm will be the start, as the pre-calculation said 145mm. The pipe holes was deliberately drilled sliightly to big and adjusted with a few layers of print paper strips around the hole to get it perfectly match, round and smooth. Glued with wallpaper glue. That would make it easier to change and adjust the pipes in and out. Just some small ideas.

Last edited by Sharkythefrog; 6th April 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!