The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 137 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2012, 02:20 AM   #1361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermat1234 View Post
Any thoughts on what i'm about to do regards damping would be appreciated.

I have got a product called "Rams Acoustic Insulation" which is a blend of 65% wool 35% polyester. 90mm thick. R2.0

Not exactly Joes spec of R3.0 75mm but not far off.

Do you think i should put it in as is, or peel a bit of to bring it back to 75mm?
It is constructed in layers and it would be easy to peel off 15mm to bring it back to 75mm . Trouble is that would reduce the R rating even more.

Cheers
I think it should be fine as is but it's one of those things that if you try different amounts and listen to each over a long period you will find the amount that sounds right.. It takes a lot of time..

I'm likely understuffed with the fiber fill but not to concerned but
I wish I could get Rams available here.. I'm going to try Bonded Logic recycled bluejeans..

I take it your closer to hearing this great design..

Joel
Old 18th December 2012, 03:25 AM   #1362
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
I have got a product called "Rams Acoustic Insulation" which is a blend of 65% wool 35% polyester. 90mm thick. R2.0

Not exactly Joes spec of R3.0 75mm but not far off.
I think you emailed me and I got sidetracked, sorry.

I don't there should be a problem. As long as the rear behind the main brace is not totally stuffed up and full. Nice combination of wool and polyester, so go for it.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 18th December 2012, 05:33 AM   #1363
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I have become a bit obsessive with the building of these speakers so attempting to get everything perfect.
Like someone else said earler in the thread, I'm so close to finishing these i can almost taste it.
Unfortunately work is interupting my progress lately but not far off finishing, thats provided i dont **** up the paint job.
Old 18th December 2012, 07:56 AM   #1364
diyAudio Member

" I'm going to try Bonded Logic recycled bluejeans.."

This didn't make much sense until I googled it .

You never know, it could be the winning formula!
Old 18th December 2012, 09:46 AM   #1365
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Doesn,t look like Bonded Logic products are available in Aus however. It,s a pity Polymax isn,t distributed in Victoria. Then there would be no guesswork. I found it to be the most difficult thing to procure in the whole build. I guess there will allways be some experimentation after the initial build. I made quite some improvements with substituting/upgrading crossover components and modifying the physical layout. Many thanks to advice from others on this thread.
Old 18th December 2012, 01:10 PM   #1366
diyAudio Member

I have a source Applegate Cotton Armour
I'll check it out..
Old 28th December 2012, 08:07 PM   #1367
diyAudio Member

Finished and sounding good.

(apart from having to rotate the tweeters 45 degrees at a later date due to 2 tweeter stiffening panel screws being exactly in the wrong place !)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished 001.jpg (686.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg new paint 001.jpg (434.3 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by ermat1234; 28th December 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: extra photo
Old 29th December 2012, 05:40 AM   #1368
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Finished and sounding good.

(apart from having to rotate the tweeters 45 degrees at a later date due to 2 tweeter stiffening panel screws being exactly in the wrong place !)
Great to see another pair of Elsinores up and running. And in my neck of the woods. The best part is listening to your whole music collection again but really hearing it for the first time!
Old 29th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #1369
diyAudio Member

I finished mine 2 days ago. I like them a lot. First thing I noticed is how they sound right. Instruments sound like they should, even trumpet, which is not easy and gives hard time to lot of speakers. Vocals are superb. They are detailed without being too bright, very easy to listen and no harshness. Soundstage is wide and deep even if I still have to play with positioning of speakers to get the best they can. I donít regret the time and money invested in these. Construction details will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (295.2 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Speaker 1.jpg (266.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg speaker 2.jpg (307.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Back Front.jpg (162.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 29th December 2012, 03:13 PM   #1370
diyAudio Member

Default Construction details

I will make some jealous hereÖ I used the woodworking center that we have where I work to machine all the panels. Iím the one who do the programs on this machine so it was easy.
The finish of internal side of solid wood panels where a bit rough and uneven for gluing so a machined a 3 mm deep grooves for all internal panels. This added a bit of strength to the assembly also and created an assembly gig as well.
Since I choose to use laminated solid wood for external panels, internal panels are done with Baltic Birch plywood to have a stable assembly under humidity variations that we have here in Canada between winter and summer. If the wood is going to extend a bit, it will do it across the grain so all panels external panel will move in the same direction. Solid wood panels had 3 coats of varnish inside and 4 coats outside to seal them as much as I could. Finally, laminated wood are less sensitive to humidity variations so I donít expect to have issues with this in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biesse.jpg (230.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Internal parts.jpg (209.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Side panel.jpg (317.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Pre assembly.jpg (245.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Glued.jpg (310.1 KB, 95 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!