How do you check for leaks? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2003, 03:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How do you check for leaks?

Ive recently built a subwoofer for my home theatre using a shiva driver. I am really happy with the result, and am currently hunting all the things vibrating in the room to eliminate them! (damn those steel frame homes!)
Anyway, when I built the sealed enclosure, I used generous amounts of silicon at every joint (and waited for it to cure before I installed the driver). I used 25mm MDF with 16mm bracing. I also mounted the amplifer separate to the main box.

I was just wondering what the best method is to test for any leaks. I keep hearing how important this is but dont hear anything about how to test for it after the box is built.

Any suggestions??
Old 9th January 2003, 03:15 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Minor leaks in a closed box are not tragic. If the impedance curve comes out where you want it, you're probably OK. If not, you can run an infrasonic signal to the sub (maybe 10 Hz or so) at a moderate excursion, then wet your lips and move your mouth around the joints of the box (keeping it a cm or so away!). You'll feel any air leaks. Just don't let anyone see you do this 'cause it looks so silly. Works, though.

Alternatively, you can do the same thing with a stethascope, but I think the wet lip thing works better.
Old 9th January 2003, 03:32 AM   #3
Ilianh is offline Ilianh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ilianh
Immerge it in water, and see for air bubbles.

btw.. it was a joke (just to make sure) what SY said is about the best method..
Old 9th January 2003, 03:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well I gotta admit I would’ve never guessed the wet lips method!
I’ll give it a go but I gotta be careful coz I got aluminum sheets stuck on all sides!

I was thinking of somehow surrounding it in smoke and seeing whether any leaks created movement. Could I try dry ice or do I have to crack open the cubans?
Actually we test for gas leaks here at work with soapy water, but I reckon that sounds a bit messy.
My main concern is around the driver itself because that was the last thing I installed and hence I couldn’t seal it from the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0530.jpg (7.8 KB, 332 views)
Old 9th January 2003, 04:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

In my case, I put so much glue that it can not leak
Old 9th January 2003, 04:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Easy. Hold a candle flame near any supect joints. If the flame jumps, you've got a leak.

Grey
Old 9th January 2003, 05:29 AM   #7
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Ummmm what can I sugest... I know.. don't look for leaks, seal them, even if they are not there. . hmm, not sure how that works of a metal covered box, perhaps making sure it was sealed should have been don't first..
Old 9th January 2003, 06:03 AM   #8
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
Ummmm what can I sugest... I know.. don't look for leaks, seal them, even if they are not there. . hmm, not sure how that works of a metal covered box, perhaps making sure it was sealed should have been don't first..
I found a leak in my tempest ported ebs enclosure when I was playing a 10hz wave at full power on a 250w plate amp. I had put a screw in the bottom to secure the two 3/4" baltic birch plywood pieces together when gluing, and forgot to plug it. It was quite noticable.

It is amazing how much stuff that 20hz can shake in my apartment. It makes the walls resonate. I did some frequency sweeps with a tone generator, and it seemed to find the resonant frequencies of everything in my apartment. Definately too big of a sub for a small apartment.

--
Brian
Old 9th January 2003, 06:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You could use the smoke from a stick of insence, to avoid putting an open flame close to your speakers.

Of course then your speakers might smell like one of those damn hippies...
Old 9th January 2003, 06:06 AM   #10
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by seangoesbonk
You could use the smoke from a stick of insence, to avoid putting an open flame close to your speakers.

Of course then your speakers might smell like one of those damn hippies...
those damn hippie subwoofers!!!

--
Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!