Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2008, 08:53 PM   #101
rob323 is offline rob323  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rasmussen
Hey Rob, that was clever. And I thought I was presenting a design that devoid of any difficulty in tricky building, and then you.... invent one!
Well, you know me. There's no challenge in doing it the easy way is there!

Quote:
Originally posted by Meataxe
So I've satisfied myself about the enclosures (like the KISS principle!) and the drivers - but the electronics are another story.

Can anyone volunteer a couple of pictures of their x-overs? Not sure I can come to grips with 10 speaker cables a side!
There is only 6 cables per side (3 pairs) and to simplify things and to prevent me from doing something stupid (which happens often) like accidentally plugging the tweeter into the bass output from the crossover, I am using 8 pole Speakon plugs. I will take a pic tonight of what I have done so far with regards to the cabling to give you an idea.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:01 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut

Rabbitz,

The Website has no address, no telephone number, no "about us", basically nothing except part and price lists and possibly a payment system, ... I would not know who I would be paying to.

Regards,

Bill
I know Leon Gross of Soundlabs, he's about 15-20 minutes from near Campbelltown - but the parts gets sent from Melbourne by his partner down there. Re Speaker Bug, found this on their website (see Contact Us) http://speakerbug.com.au/shop/index....ge=contact_us:

OZKO Pty Ltd
31 Nairn St
Milton, QLD
Australia, 4064
Tel 617 33683357

Give them a call.

Joe R.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:02 AM   #103
Meataxe is offline Meataxe  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is only 6 cables per side (3 pairs)
Between the x-over and speaker plus 2 pair to go between the x-over and amp(s)! Purely based on my interpretation of the wiring diagrams, and I have been known to be wrong - very wrong! Those plugs sound interesting, thanks Rob.

Anyway thanks for the links rabbitz!
Old 19th February 2008, 12:08 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Meataxe

Between the x-over and speaker plus 2 pair to go between the x-over and amp(s)! Purely based on my interpretation of the wiring diagrams, and I have been known to be wrong - very wrong! Those plugs sound interesting, thanks Rob.

Anyway thanks for the links rabbitz!
My apologies, I forgot about those.
I do not have mine bi-wired/ bi-amped at the moment, just single cables from the amp to the crossover box and jumpers to bridge the terminals at the crossover box together.
Old 19th February 2008, 08:43 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

meataxe, pics of the Speakon plug/ crossover box setup as promised.
Click the image to open in full size.

It sure simplifies the back of the cabinet, and no speaker cables hanging down in front of the port.

The drivers ended up as flush as you can get them (yes they are dusty).

Extra chamfer around tweeter recess.
Old 19th February 2008, 10:15 AM   #106
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut
Rabbitz,

Thanks for the link. I will be interested in getting some MOX resistors and possible Jantzen caps.

Have you actually bought items from them before? The Website has no address, no telephone number, no "about us", basically nothing except part and price lists and possibly a payment system, ... I would not know who I would be paying to.

Regards,
Bill
Yes, I've bought from Steve previously and he is the authorised Jantzen reseller in Australia (also listed on the Jantzen site).

Good service, good product, good value.

As with a large portion of resellers and myself included when I was running RZaudio, there was no phone or address included on the website as the business was web based only and mail order.
Old 19th February 2008, 02:02 PM   #107
Peter N is offline Peter N  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm building too the Elsinore speaker, now I'm cutting the wood.

And I did a mistake in the hole for the tweeter, it isn't a circle

I didn't used the blade suitable for doing circular cuts and it was hard to get the blade in the direction I wanted. The hole diameter is 80-82mm. Is it still ok? os is going to effect the sound? in the worst I could always take another panel and do it again sigh

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2295/buco1me7.jpg

But the second hole I made is good
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6346/buco2ie7.jpg

Quote:
If you can flush mount them, then I won't object - the slight change in relative to Tweeter offset is such that they will focus at slightly greater than 1.6M I did the published the Step Response - so it is actually still with +/- 2.5mm acceptable range. There is also a very slight diffraction effect difference, but is so small as to be inconsequential.
Yes I could flush mount the other drivers, but sorry for my ingorance I didn't understand a lot. I'm, going to listen to them at 2,5-3m distance, so it's better to flushmound the mid and the bass driver? if it isn't worth I don't do it

Thank you very much
Old 19th February 2008, 07:28 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Peter, after going to the effort to flush mount the drivers, I wouldn't bother to do it again. It is not fun due to the shape of the drivers.

Also, are you building the Mark 2 versions or the Mark 3? Going from your picture, I say its the Mark 3, if so, don't forget that the tweeter should be recessed into that panel. Do you have a router?
Old 19th February 2008, 08:04 PM   #109
Peter N is offline Peter N  Italy
diyAudio Member

Yes I'm building the MARK3.

Yes I have a router, with this tool is easier to flush mount. But it's always more work to do, and if it isn't worth doing it it's better to not do it....

Now I was thinking to glue some pieces of MDF to the bad hole to make it more a circle, is it a good idea?
Old 19th February 2008, 08:34 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't be too worried about the hole for the tweeter but best to hear that from Joe himself.

Hide this!Advertise here!