The "Elsinore Project" Thread

AFM, have you gotten any advice on having them that close to the wall? Are they meant to be like that or was it necessity? My speakers, by necessity, sit in a similar position. I was contemplating building some Statements (Holtz & Campbell), and Jim recommended that if I had any hope of hearing them as intended, I should put them on casters and roll them out a few feet when SWMBO left the premises. I feel like I’m a reasonably courageous person, but that struck me as something for Medal of Honor recipients.

I feel like I’m a reasonably courageous person, but that struck me as something for Medal of Honor recipients.

OMg.. making me literally lololol..... I now know that I am not a leper.. lol and rothf.. but quietly ! Nub of a man! Guess many fight the good flight, regardless of our scruffy, Burley outwardly appearance, know when and what is worth turmoil.. when my music is the issue i can dr jeckal or mr hide... It was my first love, truest love, and more than likely my last love.. typed without voice recognition for obvious reasons haha..

I was hoping you’d like that. I finally decided to build Curt Campbell’s Halcyon speakers instead, partly because of the placement issue. He designed them to sit very close to the front wall, which is a good thing because they are not far from 2 feet deep. Here is my very slowly-progressing build on them:

Curt Campbell's Halcyon build thread

When I finish them, I’m thinking the next mountain to climb will be your Elsinores, with the able cabinetry skills of Mr. Berner to make it even remotely possible. I forget, did you source the BOM on your own or did you get Joe to send you a big heavy kit halfway across the world?

I forget, did you source the BOM on your own or did you get Joe to send you a big heavy kit halfway across the world?

Had the wave guide sent from Joe, and all else ordered from who ever had the most in stock. Now that the cross overs are done, i'm way more familiar with each part, but ordering all the parts cold turkey was an endeavor. No one vendor carried everything and i probably had 5 tabs and shopping cards filling up at once. For me, it was a bit of juggling that I enjoyed very little... Thankfully all shipped complete and correct, so if there is a next time i should be more comfortable.

Trying to post a picture of the completed cross overs, but nothing i tried yet will properly rotate the picture for this forum..

slightly OT but Elsinore related

Continuously getting used to the Elsinores, and what they are capable of. I believe I am soon in the market for one of Joe's upgraded versions of my amp!

Brings up a question with Tube amps in general.

The amp I have has 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker terminals. For the Elsinore, what's the ideal terminals?

The off topic part, is the amp able to supply more current to the 8 ohm terminals figuring it needs to drive a higher impedance driver ?
Do I have that backwards as an 8 ohm load might allow less amperage than a 4 ohm load (given the voltage is constant) ?

Can't figure out what came first, chicken or egg!
Glenn

Last edited:
The amp I have has 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker terminals. For the Elsinore, what's the ideal terminals?

Dave is right, whichever sounds better, but being a flat 6 Ohm impedance means it handily qualifies as nominally 8 Ohm.

There is heaps of speakers that are rated 8 Ohm that in my mind are not. If it drops below 5.6 Ohm at one frequency or other, the old convention used to apply. Not these days it seems.

(0.7 x 8 = 5.6)

That's my gripe for the day. :D

Construction has made significant progress since January. The speakers have been playing for a short time. Now they are at the varnish's shop. The whole front will be black. The rest covered with plywood. The crossover will be installed on the back of the housing.

I hope that in the coming month I will be able to enjoy their sound forever.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 372
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 383
Tweeter volume

So I build elsinores, currently for testing I only have one connected to see if everything is working. Since I am fairly new to all HIFI world, I have a question regarding volume of tweeter during music playback if I only connect tweeter I can hardly hear any sound coming out of tweeter.

Is there any simple way I can check tweeter is working correctly?

thanks

Hi Guys

Thanks for asking.

I think we are doing much better than most of the world, but I still think we have some time to go yet. I am a keen student of history and it tells us that we may get over a peak, but not everywhere, and it takes at least a full cycle of a year to figure out a novel virus like this. That will answer the question of whether we have additional waves or not, and if so, with what intensity?

I have a mentally ill son (schizophrenia) and hope in about a month to get him into hospital - but so many things have to line up, it is such a labyrinth, but looks like we will get there now.

Ahah, Hamlets! Good news, the drivers will be the MFC version and got some in, cleaned up the boxes and they now have a new coat of Durex texture paint. We are getting close now.

Some of you may know that we have been working on a new principles amplifier. This a new design from the ground on and breaks a lot of new ground. Using the 'new' word often gets out the trolls, but when the output tubes runs near Unity Gain and are not Cathode Followers, that you need a gain of 500 plus from the front-end and -24dB loss of gain to the speaker, those numbers indicate something radical going on. The new front-end circuit was modeled by the head of Power Electronics (behind SpaceX Exploration) in California. It took us from October 2016 to January 2020 to complete development. The late Allen Wright left a design behind, one that we did not copy, as it was completely impractical for us - but he showed us the way through that design that "Beyond Triode" operation was possible with Pentodes - this now means we can get better results from Pentodes than pure Triodes, in fact, we can go "Beyond Triode" and that is what we decided to call it. We were able in the end to push the concept way past what Allen did - that took a long time.

I have also had an approach from a company about the development of a 3-Way "Active Speaker" system that uses all current drive. This has not been done before because current drive lends it itself to drive midrange and tweeters and there are already designs out there doing this. But none of them are doing it on the bass because it has been put into the too-hard basket - in fact it is considered impossible to do. But we know there is a way to do it, and it proves that you can turn a Butterworth alignment into a more damped Bessel alignment by going from voltage drive to current drive. Yep, more damped alignment from a current source. The trolls will tell you that is impossible, but in fact it has been done by controlling the current vs frequency, you can dial-in more damping if you wish.

I am also working on a paper that I think will take a few more months to finish. This is a fresh look at the interface between the dynamic driver (voice coil, magnets and cones or domes etc) and that of the amplifier, it points out that ALL amplifiers are in fact current delivery systems, whether they be Class A or Class AB, Class D, solid state or tube amplifier, that they are all just different types of current delivery systems and that the output (the sound pressure level) of a loudspeaker driver is only in proportion to current and not the voltage. It will not be entering into any war of "voltage drive versus current drive" that seems to be emerging. They both have plusses and minuses. But to get the lowest possible distortion out of our designs, we need to know what the current does - and what it does will sometimes really surprise you and question opinions you previously had. But that also points to resistance, as that is the nature of these things. I will have some really heavy-weight support including several physicists, several renowned speaker designers as well as support by amplifier designers - and we are also working (now actually completed) a design of our own.

I will have somebody in the USA be able to supply amplifiers based on a rebuilt amplifier from China. I will also have somebody in Malaysia doing it for our Asian friends, another in New Zealand and myself here in Australia. Looking for somebody in Europe to also help out and have a couple of guys there that I hope will work out. We shall see.

This amp matches what the Elsinores and Hamlets do, where the emphasis is entirely on current and not voltage - but this is not current drive and yet it has advantages of both current and voltage drive.

So if you have Elsinores or Hamlets, this is the amplifier for you.

So as you can see, beyond looking after family etc, I am quite able to keep myself busy.

Cheers, Joe

Attachments

• BASIC-SCHEMA.gif
    BASIC-SCHEMA.gif
    72 KB · Views: 226
Last edited: