The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 139 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 05:48 PM   #1381
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
CNC Envy here.. If you were a little closer Pete, I'd see about getting some future ideas machined..

Great job on all recent builds..

Elsinore works great at 10'(havent experimented with closer) apart to centers and around 42" out but inch back and fourth to find bass balance without boom or cancellation..
Thanks for the input for speakers placement. How far is your seat from the speakers?

For the CNC, I did what I could with the cutting tools we had since they are very expensive, especially diamond cutters. We don't have angle cutting tools so I used a skill saw to do the chamfers on the front. Once the programs are done and tested, all panels can easily be done for ten pairs of Elsinore per day.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:15 PM   #1382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Looking great ermat1234!

What are you going to use to drive them?
Thanks JD.

I,m currently trying my old amp which is an intergrated 200w Plinius 9200.

Its a bit too early to say, but from memory, having heard Joes speakers through Joes valve amp mabe i think Joes amp has it over mine for what i refer to as "Fluid / smooth" valve amp sound where as the 200w amp realy does make these babies stand to attention, which is not a bad thing either.

Maybe i need both amps, i'm never satisfied!
Old 31st December 2012, 01:00 AM   #1383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefrontiers View Post
Thanks for the input for speakers placement. How far is your seat from the speakers?

For the CNC, I did what I could with the cutting tools we had since they are very expensive, especially diamond cutters. We don't have angle cutting tools so I used a skill saw to do the chamfers on the front. Once the programs are done and tested, all panels can easily be done for ten pairs of Elsinore per day.
I actually have 2 near fields and a far field.. The room is 17x20 feet and heavily treated so well controlled.. The furthest is at the back 17foot wall with couch and speakers pointed straight at this position.. I sit with friends here and I'm not as engrossed and looking into the soundsatge as much but some prefer this position.. There is also 8 2x6 traps pressed right at the back wall.. I alone normally sit a about 7.5 feet and this is were everything seems right but at 6 feet I can look right through into the highly focussed and detailed soundstage but maybe a little to thin and cool on some recordings..

I keep saying that I think there is still possible better setup to get the best of both near field signatures but with Elsinore I just end up listening to music and cant be bothered..

I've now taken my setup to the highest level I've experienced with Triode Lab tube amps. Planning to run several models throughout the house..

Music Rules, Joel
Old 31st December 2012, 10:38 PM   #1384
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
The "JR Minis" - also useful as centre channel - in which case build three and (hint to anybody interested) and use Elsinore as main Left & Right. In that case no real need for a sub. Anyway, that's the idea presented here.

Also quite nice as a small stereo pair.

First the box:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

How you make the box is up to you.

<snip>

Joe R.
Joe,

Planning to build a pair of JR Minis and wanted to be sure - are the drawing dimensions exterior?

Thanks,
Francois
Old 1st January 2013, 12:42 AM   #1385
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermat1234 View Post
Thanks JD.

I,m currently trying my old amp which is an intergrated 200w Plinius 9200....

Maybe i need both amps, i'm never satisfied!
The whole thing about power rating of loudspeakers is a numbers game all of its own (a racket?), so I would never give a power rating other than they can be driven surprisingly loud with a relatively small amp and also that they can handle LOTS of power. So 200 Watt, no problem whatsoever.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 1st January 2013, 01:32 AM   #1386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I actually have 2 near fields and a far field.. The room is 17x20 feet and heavily treated so well controlled.. The furthest is at the back 17foot wall with couch and speakers pointed straight at this position.. I sit with friends here and I'm not as engrossed and looking into the soundsatge as much but some prefer this position.. There is also 8 2x6 traps pressed right at the back wall.. I alone normally sit a about 7.5 feet and this is were everything seems right but at 6 feet I can look right through into the highly focussed and detailed soundstage but maybe a little to thin and cool on some recordings..

I keep saying that I think there is still possible better setup to get the best of both near field signatures but with Elsinore I just end up listening to music and cant be bothered..

I've now taken my setup to the highest level I've experienced with Triode Lab tube amps. Planning to run several models throughout the house..

Music Rules, Joel
Your description has been very instructive for me, Joel. My couch is at 6 feet from the front of speakers and, even if my room is deeper, I can't move it further away because it is blocked by an half wall. At 9 feet apart, the singer was centered but the rest of orchestra sounded a bit weird to my ears, like if they were standing too far from each other, and yes, the sound was a bit lean and cold. I found my nirvana at 8 feet apart and front of speakers at around 40 inches from the wall. I still have to experiment a bit with toe-in and distance from the wall, but I'm very satisfied of what I hear right now.

A friend came in today to listen to them and he was blown away. My old speakers were good (diy with Vifa and Seas drivers) but Elsinore are just in another league.
Old 1st January 2013, 02:37 AM   #1387
diyAudio Member

Francois,The drawing for Mini is exterior

Pete, Glad I could help a little with the setup

I was using high power SS for a time and they have excellent
crankability

Happy New Year!
Old 1st January 2013, 05:46 AM   #1388
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hmm... somebody said my Avatar looks like Orson Welles?
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:49 PM   #1389
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.

May be. Without glasses and mustache?

But Orson was no electronics genius.

Francois
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:11 PM   #1390
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Francois,The drawing for Mini is exterior:

Happy New Year!
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your help on the Mini JR Question.

Another question, in your opinion, please.

Should I build the pair of minis used for accombined channel, or a dedicated center channel speaker with 6.25 nomex drivers-I bought two extras.

Those Elsinore aluminum wave guides you sent are sounding wonderfiul. Thanks so much!

Francois

Hide this!Advertise here!