2.5" driver recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2007, 03:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2.5" driver recommendation

Hi guys,

I have some left over 1/2" birch plywood from a cabinet I built and I want to make some small computer speakers.

I am looking for a driver that is smaller than the Hi-Vi B3s preferably. Sound quality isn't a big issue. I just want something that will look cool and function in a near field environment at low volume. Lets assume I can do a digital crossover to a reasonable sub at 150+ hz.

Any cheap drivers out there that I might be able to play with? I will probably power these with an older sony stereo receiver. They need not be loud or perfect.

Thanks!

~Nathaniel
Old 20th February 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Dag is offline Dag  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Check out zaphs tests at
http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/
http://www.zaphaudio.com/minitest/

Old 20th February 2007, 12:04 PM   #3
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-830

possibly, /sreten.
Old 21st February 2007, 03:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for the links.

After reading Zaph's tests it looks like there really aren't "useable" drivers out there under 3". Is there anyway to get decent performance out of the B3S in a small enclosure? I am thinking something along the lines of 1 - 1.5l?

What driver properties would indicate decent performance in a small enclosure?
Old 21st February 2007, 04:13 AM   #5
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zaph's "Hi-Vi B3S single driver system" (http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html) enclosure is small but more like 3.75 L by my calculations. I quickly modeled the B3S in three sealed enclosures sizes; 1.0 L, 1.5 L and 2.0 L. There are trade-offs in bass extension at these smaller sizes (particularly the 1.0 L and 1.5 L) that may make subwoofer integration even more problematic (Zaph has a very good analysis of this problem in the link above). If I were you I'd stick to the larger box size Zaph uses.

BTW I bought the round flange version, the B3N, from Madisound and they are very attractive, great sounding, and surprisingly small drivers. I think they are a great deal.
Old 21st February 2007, 04:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am listening to a pair of Zaph's B3S speakers now :-)

I am really looking to go smaller so that they could go on the desk in my office with a little footprint. I am valuing looks over performance here. I guess I should try some modeling and see what I come up with. The round Hi-Vi's might be a good option.

Too bad the A2S has such poor response. I think I could do something cool with a speaker that size.
Old 21st February 2007, 11:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nanl2053
Thank you both for the links.

After reading Zaph's tests it looks like there really aren't "useable" drivers out there under 3". Is there anyway to get decent performance out of the B3S in a small enclosure? I am thinking something along the lines of 1 - 1.5l?

What driver properties would indicate decent performance in a small enclosure?

Quote:
Originally posted by holdent
Zaph's "Hi-Vi B3S single driver system" (http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html) enclosure is small but more like 3.75 L by my calculations. I quickly modeled the B3S in three sealed enclosures sizes; 1.0 L, 1.5 L and 2.0 L. There are trade-offs in bass extension at these smaller sizes (particularly the 1.0 L and 1.5 L) that may make subwoofer integration even more problematic (Zaph has a very good analysis of this problem in the link above). If I were you I'd stick to the larger box size Zaph uses.

BTW I bought the round flange version, the B3N, from Madisound and they are very attractive, great sounding, and surprisingly small drivers. I think they are a great deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by nanl2053
I am listening to a pair of Zaph's B3S speakers now :-)

I am really looking to go smaller so that they could go on the desk in my office with a little footprint. I am valuing looks over performance here. I guess I should try some modeling and see what I come up with. The round Hi-Vi's might be a good option.

Too bad the A2S has such poor response. I think I could do something cool with a speaker that size.

Hi,

Zaph is simply lazy in re-using using those boxes
- they are not designed volumes for the B3S.

Using Zaph measured Vas for the B3S indicates 1.5L will be fine.

Box depth can be reduced, hieght somewhat, keep width the same.

Follow Zaph design and use the near field filter options, you can't do better.

/sreten.
Old 21st February 2007, 11:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

with Vas = 0.8L problems only start at < 1L.

/sreten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b3s.jpg (80.2 KB, 273 views)
Old 21st February 2007, 12:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sreten, I think I will do just that. I will post up some pictures when I finish.
Old 21st February 2007, 02:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am thinking of something with this shape. Internal volume of 1.528 Liters accounting for the back of the driver. Zaph's near field filter outside the speaker under the desk.

Not drawn exactly to scale. The baffles external dimensions would be 13.5 x 13.5 cm

Thoughts?

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!