Joe's Elsinore Project. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Joe's Elsinore Project.

anyone seen this design?

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

what do you guys think of the design? looks incredible to me. anyone have some insight? maybe someone has built these themselves?
Old 21st February 2007, 02:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

nothing?
Old 21st February 2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Ap is offline Ap
diyAudio Member

Know of it but havent heard it, Joe is an excellent designer & have no doubt these would sound fantastic (I have heard his older designs). > Andrew.
Old 21st February 2007, 07:55 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

the MM-MTM is an effective way of using 4 smaller drivers (on the front of the box).

A number of people have been showing the effectiveness of waveguide loading of a dome tweeter.

Too much XO for my taste thou (and i'd put the bottom 2 drivers on the back)

From the red bullet points. the line soouce coupling at LF is misleading & i don't see anything novel about the XO.

dave
Old 21st February 2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Ap is offline Ap
diyAudio Member

Too much xover??? You cant be serious.
I would have to say it is a very simple & effective xover. If you take a look at the mid-bass the only series components are a shelving filter, the tweeter just cap & resistor, bass single inductor - it doesnt get much simpler - unless you like single 'part-range' drivers.
As for reffering to the bass acting as a line source he maybe stretching it a little , but still you have 4 drivers spaced apart covering the bass that is still going to work pretty effectively.
http://www.customanalogue.com/elsinore/elsinore_7.htm
Old 21st February 2007, 10:27 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap
Too much xover??? You can't be serious.
I'm perfectly serious. Just look at the impedance curve. ignoring the bass peak we have 8->18->4 ohms. Both XOs are in the critical band.

For the kind of design philosophy it is in, it is pretty simple, but that isn't where i am.

We have played with the HDS drivers and they aren't my cup of tea.

I have every respect for Joe as a designer, but we aren't currently inhabitting the same page as far as speaker design philosophy goes. Within the class of speaker he is targeting i expect this to be very good. He certainly is paying a lot of attention to the kinds of issues involved in this kind of design.

Quote:
As for reffering to the bass acting as a line source he maybe stretching it a little , but still you have 4 drivers spaced apart covering the bass that is still going to work pretty
Using Griffin, the line of drivers -- at the ~ XO point of the LF pair -- transitions to a point source at about 1m. As the frequency goes lower the transition happens closer to the speaker. So it doe snot act like a line source at all. The drivers are close enuff to act very effectly as a larger driver.

dave
Old 21st February 2007, 11:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

He's the guy who claims his sub performs like it's servo-controlled, right?
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Ap is offline Ap
diyAudio Member

"I'm perfectly serious. Just look at the impedance curve. ignoring the bass peak we have 8->18->4 ohms. Both XOs are in the critical band."

Ok, so the xover 'point' you dont like but that is different to too much xover & I dont understand the issue with impedance peaks- personaly I think the design is quite simple.
I agree about the bass, it does act more like a large woofer.
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:49 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap
I dont understand the issue with impedance peaks
With the amps i like to use that impedance is going to give wooley bass, a prominent midrange & a depressed top....

A speaker should never be divorced from the amp(s) it will be used with.

dave
Old 22nd February 2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Ap is offline Ap
diyAudio Member

Ahh that makes sense you are from another (hifi) planet - SET perhaps?

Hide this!Advertise here!