How do you check for leaks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pjotr said:

Leakage only lowers the total Q of the box. In some occasions this can be even of advantage. One of the nasty things of leaks is the “breathing” sound or noise they can generate.

Thanks guys!
Im sure Ill find a way now to see if theres any leaks. Im pretty sure theres not, but its always good to check.

Actually the reason I ask is because I think my sub is sounding a little boomy.
I built a 12inch shiva subwoofer with a 150w amp mounted external to the box. My box volume is 60 liters and is packed with stuffing. According to the design, a box volume of 54 liters would give a Q of .707. I made mine a little bigger to lower the Q, to get a less boomy sound. I was interested to hear that a leak would actually lower the Q (I guess it makes sense though)
Ive tried changing location of the sub without much success. I am now thinking of hooking up a potentiometer to one of the coils to control its stroke.
Does anyone have any suggestions what else to try before I open up my box again?
If my amplifier has a bass boost, would this make it sound boomy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.