Resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
cc00541 said:
Their inductance will be in the microHenries.

Actually, you do have to worry about the inductance. I measured the power output of a single ended triode amplifier using a 8R Vishay wirewound aluminium-clad resistor as the dummy load and got more power than I expected at 1kHz. I also got a rising frequency response. This was because although it was 8R at DC, there was sufficient inductance at 1kHz, yes, 1kHz to allow the amplifier (which inevitably had a high output resistance) to deliver a slightly higher voltage across the load. When you then apply V2/R, the error is magnified.

Thanks for responses, guys.

What I'm looking to do is what Nelson Pass suggests by putting 23-25ohms in series with a Pioneer B20 to simulate the effects of a current source amp while using a voltage source one, which, if it works like he thinks it will (and so far, I've not seen anyone try it yet), should significantly increase bottom and top end output.

He actually put in a correction circuit to shelf down the top end a bit when driving the B20 which his test current source, so maybe this is the rising response you mention. The B20 is missing at least the top half octave, stock (more if listening off-axis at all), so this rising response won't be entirely bad, and I can actively EQ some out if there is too much.

On the other hand, I though that adding inductance would lowpass the driver, even if some unnoticeable amount. I'm thinking I'm way out of my league here, so thanks alot for chiming in here.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.