The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 134 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 02:23 PM   #1331
diyAudio Member
 
prairieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanks for that Joe.
Joel, filling grain with shellac is difficult, because its so thin (you're using dewaxed, right?) unless you're French polishing, which is also difficult. I always liked a mix of boiled linseed oil and spar varnish (a homemade danish oil finish). You can proportion the mix to get the desired result: more varnish gives a harder finish, but you have to work faster; more oil, less durable, but more work time. You could start with 3:1, oil to varnish. Slap it on, let is sit a bit, keeping it wet, and then wipe it off thoroughly. Give a second coat and you should have a nice, built up, durable finish. If you wish, finish off with paste wax and the finest steel wool (or equivalent 3M pad) you can find.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 05:02 PM   #1332
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Courtice, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
Thanks for that Joe.
Joel, filling grain with shellac is difficult, because its so thin (you're using dewaxed, right?) unless you're French polishing, which is also difficult. I always liked a mix of boiled linseed oil and spar varnish (a homemade danish oil finish). You can proportion the mix to get the desired result: more varnish gives a harder finish, but you have to work faster; more oil, less durable, but more work time. You could start with 3:1, oil to varnish. Slap it on, let is sit a bit, keeping it wet, and then wipe it off thoroughly. Give a second coat and you should have a nice, built up, durable finish. If you wish, finish off with paste wax and the finest steel wool (or equivalent 3M pad) you can find.

Yes, dewaxed but dissovled in Isopropyl Alcohol which I discovered gets spit out(capilliray Action).. Hard to tell this until you way into it..When Dissolved in Denaturated Alcohol it's stays in the pours but somehow my batch had to much moisture and caused clouding..

Anyway, for now I'm going to simpler grain filling and top coat with the shellac..

I will try you idea in the future though.. Thanks

Hope you do the mini's and comment on them?

Joel
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 02:41 PM   #1333
diyAudio Member
 
Joe Rasmussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
A bit of a sad announcement, A. Neville Thiele has passed away here in Sydney. He was 91.

He is of course the Thiele as in Thiele-Small Parameters.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Thiele
__________________
The "Elsinore Project" DIY Speaker System
Custom Analogue Audio - we also support and promote non-profit DIY
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 04:57 PM   #1334
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 02:07 AM   #1335
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seminole, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
A bit of a sad announcement, A. Neville Thiele has passed away here in Sydney. He was 91.

He is of course the Thiele as in Thiele-Small Parameters.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Thiele
Sad news. That said, he certainly lead a long productive life.

Certainly his contribution to the science behind all of this cannot be underestimated.

Rest well Neville. Rest well.
__________________
-- jk --
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 02:12 AM   #1336
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seminole, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
Spent I lot of time trying to grain fill with shellac on Mini's but it's a real PITA

All mini's will now get clear epoxy fill or paste filler and then I'm comfortable doing one of these methods on the current Paduak Elsinore

Joe, is a matching MTM Mini center possible??

Thanks, Joel
Joel,

Are those Elsinores in the last two photos? Are you now employing a detachable back panel (or similar)?

I see you are using layered, overlapping panels on that build.
__________________
-- jk --
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 01:50 PM   #1337
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Courtice, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Joel,

Are those Elsinores in the last two photos? Are you now employing a detachable back panel (or similar)?

I see you are using layered, overlapping panels on that build.
Yes, a removable back panel and have same on my running pair. 2 Inductors will get mounted to the center brace.. 18mh is air and very large..

Pictures describes it best. 24mm ply with rabbet/mitre corners and rabbet for panels to sides..

Also sandwiched CNC steel plates for front baffle..
Waveguide mounting adjusted to 4mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0342.jpg (323.3 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg 4mm Waveguide Painted.jpg (331.3 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg Steel Plate.jpg (330.2 KB, 379 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 02:30 AM   #1338
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seminole, FL
Steel plates! Dude, that is so extreme... And so very cool!

What kind of weight gain does the bring to the front baffle? Gees, I bet those things are heavy. Never thought about the resonating frequency of steel, but sandwiched between BB sheets probably makes that a moot point. What do you use, if anything, between the steel and the wood? In any case, no doubt the baffle is about as stiff and ridged as they come.

The rabbet/dado is nicely executed. I bet they assembled like a dream.

What does the shallow depth waveguide bring to the party?
__________________
-- jk --
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 10:00 PM   #1339
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Courtice, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Steel plates! Dude, that is so extreme... And so very cool!

What kind of weight gain does the bring to the front baffle? Gees, I bet those things are heavy. Never thought about the resonating frequency of steel, but sandwiched between BB sheets probably makes that a moot point. What do you use, if anything, between the steel and the wood? In any case, no doubt the baffle is about as stiff and ridged as they come.

The rabbet/dado is nicely executed. I bet they assembled like a dream.

What does the shallow depth waveguide bring to the party?
Thanks, I can't seem to stop getting the most detail and focus out of them..

Guessing the weight of the steel is about 15lb
The Total weight completely assembled with the 1/2 steel bases and spikes is about 170.. base/spikes are 30lbs alone

The front baffle is 6mm ply glued to sub front. Then steel attached to that with construction adhesive and 6mm ply on top of that with adhesive..
I know have 6mm of ply before I hit the steel so I can sink the woofers and waveguide 4mm.

The diameter of cut outs in the steel is 2mm wider than the prescribed cut outs as per Joe's Diagram.. This way the router bit won't hit metal as long as Router Jig is aligned perfectly. 1mm clearance

I plan to try a set with steel applied to the front of 12mm ply. Powder coat the steel and have the woofers and waveguide not flushed.. Ie) display the steel front. Maybe try a cool front colour on this pair but a bit afraid how it might look
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:19 AM   #1340
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
irext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Looking at all this lovely woodwork makes me want to build another pair! I had so much fun building the first ones but I would pinch a lot of your ideas for the second pair. I,d take a lot more time too, since I already have a pair to listen to. Very nice work.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Proac 2.5 clone" or "Elsinore project" Joel Wesseling Multi-Way 10 26th May 2011 05:51 AM
A thread to post your "project files" critofur Multi-Way 10 21st March 2008 12:50 PM
"compact loudspeaker factory visit from "magico mini" thread Nanook Multi-Way 2 4th January 2008 07:30 AM
The "Really simple and cheap speaker designs for the newbie!" thread. Spasticteapot Multi-Way 5 19th March 2006 04:16 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2