The "Elsinore Project" Thread

need some insights:

- in Joe's drawing, the port is specified 90mm diameter with 100mm length. if i use below port with 95mm diameter, what is the length required? can i just extrapolate into (90/95)×100 ~ 95mm?

attachment.php

- for bottom port placement, what is the minimum space distance required between the base and port mouth?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-05-05-20-09-30.jpg
    Capture+_2020-05-05-20-09-30.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 736
  • Screen-Shot-2016-11-22-at-17.55.40.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2016-11-22-at-17.55.40.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 715
Selling Elsinores to build new ones

Just retired and finished a Rauna Leira mod and renovation. Now the number of speaker pairs exceed 10 so I need to get rid of some of them before starting the next project (possibly another pair of Elsinores).

SELLING (if it ok in this thread) my own built Elsinores MK5. Really good filter components (look in previous posts where I specified them) including the Bolserst mod. With the waveguide. The cabinets are professionally build in a local wood work shop. There are also floor cabinets that elevate the speakers 15cm/6inch. The cabinet can be used empty or as now containing a DIY mono amp (not for sale). You all know the cost for materials, and add on the professional wood work. If you have an interest in owning a pair of these fantastic speakers and somewhat lack time or confidence this is an opportunity.

Best regards

Attachments

• A4CF9B95-AB8E-4B4C-AECE-E74FC2238E9B.jpeg
    A4CF9B95-AB8E-4B4C-AECE-E74FC2238E9B.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Fb - AC meter.. Voltage or Resistance ?

Make sure you have no crossover attached. Just drive the four driver together by connecting jumper. Use a 1.5V battery and make sure they all move out together (or in together, depending on which way the battery is turned around). That makes sure they are all in the same phase. Now apply the signal. Using the series resistor, it is most common to have the AC meter across the speaker terminals. Below 100 Hertz you should have two peaks and a saddle in between. The higher peak may be around 70 Hertz and the lower peaks in the 20s of Hertz. The saddle, where the meter reads lowest, will be the Fb of the box and around 33-35 hertz.

Cheers, Joe

Bringing up this post with the image attached...
Silly question...
The AC Meter.. Are we dialing the meter to measuring resistance or voltage ?

Using resistance, both of my meters fluctuate so much, I cant get an accurate reading. (If this is in fact what Im supposed to be plotting, Guess I need a new meter or have to dig my old 30+ year old analogue one out of deep storage...

Using the Voltage function, I cant believe my eyes, but it looks as though the lowest number is read at 33 HZ ! I must be doing something wrong, its unlike me to nail anything on the head at first wack, never mind Fb!!!

Attachments

• Resonansmätning.jpg
    Resonansmätning.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
My Crossover and Fb amp volume question

Here is my lay out ��

Still can't believe my Fb is 32-33 hz..

How loud should an amp be during this test?
I read somewhere (after testing) there is a target voltage (measured before the resistor) we should aim for.

Before reading that, I ran the test again with a slightly higher volume setting, and pretty much got the same result but after the saddle the curve rose quicker.. wondering if it's a Yaqin tube amp thing...

Need to build the arta test box so I can see a pretty graph

Oh, dang it... One more question. How often is the Fb of one speaker different than it's partner? Haven't had time to measure the right one yet hoping it's the same, can't imagine it would be much different but know I have to measure to know for sure...

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right forum, but it's 100% Elsinore related...

Had a life long friend stop by, might as well be my brother, my only child's God Father kind of tie... He also happens to be one of the only guys I know who gets fidelity, I mean truly gets what I believe most of us here understand...

He brought a collection of music over to get the full range of what I have been gushing about for the last 4 weeks with... Impressed is the under statement of the year. This friend, way more likable than me. The kind of friend who has a thousand more acquaintances than I will ever have. 2 weeks ago he is telling me about this "True audiophile" guy he met through his wife's friend's and spoke so highly of his absolutely amazing assemblence of music and gear... Well After putting on one of his favorite CD's (Tracy Chapman) ..

His jaw opened. His eyes bulged. He has (nor have I) ever heard those songs sound like they did through the Elsinore's. He gushes about a friend of his, who was a punk Rock singer, in a band who opened for Blondie, who now is a multi millionaire (deservedly so), had a speaker system that cost 40k, that didn't sound this damn good! Speechless is what he was, that music he has heard for 30 year's sounded nothing like he has heard before...
So, I say, this is my experience EVERY time I listen to this system! Out loud, at the top of my lungs, Thank you all, especially Joe!

Now, a point of contention. These dang speaker's have revealed my systems weak links!!!!

At 50% or above, my Amp sweats profusely lol. Some songs can safely go to 75% but others, depending on base, can't get near 50%

Dang nabnit, time to start the amp upgrade process lol.
And now, I need to shop a MUCH better cartridge for my phono..

And, gonna have to try to convince the wife we need "pretty" and "decorative" room treatments..

While these are 1000 times better than I could have ever imagined, I still struggle for that rich warmth I miss.. May be Mod stage 1 is what I am missing, but for certain.. these speakers are simply spectacular!!!!

I just measured the other speaker for port tuning and the SPL shows quite different response. Why would I have so pronounced two dips at one speaker and not the other?

I am not quite sure what you're trying to achieve with the woofer SPL measurements.

To check the tuning of the bass reflex ports, I'd suggest to measure the electrical impedance curves.

thanks for reply. No not same physical location. Only trying to tune port with microphone 1 inch from cone, because my multimeter sucks :D. Will try impedance measurement with sound card and resistor...

You could also measure the cone excursion of the woofer(s) directly. This will result in the most accurate measurement of the bass reflex tuning frequency. It's not difficult to do, see here: Open Source Monkey Box