The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2012, 04:32 AM   #1121
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link. You know it was always in the back of my mind about inductor proximity with each other but I never explored it fully. I suppose I thought air cored inductors would have a much more sparse magnetic field than iron cored ones and thus talk less to each other. I am now about to pull the xovers apart and re orientate the inductors as I may well have inadvertently misaligned them (I should have known better, kicking myself now). Looks like a definite redo of the artwork. Thanks for the info.
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:10 PM   #1122
diyAudio Member

Default My Elsinore's are alive!

Fellow builders,

I brought in my Elsinore's and installed them on Saturday afternoon. Yes, 90 lbs is about right, but I had help.

Although they are of course not broken in I spent several hours listening and enjoyed what I heard very much. This is the seventh set of DIY speakers I built and they are clearly the best, by wide margin.

Thanks to Joe for sharing his design and proving guidance, and to all of you for help, support, wave guides, experience and on and on.

Francois
Old 24th April 2012, 03:49 AM   #1123
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool!

How about some pics?
Old 24th April 2012, 10:21 AM   #1124
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Elsinore Xover rejigged.

I've now rejigged the inductors in my xovers to satisfy the data given by Troels Gravesen. (as best I can given the constraints of my pcb). Many thanks to JdkJake for the link. It'll do for now but I'll definitely have to redo the artwork to satisfy myself. At first listen my impression is better performance at high listening levels which I guess would make sense as the cross coupling would surely be worse at higher levels as the induced fields between the inductors would be greater. My nice neat pcb is looking a bit messy now however. It's another good reason not to mount the xovers inside the cabinets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3140.jpg (815.6 KB, 409 views)
Old 24th April 2012, 02:07 PM   #1125
diyAudio Member

JDJAKE the speakers look awesome well done mate.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:09 AM   #1126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irext View Post
I've now rejigged the inductors in my xovers to satisfy the data given by Troels Gravesen. (as best I can given the constraints of my pcb). Many thanks to JdkJake for the link. It'll do for now but I'll definitely have to redo the artwork to satisfy myself. At first listen my impression is better performance at high listening levels which I guess would make sense as the cross coupling would surely be worse at higher levels as the induced fields between the inductors would be greater. My nice neat pcb is looking a bit messy now however. It's another good reason not to mount the xovers inside the cabinets.
Boy, that did not take long to reconfigure. Very handy and flexible board you have there to be able to make such dramatic changes so quickly.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:10 AM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonted View Post
JDJAKE the speakers look awesome well done mate.
Thanks!
Old 25th April 2012, 11:29 AM   #1128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Put together the main wiring harness that ties into the speakON connector. The speakON spades fit one side of the peerless drivers perfectly (the positive side). The negative, not so much. A bit of "modification" and rework is needed to get a good mechanical grip on the small spade negative side of the drivers (same with the tweeter lugs) using the neutrik spades. In hind sight, I should have gotten the proper spade for those lugs. But, the neutrik spades were already installed and solder into the harness and I was able to get them to work just fine. It would be nice if this was a standard across all connectors. Perhaps it is, but, I was unaware of it if it was.

In any case, installed the drivers, screwed them down tight and also installed the neutrik jack. So far, I am happy with the neutrik system. Very clean and neat.
Jake, great harnesses and nice double heatshrinking.
The zip tying of the cable was a nice touch too.

Have you thought about soldering the cable directly to the speaker terminal?
I find it gives a better connection and better sound.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:30 AM   #1129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerotohero View Post
Interested in building a pair of these to replace my B&W 603 floorstanders.

Has anyone had experience using an electronic crossover with them?
Is there any reason why an active crossover would be a bad choice over the passive?

Thanks
Any responses to this post?

Any info is appreciated.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:56 PM   #1130
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

When I was researching my build I saw some posts that indicated that someone was trying an electronic crossover with the Elsinores. He was never satisfied with the results. The crossover is such an integral part of the speakers, such as 6db per octave rolloffs, phasing etc. that I would go with the passive. The Bolserst mod uses a notch filter on the "mids" that you wouldn't be able to do with active.

I too was having trouble with interactions between the inductors and put a 10" post on the crossover board and mounted the iron core inductor on top of it. Not pretty but effective. Got the inductors away from each other and didn't increase the footprint of the crossover board.

Has anyone else tried the Bolserst crossover mods besides Joel? Would be interested in your comments.

Hide this!Advertise here!