Celestion 7 (original, not MKII) crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am not sure if it's possible to do anything with these, given I have absolutely no data on the drivers and no real speaker measurement tools etc, but I thought I would ask anyway.

I have a set of Celestion 7 speakers. They are the 'original' models and not the ported MKII's (from what I gather this is the main difference). Not the best I know, but it is what I have to make do with... for now. They seem to have a certain harshness, particularly on female vocals. I can't quite explain what it is. It's quite... edgy I suppose. Sort of... a ringing noise. It seems like she is (in this case 'Hungry Lucy', 'To Kill A King'.. particularly the chorus) screeching / shouting, at points, at what I would consider 'normal' listening levels. I can't seem to tame it with an EQ (which is flat except 63Hz and 31Hz, which I find need boosting a bit for these speakers).

The speakers have a metal domed tweeter (by metal domed I mean it is silver, I dont know the actual material) and a 6.5" plasticy feeling woofer. I was just wondering if adjusting the crossover might do anything to tame this harshness? Perhaps it is just 'cheap' drivers and I can't really do anything about it?

I have drawn the current crossover, but I don't know the values of the inductors, sadly. The drivers are unmarked, so I don't know anything about them other than the tweeter is 6.5R at DC (multimeter measurement is the best I can do) and the woofer is 7.8R.

From what I gather, without the resistors it would be a very basic 2nd order crossover. I'm not sure what the resistors are actually doing though, so maybe it's not. Is it possible to "improve" it without proper specs? :) The caps are electrolytics... and they must be at least 10 years old by now I should think. Perhaps just replacing these might do it some good?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe someone out there somewhere has noticed the same thing and managed to improve it... or maybe it's a lost cause :)

A very late reply I know, but has anyone managed to gather any information about the drivers and crossovers of the celestion models from this era (1 through to 15).

I too have access to some of these tweeters and instead of the larger woofers on the 7 I have the 4" woofers from the 1. I would love to use them in a project.

Wow... you actually found info on these.

I just scavenged a pair of these Celestion 7 Speakers from Roadside Hard Refuse in Bardon, Brisbane. Cabinets were trashed from the rain. But the tweeters... YEP! Impedance passes at 8 ohms. (woofers look trashed, but usable, as one of the cones seems 'misshapen' somehow.) Crossover, well, I'm about to try it out as a mod in a pair of Accusound 650D or 680 2 ways.

Wish me luck. This is just an FYI post. Thanks for the schematic and details. Yours is the only info I've found so far (and your in Australia like me).

Celestion 7 crossover included in this image.

Attachments

• Celestion 7 parts.jpg
    Celestion 7 parts.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 288
Good luck with your dumpster speakers! :D

I just had a little look around and the Celestion 7 seems to be metal tweeter and polycone or paper 7" bass.

The schematic in this thread seems to be the miniscule Celestion 1.

Well, either way, a second order filter.

Possibly you'll end up replacing the basses, and a Peerless 830874 would be a reasonable replacement available in your neck of the woods. Metal tweeters are common enough. You might find something by SB Acoustics like the SB26ADC:
SB26ADC-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

You'd probably adjust the resistor on the tweeter section for level, but it ought to end up sounding quite good in about 20L.

Attachments

• Celestion 7 Crossover.JPG
    Celestion 7 Crossover.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Celestion 1 Crossover.JPG
    Celestion 1 Crossover.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 265
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.