partsexpress super cheap drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2003, 11:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jared
Default partsexpress super cheap drivers

Hey , anyone know if any of the super cheap (like under $10) drivers in the closeout sales this month at partsexpres are any good ? some of the response graphs look like they could be usable....
Old 9th January 2003, 11:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Depends on the application. High end? Patio speaker? AV system?
Speaking for myself (sure to cause riots among the video critters), I'm not as picky about the sound on my AV system as I am with the main system. Don't get me wrong, they're nice speakers (Ariels for front L&R, ME-2s for the rest--a nod to Lynn Olsen for the designs), but I can get by with a lot less sound quality if Harrison Ford is shooting some bad guy on screen than if the sound is all there is.
Figure out what you want to do with them and how important sound quality is to you. Don't expect to get a high end driver for that price, but mid-fi might be attainable.

Grey
Old 11th January 2003, 02:05 PM   #3
bknauss is offline bknauss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bknauss
I've heard the 5.25" cast frame woofers are pretty darn smooth. They're also rumored to be Definitive speakers... take that for what you will.

I bought a case of the 90 cent wonders and hopefully will be playing around with them in the next couple weeks.
Old 11th January 2003, 04:30 PM   #4
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
They are indeed Definitve speakers. Many different sources confirm this. I own 4 of these 5.25" woofers and a pair of Seas H537-06 tweeters (aluminum dome, also at parts express). They are for an MTM project.

I want to get my hands on a pair of the cast-frame Pioneer woofers from MCM as well as a pair of the 2.25" Pioneer fullrange drivers and make a weird hodgepodge of bose-type stuff (a wave-cannon midbass section and a little transmisison line enclosure for the Pioneer driver, which is even of higher quality than the Bose Jewel Cube). That might be a fun thing to show off up at Purdue University here in Indiana (which is an engineering school where I am going to go for college.)
Old 12th January 2003, 02:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default West Lafayette

another Boilermaker! -- great place in the winter ! I once drove from Indianapolis to West Lafayette in a blizzard -- happens all the time.

Hide this!Advertise here!