The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 148 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 08:12 AM   #1471
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

I guess this helps explain why the imaging of the Elsinores is so precise. I can locate every instrument easily. I still continue to be impressed 16 months after completing them. Thanks Joe.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:10 AM   #1472
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldies View Post
I just decided to build Elsinore. I'm from Asia. is there anywhere I can purchase 830875 and tweets in Asian? what about Europe? in Germany?
any help is much appreciated
Old 5th February 2013, 05:45 PM   #1473
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
You got it bad. LOL

Now I will get off my soap box.

Back to work.

Cheers, Joe
Sorry about hindering You from getting to work :-)

I knew it wasnīt a coinsident but I just couldnīt find it in the htread or on your web site. I should have known better to ever think of something in this project not thought about or based on some theory and measurment. Never again - promise!

Out project are slowly taking itīs format.

We are about to build the cabinets with recessed mid/woofers wich makes the cabinet volume smaller. But to reinforce the baffel/front panel even more we will use 25 mm material instead of the 18mm. That will increase the volume (elements moving forward), but to reinforce the baffel/front panel even even more we will use a 2mm damp mat at the back of it. Back to "normal" exactly. Will produce new drawings.for someone interested to use.

Will also not use terminals for the cables out through the back panel as it weakens it (and is a unnecessary cost & contact point). Will go straght out with the four twinned (Look here - amazing result Svalander Audio AB - Flätarskola för ljudintresserade ) cables into an outide "Crossover box", filters according to the latest drawing, bottom plate with feet, epoxy WG etc.....

Once again - tnx Joe, Joel ..... for everything!
Old 5th February 2013, 06:48 PM   #1474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But to reinforce the baffel/front panel even more
Anyone seen Maple core plywood?
Old 5th February 2013, 07:54 PM   #1475
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
Anyone seen Maple core plywood?
Have used both plywood and solid wood earlier in different thickness (currently 60mm solid oak in Accutone set up) but i think we will go for 25mm MDF or a glued mix of 12mm MDF + 12mm Chip board (is that the right word?) - to get some mixed resonance. Wood in whole pieces are alive in my opinion..... but beautiful :-)

Last edited by Sharkythefrog; 5th February 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 03:59 AM   #1476
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
I just decided to build Elsinore. I'm from Asia. is there anywhere I can purchase 830875 and tweets in Asian? what about Europe? in Germany?
I can ship them to you. I guess shipping would be fairly expensive, but I could get the woofers at a discounted price...
Old 6th February 2013, 04:21 PM   #1477
diyAudio Member

Quote:
any help is much appreciated
We could ship them to you from anywhere in the EU but the shipping will be expensive. You will get them most shep in any US state without/with low VAT if you canīt find them in Asia (which sounds strange). Europe Audio would be a good place to look. We will probably order from them for at least 4 pairs of speakers in a short while. They give us (at least - working on more) 10% discount on the shopping cart prices for this level of order. I guess you could also look for using a company VAT number in Asia to get it from EU without VAT.
Go ahead - Just do it!
Old 6th February 2013, 09:02 PM   #1478
diyAudio Member

Working on the mold for the WG make me run into things. One about the gap some of the posts prefer. If, I say if, we design the WG in such a way that IF (but only then) the TW is mounted with a distance gasket (blue in picture - only shown as a square, but are going all around the beam directly towards the TW) there will be an opening gap (by the orange arrow) into a small "cabinet" (where the orange C is). This will make it possible to either fill the gap with another gasket OR donīt. If one donīt we have the possibility to play with the little "cabinet" and different fill within it (we are talking small). Anyone with similar experience?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WG+TW+Gasket.jpg (10.4 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Sharkythefrog; 6th February 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:57 PM   #1479
diyAudio Member

Default crossover question

might be somewhat off the current track, but i'm acquiring all the parts for this to start in a couple months. quick question: what exactly does L4 R2 C3 do? is it to quell a resonance at about 60hz? i'm trying wrap my head around that huge coil

thanks,
Scott
Old 8th February 2013, 02:26 AM   #1480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkythefrog View Post
Working on the mold for the WG make me run into things. One about the gap some of the posts prefer. If, I say if, we design the WG in such a way that IF (but only then) the TW is mounted with a distance gasket (blue in picture - only shown as a square, but are going all around the beam directly towards the TW) there will be an opening gap (by the orange arrow) into a small "cabinet" (where the orange C is). This will make it possible to either fill the gap with another gasket OR donīt. If one donīt we have the possibility to play with the little "cabinet" and different fill within it (we are talking small). Anyone with similar experience?
Cant say I follow completely but maybe your saying start with a mounting gap and then one can move it in to touch and out as if prefered..

Hide this!Advertise here!