The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 111 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2012, 11:44 PM   #1101
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
BTW: Good job on the cabinets
Thanks Joel. You were a big inspiration to take them a bit further with raw wood veneer, which, I think really pays off in the overall look.

Question for you. The screws you provide with the waveguide. What diameter are they? They appear to be somewhere between a #8 and a #10, but, I suspect they are metric.
Old 15th April 2012, 01:48 AM   #1102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Thanks Joel. You were a big inspiration to take them a bit further with raw wood veneer, which, I think really pays off in the overall look.

Question for you. The screws you provide with the waveguide. What diameter are they? They appear to be somewhere between a #8 and a #10, but, I suspect they are metric.
Raw wood seems to have this unfiltered look. I get excited about it
each time a put some on.. Glad I could help..

Your screws are 4mm I believe.. I switched to 8/32 later because I could find 8/32 nuts easily but not 4mm.. Staying with 8/32 now..

I'm curious about your xover parts selection. Did you go for anything exotic or you play with that later..

Joel
Old 15th April 2012, 10:55 AM   #1103
diyAudio Member

Interested in building a pair of these to replace my B&W 603 floorstanders.

Has anyone had experience using an electronic crossover with them?
Is there any reason why an active crossover would be a bad choice over the passive?

Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 01:29 PM   #1104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
I'm curious about your xover parts selection. Did you go for anything exotic or you play with that later..
I didn't go the cheapest route but I did not get carried away either. I upgraded where it made sense to me to start with a better part. For the coils I am using Erse. Resistors are Mills and the tweeter cap is a Sonicap Gen I. The other caps are Erse films.

Progress as of late has been really poor as I caught the flu. While I put a lot of sweat, tears and even some blood into the construction of these, I draw the line at mucus.
Old 16th April 2012, 04:46 PM   #1105
diyAudio Member

Default All stuffed up and ready for wiring...

I finally installed the acoustic dampening fill. I ended up using the wool/poly blend rolls available from MCM electronics (Acoustic Dampening Pad | LS00916 | Distributed By MCM). If you catch them on one of their 25% off and free shipping deals, they are not too badly priced. Although, the price has seemed to go up significantly as of late. I bought a bunch of them a while back.

This material, while close to the right density blend, is a bit thicker than Joe used on his original build. So, I went with a single layer on the sides and a double layer on the back. I figured that was close enough to Joe's original specs and would provide a good starting point. I ended up using about 4 and 1/2 rolls of the material in total. Easy to work with, but, messy when cutting as the fine fibers seems to come off the cut into a dusting of material. In hindsight, I should have cut them outside.

Below are a couple internal shots of the finished installation. Time to move onto the wiring harness.

BTW, these things start to become very cumbersome to move around. They are currently weighing in at 72.8lbs a piece (~33.1kg). You can certainly build some muscle moving these around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3886.jpg (53.8 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3888.jpg (29.7 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3889.jpg (30.3 KB, 478 views)
Old 16th April 2012, 06:11 PM   #1106
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Anybody have Elsinores near Columbus, Ohio? I was hoping to listen to some. I've got the woofers, but not the tweeters or cabinets, would like to listen to some before considering building them, if it's not too difficult.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:19 AM   #1107
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Finished mine last September

Believe it or not I built a pair a pair of MkV's last year without once visiting this forum. I should have as it transpires as I have made some parallel discoveries with others. I could have saved some time and perhaps a little money. Firstly let me say I am extremely happy with my Elsinore's. They have opened up my music collection dramatically. Like others on this forum I have had to re listen to my entire collection, quite a happy task. The thing that strikes me is the detail in the music. Every instrument can be singled out and placed in the soundstage. They never appear to shout even when played quite loud. It's deceiving as you think you have them at a subdued level until someone (my wife usally) tries to talk over them. One improvement I made ,and subsequently discovered that I was beaten to, was to replace the 2MFD HF filter pass capacitor with a Jantzen superior Z Capacitor. This made a very noticeable improvement to the subtlety of the HF reproduction. I was using a Solen SCR type previously and thought these were adequate but after some reading started experimenting. I'm very glad I did. As for damping material I used Tontine Acoustisorb. This comes in several grades. I used the least dense one available and have plenty left over for future projects. My cabinets are Veneered using Tasmanian Blackwood and stained with Danish oil and finished with Canuba wax. I'm very happy with the outcome particularly as this was my first large speaker project. Previously I built some LS3/5a clones. I thought these were terrific until now! It was a leap of faith to build the Elsinore's unheard but the literature provided by Joe was so detailed and concise that after some years of following progressive versions I felt compelled to build them. All I can say is if you will not find a more rewarding project if you are into hi end audio. I'll be following posts from now on as there is quite a knowledge base out there. A colleague at work is also building a pair and is about half way. I'm on his back to finish them so we can compare notes. He's in for a treat! Picture attached.
Old 17th April 2012, 05:47 PM   #1108
diyAudio Member

irext,

They sound beautiful. Can you try again to post a picture? The first one does not appear to have come through.
Old 18th April 2012, 02:27 AM   #1109
diyAudio Member

WAVEGUIDE PURCHASE LIST

IF anyone is interested in purchasing the Aluminum Waveguides please let me know. It wont start for a few weeks as CNC lathe is being reworked..Looking for numbers and I'll keep a list and return email before starting...

Thanks, Joel

Spoonted-I emailed back to you twice but it dosent show up in sent folder so not sure if you recieved it..
Old 18th April 2012, 03:33 AM   #1110
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default My Elsinore's

Hope this attachment works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3001.jpg (446.6 KB, 427 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!