Sansui vintage ?

The old Sansui enclosures with the wooden grills were absolutely gorgeous.

Granted, the speakers sucked but I miss the art in enclosures you don't see much of anymore. (Wharfedale, McIntosh....EV to name but a few).

I've been thinking of getting one of the vintage Sansui models and maybe upgrading (all) the components and was wondering if anyone has seen anyone take this on before? (Maybe some old posts or web sites etc).

I know the idea of a wooden grill is bad news for many....but I don't see why a horn tweeter or some creative mounting configurations may be an answer.

I've just decided that I want some elegance and some "furniture" with my next speaker system.

Some don't sick that badly, I've got a pair of cheaper 2 way Sansuis with an 8" driver that is really good, solid Bass down to around mid 40s, clear sound & quite efficient too.
Currently in use as my computer speakers.
They don't have those nice grills though...pity

Search around on vintage sites, There's plenty of info about which models are good, (Cant' find mine though, I think they're AA-3900)

Pete McK

In the mid/late 70's I had Sansui speakers and loved them. As you say, the craftmanship was wonderful and they sounded fantastic! Granted this was before I became a JBL snob, but they did sound and look nice. I would encourage you with this effort. You will likely have to build a new baffle board as many of the Sansui speakers had beau coupe drivers in them. My vote is to pick up the drivers & xovers used in JBL L100. These are frequently on ebay. Find a set of Sansui enclosures of the right dimension and go for it. Don

That's a good idea...I always loved that L100 sound.

There seems to be 4 or 5 different models that they did with the lattice grills, ranging from bookshelf to floorstanding.

I thought the wider floorstanding model would be a nice project....like you say either with that JBL sound or a mini "voice of the theatre" approach.

Those enclosures need to make a comeback....at least at my house.

Frankly, I think if the lattice were wide enough it wouldn't effect the dispersion of a dome tweeter that much besides....who the hell "walks around" in front of their speakers? But a horn maybe the way to go.

Who knows...maybe just a crossover and tweeter change and I may be happy with Sansui drivers.

Some of the top end Sansui speakers were seriously impressive for the time, and remain so to this day. Best of all was when 4 were hooked up to a quadraphonic reciever. And no, I'm not joking. This was their top model: the SP-X11000. Bit blurred, but you get the idea. They fetch a fortune nowadays, assuming you can find a pair.

Attachments

• sp-x11000 1.jpg
    sp-x11000 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 576
Scottmoose said:
Some of the top end Sansui speakers were seriously impressive for the time, and remain so to this day. Best of all was when 4 were hooked up to a quadraphonic reciever. And no, I'm not joking. This was their top model: the SP-X11000. Bit blurred, but you get the idea. They fetch a fortune nowadays, assuming you can find a pair.

I have the SP3000s as seen here:
http://www.classicsansui.net/images/Literature/Speakers/SP3000 2.jpg

& Here:

http://www.classicsansui.net/images/Literature/Speakers/SP3000.jpg

Sp3000

Hi all!

I also have Sansui SP3000 speakers and plan to bring them back to former glory. Bought them recently after finding out that they are in great shape (drivers and enclosure I mean) everything working only with capacitors dried out. I auditioned them and they projected nice and easy going nature with high efficiency, even without-optimal-crossover condition.

I have been constantly amazed with the design and build of these enclosures seeing them all over internet and finally bought a pair for 130 Euros.

I will post some pictures soon so you can see inside and admire the technology of the former audio giant. I'm still under deep impression since the exposure!

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• sansui sp3000.jpg
    sansui sp3000.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 395
I have owned many brands of speakers JBL's, to McIntosh and everything in between, almost. I still come back to the warmth of Sansui. Everyone's ear is different. While on that subject does anyone know where I can get a copy of the manuals for a set of Sansui SP-X11000's? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

My first pair of speakers I purchased were a pair of Sansui speakers to go along with the AU-717 and TU-717. I sold those for a pair of Polk RTA-12s, which I still own.

They currently have a pair of Audio Nirvana speaker drivers because the Polk drivers shorted and blew up my Marantz 1200.

So yes, buy a pair of speaker drivers of your choice and stick them into the Sansui cabinets. They'll sound great.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 46
I am sorry to disagree with the sound quality that you attribute to Sansui cabinets.
The only Japanese cabinet from those natural sounding eras was the Yamaha NS1000. I admit that the ending was excellent, yes. But the sound had no naturalness, a lot of coloration and boomy bass

Attachments

• 35567060225_ec74a22fb4_k.jpg
    35567060225_ec74a22fb4_k.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 31
I've looked at Lansing Heritage and couldn't find the JBL model that Sansuí was copied from,
The JBL drivers were far superior, the famous 4-inch flat-ribbon twoofer,t behind
of the acoustic lens had a compression tweeter
powerful, etc etc.
But hey, there were other prices too !
And Pioneer also rivaled Sansuí in the quality of speakers that could be placed in a cabinet, although I firmly believe that the first prize went to a product made here, the 7-way Ranser, I listened to them, but I'd better save my comments by regard. ....Of course, they had many potentiometers to individually adjust the rails, that was an advance!

Attachments

• J1XwewU.jpg
    J1XwewU.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 50