The "Elsinore Project" Thread

help me to decide, I thought that Elsinore VI will be my ultimate speaker but lately OB steal my interest. Currently I have Alpair10p as my temporary speaker, where I am thinking to make OB with 2 eminence beta 15" on bottom with Alpair 10p on top or continue with Elsinore MK6.

anyone have compared Elsinore vs OB?

I have both types running currently, though in two very different rooms. I find it that it all depends on how the recording has been mastered. Elsinores are a safer bet with most music whereas the OBs can go both ways (usually sound exceptional for some live performances and especially for jazz like music but may be lacking for some studio music mastered/EQed while listening to some boxed up speakers). The nice thing about Elsinores for newbees is the passive crossover which is not very demanding on the amplifier. I make amps too so I had AlephP/Aleph30 running Elsinores before changing over to BA3b mono blocks (all class A amps); the latter combo just kicks *** top to bottom.

for your ref: my OBs are fully active and showed here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/123512-ultimate-open-baffle-gallery-225.html

Denmark

Been reading most of the pages in this thread and like it...

Any chance there is a MK 6 version of the speaker in Denmark I could be so lucky to hear? It is only possible to read what other thinks but it is sadly not possible to hear it ;-)

Also the waveguide are there someone selling them in Europe?

Thanks
Martin

After six mont of stand by, mostly because of no time left between my job and the ski season !
I've started working again on my Elsinore Mk 5 speakers :)

The front panel has been glued and the damping materials are in place.
The boxes were build with 19 mm MDF and I've used bitumen pads + 6 mm felt to increase density of side, top and bottom.
The boxes will be painted with two layer of white lacquer, see te two pictures (taken with my smarpthone)

Attachments

• 20170418_141001_resized.jpg
    20170418_141001_resized.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 690
  • 20170421_151150_1492793644803_resized.jpg
    20170421_151150_1492793644803_resized.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
Also the waveguide are there someone selling them in Europe?

I have created a PayPal link for AUD $190 per pair including air freight to any parts of the world and should allow credit cards too:

Waveguides AUD $190 Pair

Click on it and see what happens.

The actual link URL is "www.paypal.me/BjoernRasmussen/190" and the "190" is actually the amount in Australian Dollars. If you need to buy two pairs, change the URL and put "380" instead, or "95" per individual Waveguides, so three Waveguides would be "285" etc - so hope that helps.

And that above just gave away my legal name. :D

New_Waveguide_Front.jpg

Last edited:
Brave man going with 19mm. Bitumen pads plus felt should do the trick though. Looking nice so far. Keep the pic's coming.

Cheers.

After six mont of stand by, mostly because of no time left between my job and the ski season !
I've started working again on my Elsinore Mk 5 speakers :)

The front panel has been glued and the damping materials are in place.
The boxes were build with 19 mm MDF and I've used bitumen pads + 6 mm felt to increase density of side, top and bottom.
The boxes will be painted with two layer of white lacquer, see te two pictures (taken with my smarpthone)

Looking nice so far. Keep the pic's coming.

Cheers.

Hi Irext,

Work in progress ! Still to make the crossover and the internal cabling :)
Elsinore are very BIG speakers :up:

614293d1493640048-elsinore-project-thread-20170501_134125_resized.jpg

19mm. Bitumen pads plus felt should do the trick though.
Sure, tried in the Nomex164, speakers using the same drivers and beside de Elsinore !

Attachments

• 20170430_135501_resized.jpg
    20170430_135501_resized.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 20170501_134125_resized.jpg
    20170501_134125_resized.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:
All the hard stuff is done now and looking very nice :). I'll be very interested on how they compare to the Nomex 164,s. Happy listening.

Maybe they'll be finished next week-end ...

I've got few questions concerning the final part of the build.

1- Mounting tweeter and joels waveguide

Should I put the metal face of the tweeter directly on the waveguide or must I put somme kind of isolation beetween the two metal pieces ?

2 - Box tuning

I've tuned my Nomex 164 to 40hz, what is the recommendation, I think I've read 35 Hz on this thread

3 - Crossover design

There is two LCR traps on the bass section.
The aim of the first one (18 mH/300 mF/8 Ohms) is to dampen the peak due to box tuning, minimum impedance at 65 Hz.
What about the second one (0.18 mH/33 mF/9 ohms) which has minimum impedance at 2 Khz ?

Any advices welcome :)

@zman01: there is a lot of woodworking on the Elsinore boxes ;)

PS : RLC calculator link
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/inde...prechershop.de/tools/t_ps_schwingkreis_en.htm

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
2 - Box tuning

I've tuned my Nomex 164 to 40hz, what is the recommendation, I think I've read 35 Hz on this thread

The goal is 33hz, which, I believe sounds best. At least with my build (follow link):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97043-elsinore-project-thread-153.html#post3404476

Joe gave an excellent rationale for that frequency choice here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97043-elsinore-project-thread-153.html#post3403753

You can probably search the thread for other opinions, but I think you should aim for 33hz and see how they sound to you.

I don't mean to seem harsh, but, this is a good example of how not to place inductors - it's better to space them apart more, but particularly important when they're this closely space is to have each inductor perpendicular to the ones near it.

Here is an often replicated image illustrating the point:

attachment.php

Attachments

• inductor placement.JPG
    inductor placement.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,459