Joe's Elsinore Project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the MM-MTM is an effective way of using 4 smaller drivers (on the front of the box).

A number of people have been showing the effectiveness of waveguide loading of a dome tweeter.

Too much XO for my taste thou (and i'd put the bottom 2 drivers on the back)

From the red bullet points. the line soouce coupling at LF is misleading & i don't see anything novel about the XO.

dave

Too much xover??? You cant be serious.
I would have to say it is a very simple & effective xover. If you take a look at the mid-bass the only series components are a shelving filter, the tweeter just cap & resistor, bass single inductor - it doesnt get much simpler - unless you like single 'part-range' drivers.
As for reffering to the bass acting as a line source he maybe stretching it a little , but still you have 4 drivers spaced apart covering the bass that is still going to work pretty effectively.
http://www.customanalogue.com/elsinore/elsinore_7.htm

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ap said:
Too much xover??? You can't be serious.

I'm perfectly serious. Just look at the impedance curve. ignoring the bass peak we have 8->18->4 ohms. Both XOs are in the critical band.

For the kind of design philosophy it is in, it is pretty simple, but that isn't where i am.

We have played with the HDS drivers and they aren't my cup of tea.

I have every respect for Joe as a designer, but we aren't currently inhabitting the same page as far as speaker design philosophy goes. Within the class of speaker he is targeting i expect this to be very good. He certainly is paying a lot of attention to the kinds of issues involved in this kind of design.

As for reffering to the bass acting as a line source he maybe stretching it a little , but still you have 4 drivers spaced apart covering the bass that is still going to work pretty

Using Griffin, the line of drivers -- at the ~ XO point of the LF pair -- transitions to a point source at about 1m. As the frequency goes lower the transition happens closer to the speaker. So it doe snot act like a line source at all. The drivers are close enuff to act very effectly as a larger driver.

dave

"I'm perfectly serious. Just look at the impedance curve. ignoring the bass peak we have 8->18->4 ohms. Both XOs are in the critical band."

Ok, so the xover 'point' you dont like but that is different to too much xover & I dont understand the issue with impedance peaks- personaly I think the design is quite simple.
I agree about the bass, it does act more like a large woofer.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ap said:
Ahh that makes sense you are from another (hifi) planet - SET perhaps?

SET, SEP, PP Class A triode or pentode (none or little feedback). Definitly tending towards transconductance amps. And single driver full-range (or very close -- active woofers & passive super tweeters allowed, but not used often)

FullRanger-shield-FR125.gif

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.