The "Elsinore Project" Thread

The lining can be accessed through the driver openings with the drivers removed. I changed mine some months after construction as the original material I used was too dense. When replaced with a lighter material I found the bass response was improved.

Cheers.

Thanks Pieter T for clarifying.

Going through some of the build pics (e.g. jdkjake), I see pictures of the insides of the speakers and also removal/changing of internal lining meterial - I am curious on how was that done? Through a removable back/bottom?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97043-elsinore-project-thread-125.html#post3123954

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The lining can be accessed through the driver openings with the drivers removed. I changed mine some months after construction as the original material I used was too dense. When replaced with a lighter material I found the bass response was improved.

Cheers.

Which is the same way the pictures were taken, by dropping the camera into the enclosure through the driver openings with the drivers removed.

Thankfully, the "auto" mode of my point-and-shoot did a nice job on the focus and exposure settings considering it was a blind shot.

Hi all,

I'm in the closing stages of setting these beasts up. I have the crossovers wired but I have some concerns. I'm not so worried about the mids and bass, but I am about the tweeter circuit. Without connecting the load, the impedance across the inputs are different for each side (about ~6kR vs ~8kR). So thy're either both wrong or one is wrong. Apart from a reversed Jentzen 0.47mF Cap, they appear to be the same. Without an oscilloscope, is there any way to safely test the circuits?

Just wanted to give an update on my Elsinors...after some time now about a year, I've decided I hate them!!!

Umm....just joking...they are absolutely incredible....

I could not be happier. One thing I find completely remarkable about these speakers is how good they sound at low volumes. I have given...,why that is a considerable amount of thought.

The first thing that I thought was,"Is it because you are older...(47)"...Answer... I don't think so....I love hard rock/heavy metal....some any way...I just bought my first Megadeath CD and some music you just have to play loud!

I really think as music lovers especially when we are young and discovering all the gems out there, when we hear it, we turn it up, because we are trying to make it sound better! And if it's a really enjoyable song, it does sound good when we turn it up....and hear the nuances of that particular music..it's a thrill, and when you are young a new thrill.

When you are older, well maybe like in my case, some times I'm up late when my wife and kid are asleep and I want to listen to music but can't play it loud, but with these I can still enjoy them....it's a testament to how well made and designed these speakers truly are! (And when I say made I don't mean I made them because I can follow directions I mean Joe made it ******* happen.)

So look, I'm both a skeptic and an optimist! I don't believe anything without verification first...but I also don't discount something I don't know simply because I don't know or believe it. I also, believe in myself and others when they deserve it! I don't think too much of myself or too little of others!

But when it comes to speakers....all I have to say is "HOLY GRAIL"...and thank you Joe! I wish I live in Australia so i could shake you hand...and the surf is much better!

;)

The lining can...I changed mine some months after construction as the original material I used was too dense. When replaced with a lighter material I found the bass response was improved.

Cheers.

Yes, good idea. There are very dense acoustic materials that can be used, but not here, call it nice, light and fluffy - and you can't go wrong. :D

Last edited:
I used a Jantzen P core inductors for that one. They have a circular bobbin type of construction and look a bit nicer I think. But either of the ones you describe will be ample. Just keep them as far away from the other inductors as practical.

I have not measured these, but of the cored inductors I have measured only Deulund cored inductor measures like an air core inductor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Jantzen P core inductors for that one. They have a circular bobbin type of construction and look a bit nicer I think. But either of the ones you describe will be ample. Just keep them as far away from the other inductors as practical.

Thank you Irext.

I wanted to order the Jantzen P-Core also, but Speakerbug had only 1 unit of the 3.9mH 18AWG SKU... the 3.9mH 15AWG unit and the 4.0mH 17AWG are 2x the price, so looked for alternatives.

Last edited:
Joe recommends a cored inductor for this location as saturation is unlikely (IIRC). Speakerbug will order in the Jantzen inductors you require and they are very helpful. Not sure how long that might take however. You might try other Jantzen outlets to see if they have them in stock. They are fairly weighty though and freight cost may be an issue.