The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 136 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 10:21 AM   #1351
JVDM is offline JVDM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Evening all,

I'm looking into a build of the Elsinore's.
Anyone know where I can get the waveguide from? I emailed the guy mentioned on CustomAnalogue, but haven't heard back yet. Is there someone else who makes them?

Cheers,
Joel.
Old 20th November 2012, 01:19 PM   #1352
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVDM View Post
Evening all,

I'm looking into a build of the Elsinore's.
Anyone know where I can get the waveguide from? I emailed the guy mentioned on CustomAnalogue, but haven't heard back yet. Is there someone else who makes them?

Cheers,
Joel.
Sorry, I didn't get that email.. Maybe try it again
I have one pair from last batch ready to go. After they're gone I would make 10 minimum.. $160/pair

Thanks, Joel
Old 21st November 2012, 07:32 PM   #1353
diyAudio Member

JVDM you may wish to start here! #680 Read on and shop local!
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:22 PM   #1354
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermat1234 View Post
Progress update. Appreciate all your help fellow Elsinorians. For my first venture into speaker building i am happy. If i can be of any assistance to other novice builders, let me know.
Looking really nice. Brings back happy memories of my build. Where did you end up sourcing the drivers?
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:33 AM   #1355
diyAudio Member

Thanks Irext, appreciate your help. I have enjoyed the process. More so now that i can see the end in sight. I really wanted to finish in veneer but after much deliberating have decided to paint. Maybe veneer my next pair. ( if Joe lets me !)
Found all the drivers here in Ausi, mostly WES.
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:33 PM   #1356
diyAudio Member

Default chamfered edges

Another pair of Elsinore slowly coming to life here. Thanks Joe for sharing your design and Joel for your great contribution here, I would not have started this project if I had to do my own waveguide...

I have a question about the effective width of a speaker depending of baffle edge geometry. Iím using laminated hardwood for the sides, top and bottom of my Elsinore (all center pieces are done with Birch plywood) but the thickness of these panels are 33 mm instead of 25 mm and I am not very hot about weaken them by reducing the thickness to 25 mm in a wood planer.

So I would like to chamfer the edges in order to reduce the overall width of the speaker to the original dimension of 280 mm. Does a formula exists to calculate the effective width of a speaker with chamfered or rounded edges or I only have to do like the picture below? Thanks!

Chamfer 1.jpg
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:17 PM   #1357
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermat1234 View Post
Thanks Irext, appreciate your help. I have enjoyed the process. More so now that i can see the end in sight. I really wanted to finish in veneer but after much deliberating have decided to paint. Maybe veneer my next pair. ( if Joe lets me !)
Found all the drivers here in Ausi, mostly WES.
I veneered mine in Tassie Blackwood veneer having never done it before and I am quite happy with the results. I used the second cabinet as a press to adhere the veneer to the one being worked on and used ratchet straps to clamp the cabinets together while the glue dried. A router with a flush bit was used to trim the edges. There are some pics in previous posts some months ago if you are interested. Don,t be put off trying it. When I read other peoples posts on veneering I very nearly gave up as they all gave dire warnings on failure but I,m glad I stuck with it as I do love the grain and texture of a natural timber finish. At this point I haven,t heard any speakers I like better or even as much so I think you are in for a treat.
Old 24th November 2012, 03:33 AM   #1358
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefrontiers View Post
So I would like to chamfer the edges in order to reduce the overall width of the speaker to the original dimension of 280 mm. Does a formula exists to calculate the effective width of a speaker with chamfered or rounded edges or I only have to do like the picture below? Thanks!

Attachment 313513
At the angle shown in the diagram, I don't think that should be a problem.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have been reading up lately on the modern philosophy of self-interest (seems to come up as a 'positive' when the topic of economy comes up - along the lines that "greed is good" a la Milton Friedman), and I am happy to be old fashioned on that score.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:16 PM   #1359
diyAudio Member

Thanks Joe!
Old 16th December 2012, 11:22 PM   #1360
diyAudio Member

Default Damping

Any thoughts on what i'm about to do regards damping would be appreciated.

I have got a product called "Rams Acoustic Insulation" which is a blend of 65% wool 35% polyester. 90mm thick. R2.0

Not exactly Joes spec of R3.0 75mm but not far off.

Do you think i should put it in as is, or peel a bit of to bring it back to 75mm?
It is constructed in layers and it would be easy to peel off 15mm to bring it back to 75mm . Trouble is that would reduce the R rating even more.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!