Another ECM8000 Question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After read a lot of posts still without lucky to get the ECM8000 working with my PC

All that i have are the following...

EMC8000
SoundBlaster X-FI
UB802
Multimeter

I have prolbems to calibrate the MIC+UB802

can someone help me?

i try with ARTA and Speaker workshop. both need to configure it in diferent ways.

If, by calibrate you mean exact dB sound pressure level, I guess it is a little complicated. You probably need a reference SPL meter for that.

The following is how I use ARTA, without considering absolute levels:

Start ARTA and run single frequency or pink noise and adjust the soundcard output and your amp to a suitable sound level. The level being either a subjective suitable acoustic level, or measure the AC at the speaker at eg. 1V or 2,83V (=loud!).

Then set up the mic+preamp. Run calibration, or go direct to Imp, and start the the generator/measurement. Adjust mic preamp and Windows recording volume control so you get a level at about 0 dB, or a little below (to avoid A/D overload).

SveinB.

That will be hard to do, even with an SPL meter. Personally I think exact db levels are not nearly as important as relative db levels. So long as you keep the mic a constant distance and voltage, you can compare SPL levels.

Oh yeah, and I couldn't get the calibration to work either. When I pressed the button, there was no sound, so the mic did not record anything.

Dan

How about an "inverse calibration".
Use a speaker with a known SPL at a given frequency at 2.83V.
If we can use 500Hz for the calibration it should fit directly into the ARTA calibration HMI. Then fine-tune by using time-gated measurements to elliminate room influence.

Might be just as good as a cheap SPL meter ???

SveinB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.