loudspeakers with unknown features

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Wondering if it is possible to build acceptable quality enclosures for loudspeakers with unknown features:
I mean if diameter, magnet dimensions,power and other "visual" or electrical features could be useful for the purpose.

Alternately, having a good enclosure how to choice suitable loudspeakers (if possible)?

Thanks for any useful feedback

Sincerely

That all depends on your definition of acceptable.

Take the advertised diameter of the woofer in cm, square it and divide by 20 - there is your box volume in liters.

17 cm woofer - 17*17/20 = 14.4
21cm ----------- 21*21/20 = 22
25cm ----------- 25*25/20 = 31
30cm ----------- 30*30/20 = 45

If you want a vented box, double this box size and tune to 600/Dia
17cm woofer => 28.8L tuned to 600/17=35

Now try this with some woofers you know the parameters for and see how it works. It works well for some and not so well for others ;)

Just experience, and a bit of a sense of humor. That said, the sealed box recommendation probably won't steer you too wrong.

Still, to get a good design, you should measure the parameters. The rule of thumb I posted is VERY rough and only suitable for cases where you don't know and don't want to go to the trouble of measuring.

Designing a vented box this way is sure to get you in trouble if you were to use a driver with a Q greater than 0.5 or so or with a really low or high resonance. Since many drivers with no parameters are likely to have a Q in the 0.8-1.5 range, I wouldn't generally design a vented box without parameters - so that is the "sense of humor" part.

Even so, try the method out using software simulations on some real drivers for which you know the parameters, you should quickly discover the limitations of such a simple rule.....but I bet you'll find it works fairly well on drivers with "average" (whatever that is) parameters ;)

As required, this is the link where wue "speak" about you. There is not only you but some "crazy guys" who build speakers that we don't think about, even in dreams !!!!:cannotbe:
The topic is named :"Encore un nid de fous" and the meaning is "Again a nest of "crazys".
Check HERE and enjoy !!!!!:cool:

Olivier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.