The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 118 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2012, 04:48 AM   #1171
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Got some time today to finish up wiring the crossovers. They are mounted in the bottom shell of the enclosure. There is a top piece that will seal them up!
I have completed my Mk Vs about two weeks ago and they sound great! My crossovers take up the entire area of the bottom of my speakers and I don't hear any L interaction.

So, Jake's CO experimentation and implementation experiments were moot in my case, but very interestig at the same time. I'm looking forward to near about his results, but I expect in the real world these parts placements don't matter so much.
Old 14th May 2012, 01:52 PM   #1172
diyAudio Member

Default eerless HDS 810921 or ScanSpeak D2608/9130

Looking for informations concerning the tweeter used in the Elsinore project, I've read on Troels site that the Peerless HDS 810921 is now referenced as ScanSpeak D2608/9130.

Both reference are sold at about the same price in europe, are they any difference between this tweeters ? Same product but not build in the same factory ?
Old 15th May 2012, 01:42 PM   #1173
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
That's Beautiful.. Amazing looking layout
Thanks Joel!
Old 15th May 2012, 01:49 PM   #1174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
I have completed my Mk Vs about two weeks ago and they sound great! My crossovers take up the entire area of the bottom of my speakers and I don't hear any L interaction.

So, Jake's CO experimentation and implementation experiments were moot in my case, but very interestig at the same time. I'm looking forward to near about his results, but I expect in the real world these parts placements don't matter so much.
Perhaps that is true. But is not the point of the exercise to optimize the details to allow the whole to shine?

At this stage, all of my audio optimizations are small incremental improvements designed to minimize the introduction of potential distortion, noise and intermodulation artifacts. DIY makes it possible to choose the compromises and take improvements to a level not practical for a commercial builder.

Besides, it's fun!
Old 15th May 2012, 01:57 PM   #1175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal GUERIN View Post
Looking for informations concerning the tweeter used in the Elsinore project, I've read on Troels site that the Peerless HDS 810921 is now referenced as ScanSpeak D2608/9130.

Both reference are sold at about the same price in europe, are they any difference between this tweeters ? Same product but not build in the same factory ?
They are the same part. Might want to go back a few posts for some additional details:

The "Elsinore Project" Thread

(follow the link above)
Old 15th May 2012, 04:16 PM   #1176
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Might want to go back a few posts for some additional details
Lots of détails, thank you very much jdjake
Old 15th May 2012, 08:54 PM   #1177
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Jake,

Apologies, my "short-hand" writing did not come out quite right. It was late.

What I meant to say was that I found your experimentation very interesting, and should have added that since I had just finished my speakers I'm going to enjoy them for a while. When the DIY bug bites again I will be looking at your CO arrangements very closely.

I speculated that I would not hear much of a difference because I arranged my inductors as best as I knew how to (without the benefit of personal placement experimentation), based on various reading on the topic.

The entire bottoms of my cabinets are used for the crossovers, so the inductors are quite widely spaced. I decided to leave the CO parts uncovered - hoped it would help with cooling through the 2" opening at the back and about .75 inches elsewhere between the floor and the spikes.

Cheers,
Francois
Old 15th May 2012, 11:59 PM   #1178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Jake,

Apologies, my "short-hand" writing did not come out quite right. It was late.

What I meant to say was that I found your experimentation very interesting, and should have added that since I had just finished my speakers I'm going to enjoy them for a while. When the DIY bug bites again I will be looking at your CO arrangements very closely.

I speculated that I would not hear much of a difference because I arranged my inductors as best as I knew how to (without the benefit of personal placement experimentation), based on various reading on the topic.

The entire bottoms of my cabinets are used for the crossovers, so the inductors are quite widely spaced. I decided to leave the CO parts uncovered - hoped it would help with cooling through the 2" opening at the back and about .75 inches elsewhere between the floor and the spikes.

Cheers,
Francois
No worries my friend, certainly no apologies required!

Just chatting about and fellowship amongst fellow Elsinore builders.

I am glad you are enjoying your build. I know they were, like mine, a long time in coming. Can't wait to share opinions and further bantering about. That's what makes the endeavor so rewarding.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:48 PM   #1179
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

You are in for quite a treat JK. It was the most rewarding and enjoyable project I've ever done. Nothing better than sitting listening to such faithfull reproduction knowing that you built them. Hats off to Joe Ras.
Old 19th May 2012, 11:20 PM   #1180
diyAudio Member

Default Cable building day...

This morning, I built up the speakON interconnects used to connect the crossovers to the speakers.

The process of building these cables went well. Very straightforward as the neutriks are pretty well thought out. It is just a matter of getting used to the components and how they play together. A couple of false starts and re-dos, but, nothing out of the ordinary. I really like these connectors and can highly recommend them.

I ended up braiding the individual cables (seldom used skills developed many, many years ago on baby sister). One cable is a tighter braid than the other by about three braids. I think I like the looser braid better, but, I will probably not go back and re-do the work. They are close enough and I have waited far too long to bring these bad boys to life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4000.jpg (47.4 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4002.jpg (47.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4004.jpg (42.8 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4017.jpg (52.3 KB, 354 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!