The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2011, 10:22 PM   #1031
diyAudio Member

Really nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing them finished. Thanks for taking the time to post all your trial and tribulations and this project. I think kit this is what I'm going to build eventually for my "dream" speakers.
Old 2nd December 2011, 03:08 AM   #1032
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I am looking to see them finished myself!

BTW, I've been to Skycraft more than a few times. Have not been there in many years though. Hope it has not changed a bit!
Old 6th December 2011, 02:48 AM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Default Seldom (if ever) used domestic skills in the service of a higher cause...

Well, I managed to locate and blow the dust from our lonely clothes iron and went ahead and applied edge banding to the side panels. Easy as pie, even from someone who believes whole-heartedly in permanent-press and wash and wear.

Very forgiving material. If you make a mistake, just heat it up, remove it and start with a new piece. Once applied, trim it close using a razor-based plastic edge trimmer. The trimmer works fine once you get the hang of it. Final edge is put on with a light sanding.

Of note, I miscalculated the amount of edge banding I would need. So, I ended up using my veneersupplies.com "premium" banding on the front/top surfaces and used a lesser grade (available locally from lowes) on the back. This will be an interesting experiment to see if the edge telegraphs through the material as the veneersupplies banding is much, much thicker.

Anyway, cleaned up and sanded down the boards and moved them into position for painting and drying using my no-expense-spared custom paint chamber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3364.jpg (49.4 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3366.jpg (36.2 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3371.jpg (31.8 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3382.jpg (40.8 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3386.jpg (36.2 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3389.jpg (40.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 6th December 2011, 03:33 PM   #1034
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

jdkjake, just a word about recess mounting the woofers, It will change the setback distance between the woofer and tweeter and how the woofer interacts with the cabinet. I don't know how much it will affect the sound.
Old 7th December 2011, 01:12 PM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpate View Post
jdkjake, just a word about recess mounting the woofers, It will change the setback distance between the woofer and tweeter and how the woofer interacts with the cabinet. I don't know how much it will affect the sound.
Thanks for the heads-up tpate. The effects of the flush mounting the mid/bass drivers have been discussed once or twice over the life of the thread. I believe the last time Joe chimed in on the topic was post 95. There he stated the effects would be minimal.

The main reason to flush mount IMHO is purely aesthetic. At this point, I am still not sure what I am going to do as the asthetics using surface mounting is pretty nice as well. I will make the final decision once I finish the veneering of the main part of the cabinet. That is dragging out a bit as I experiment with a couple different veneers and various finishes.

Thanks again for the caution.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:46 AM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Default Veneer and stain and finishes... OH MY!!

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Made test presses of a couple different veneers with multiple variations of stain and finish options.

I think a decision has been made (finally).

Big thanks to Joel for talking me into using raw wood veneer! Amazing results, even with just test pressings.

BTW, ignore any pressing errors you see. This was more about color testing than press testing. All of my test presses have turned out just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3406.jpg (75.1 KB, 114 views)
Old 17th December 2011, 01:12 AM   #1037
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Made test presses of a couple different veneers with multiple variations of stain and finish options.

I think a decision has been made (finally).

Big thanks to Joel for talking me into using raw wood veneer! Amazing results, even with just test pressings.

BTW, ignore any pressing errors you see. This was more about color testing than press testing. All of my test presses have turned out just fine.

Glad you like Raw wood veneer without a backing. I'ts addictive material.

Have you tried Dissolved shellac as a finish? Very natural and can make them as beautiful as a fine guitar. Mind you I'm still working on the final aspect to complete the finish..
Old 17th December 2011, 02:21 AM   #1038
diyAudio Member

Default Hamlets

Did some more work on the hamlets today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1456.jpg (358.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1458.jpg (316.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 17th December 2011, 03:59 AM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
Glad you like Raw wood veneer without a backing. I'ts addictive material.

Have you tried Dissolved shellac as a finish? Very natural and can make them as beautiful as a fine guitar. Mind you I'm still working on the final aspect to complete the finish..
I gotta tell you, I am totally sold on raw wood veneer. Just have to deal with the occasional hole to prevent excessive glue leak-through. Other than that, well, the world is your oyster. Anything is possible.

Right now, I am using water-based, oil-modified polyurethane finish in both satin and semi-gloss. Nice results in three or four coats with little to no fumes.

I did a little reading on shellac finishes as well as using Boiled Linseed Oil to bring out the figure prior to finish. Probably a step or two beyond this project at this point. Heck, it took three weeks, two veneers, five stains (with eight separate variations/mixes) and two finishes to get this far. Not sure I can handle any more choices/methods at this point!!

Perhaps the next build. In the meantime, I look forward to your results using shellac. There is something quite enticing about using classic, natural methods and finishes.
Old 17th December 2011, 04:00 AM   #1040
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonted View Post
Did some more work on the hamlets today.
Looking GREAT spoonted!!

BTW, what method did you use to perform the cutouts on the center brace? They look amazing.

Hide this!Advertise here!