The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 142 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 01:44 AM   #1411
diyAudio Member

One Hundred sent
Old 7th January 2013, 02:08 AM   #1412
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Another $50 (USD) on it's way.

Also, I vote for the 4 ohm version of the hamlets. That said, I am flexible to the group consensus.
Old 7th January 2013, 03:22 AM   #1413
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Another $50 (USD) on it's way.

Also, I vote for the 4 ohm version of the hamlets. That said, I am flexible to the group consensus.
Than you all - just checked and we are closing in on $200 - so you guys have given me a good kick in the pants.

After PayPal fees etc, I have AUD $182 - just got of the phone with WES here in Sydney and they're sending a pair, total including delivery AUD $201.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 8th January 2013, 10:27 PM   #1414
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
.... we are closing in on $200 - so you guys have given me a good kick ...

Cheers, Joe R.
Hi Joe,

After thinking about this, here is a thought.

Please consider designing/modeling it with the "height" of the center channel as small as possible so that it could fit as support/base under the TV. I.e. make the width ( heigth if laid on the side) less than the width of the Elsinores.

Ideally a center channel would serve as base for the panel TV to be supported by, on top of a conventional "media center". So, I think an enclosure for Hamlet would be around 160 mm heigh, 350 mm deep and as wide as nessary.

MHO, what do others think?
Old 8th January 2013, 10:33 PM   #1415
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Francois, the boxes have already been made and shown in Post #1402. It's a chunky box because it has the same width (when looked at upright) and depth, only the height is smaller than Elsinores. So it based very much on the Elsinores, even dimension wise.

Just received a delivery, small box. Suspect there are a pair of Tweeters inside.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:17 PM   #1416
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
... It's a chunky box because it has the same width ..
Just received a delivery, small box. Suspect there are a pair of Tweeters inside.

Cheers, Joe R.
Hi Joe, Yes that is the easy way but,

Sorry, I'm asking to do it the right way rather than the easy way.

Francois.
Old 9th January 2013, 03:47 AM   #1417
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
Ideally a center channel would serve as base for the panel TV to be supported by, on top of a conventional "media center". So, I think an enclosure for Hamlet would be around 160 mm heigh, 350 mm deep and as wide as nessary.

MHO, what do others think?
I disagree. A center channel generally needs to be free to be directed optimally at the listening position. This cannot be done when the center channel is used as support/base for a panel TV. Depending upon the distance and height of the center channel with respect to the user, there is considerable possible placement and angle variations that need to be performed to obtain the best performance.

Personally, I would never rest anything on top of any speaker. My flat panel is mounted on a articulating arm attached to the wall and "floats" above my amps/sources. My center channel rests on top of a device called a center channel director that allows the angle of the front bezel to be set appropriately directed to the listening position.

I think the hamlet box design is fine as it is and presents maximum flexibility in terms of use as a stereo pair as well as LCR and rear-channel duties. It does not exist as a purely single purpose design, i.e. a center channel.
Old 9th January 2013, 04:01 AM   #1418
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
Hi Joe, Yes that is the easy way but,

Sorry, I'm asking to do it the right way rather than the easy way.
Perhaps what you consider the right way is limited by your personal perspective and intended use for the design.

I contend your perspective of right does not necessarily reflect my perspective of right.

Nothing says you cannot build the box to address your intended application. As long as the internal dimensions are held constant, I see no reason why it would not perform similarly considering how you plan to use it. The front bezel and side baffle performance will most likely be overwhelmed by reflections coming off the flat piece of glass sitting on top of it. With no way of correcting placement angle and focusing directivity to the listener, performance will always be compromised anyway.

Just a thought.
Old 9th January 2013, 06:52 AM   #1419
Banned

is there any online store where I can get the parts needed for Elsinore? woofers and tweets and waveguide? XOver?
Old 10th January 2013, 03:10 AM   #1420
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esl-fan View Post
is there any online store where I can get the parts needed for Elsinore? woofers and tweets and waveguide? XOver?
I can help with parts code if your ordering from solen canada for all parts except waveguides.. I make, or should say, get made the waveguides..

Hide this!Advertise here!