Compression Drivers for less than 200 USD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to upgrade my current speakers weakest link so to speak, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89748&highlight=

That would be the compression drivers. They are currently Eminence psd2002's and while they sound OK they could definatly use some improvement. I have a budget of less than 200 dollars each for 2 new compression drivers to replace them.

My requirements are that they play from 800hz all the way up to 20khz (or as close as possible). I currently have the Eminence h290 horn flare on my speakers, but I can replace that if absolutely necessary (I know it only has loading down to 1khz)

I've looked at the Radian drivers and they seem good, but are there any other drivers to look at in my price range? Thanks.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
You can try Jammin' Jersey's . They usually have something available from most of the pro suppliers, used of course. It's doubtful that you're going to find the full 800Hz-20kHz range you're looking for in a $200 driver, even used. That is unless you find a super bargain somewhere for a pair of the better 2" drivers (JBL 375/2440's or TAD 4001's or a few others could be named). Maybe 16kHz with the better 1" drivers is more likely.

You might also want to try time-aligning your system, since the woofers are well ahead of the horn driver, and the different path lengths will mess up your frequency response. You already have the Behringer crossover, which has variable delay for each output, so that should be a fairly easy thing to try.

http://www.livesoundint.com/archives/2003/july/align/align.php

As far as going for a 2" driver, I'd recommend going to a 1" driver instead. You can cross them over at 800 Hz, and for home use they'll go loud enough without blowing up for even extreme Arnie movies. Plus the diaphragm is smaller, so higher frequencies are better controlled. Lo and behold, Jammin Jersey has a pile of JBL 1" for less than $200 each.

By the way, you might want to move your baffle step compensation down to about 150 Hz. Turns out tall baffles tend to lower the step frequency by about an octave; try simulating your cabinet with Svante's Edge program to see for yourself.

http://www.tolvan.com/edge/

Thanks for the responses everyone. These all look like good choices, and i'm definitely looking for a 1" exit driver. I am sort of cautious about buying used drivers though, especially for pro sound drivers which could have been driven hard.

The BMS drivers look good too, and some of them seem to be able to play all the way up to 20khz, and they are relatively cheap. Are they using any equilizers to get those curves on that website?

I would like the driver to play down to 800hz for sure, but in the upper spectrum if it doesnt play all the way to 20khz that isnt the end of the world, even if it plays pretty flat to 16khz I can always EQ it a little bit.

Jerry Parker said:
TThe BMS drivers look good too, and some of them seem to be able to play all the way up to 20khz, and they are relatively cheap. Are they using any equilizers to get those curves on that website?

I would like the driver to play down to 800hz for sure, but in the upper spectrum if it doesnt play all the way to 20khz that isnt the end of the world, even if it plays pretty flat to 16khz I can always EQ it a little bit.
No to the EQ. You're gonna need a flare that will support 800Hz and a steep xover, but the 4552 might do it domestically.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.