Crossover part TINY BIT DIFFERENT then supposed to be...will it matter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover part TINY BIT DIFFERENT then supposed to be...will it matter?

I'm in the process of building some speakers. one of the inductors in the original crossover design used "L161.0" 1.0mH 1.2.

The one i received is the "L161.1' 1.1mH.

unfortunately i have no idea what these numbers mean, so if you need more info let me know and i'll post what i can. Im' just wondering, will this make a difference? i was going to build the crossover today and i'm just hoping i don't have to wait on parts again. will this affect anythign?
Old 13th February 2007, 03:54 PM   #2
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

It will make a small difference, but probably not enough to matter. Post the details of the crossover and we can give better advise.

You could unwind some of the wire to get it down to 1.0mH, but without measuring equipment I wouldn't recomend it.

Dan
Old 13th February 2007, 03:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Crossover part TINY BIT DIFFERENT then supposed to be...will it matter?

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
I'm in the process of building some speakers. one of the inductors in the original crossover design used "L161.0" 1.0mH 1.2.

The one i received is the "L161.1' 1.1mH.

unfortunately i have no idea what these numbers mean, so if you need more info let me know and i'll post what i can. Im' just wondering, will this make a difference? i was going to build the crossover today and i'm just hoping i don't have to wait on parts again. will this affect anythign?

Looks like you're using a 1.1mH inductor instead of a 1.0mH inductor, which is an error of about 10%.

In a proper electrical engineering course, you will learn that generally anything within 25% error is tolerated. I doubt very much that 10% error will have any serious consequences for your XO, but this will also depend on the specific drivers and filter design you're using.

If either the filter is not well designed in the first place or your drivers are not so "clean" or even if your loudspeaker cables are very thin, chances are that you won't notice the difference.
Old 13th February 2007, 04:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well that's a relief!

thanks guys

for more info, i'm building the Elsinore speakers.

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

the crossover is about 3/4 the way down.

any more info would be fantastic
Old 13th February 2007, 05:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
Well that's a relief!

thanks guys

for more info, i'm building the Elsinore speakers.

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

the crossover is about 3/4 the way down.

any more info would be fantastic
I just took a look at that page and found this just below the XO schematic:

Quote:
Note: Crossover & Values of Components are Subject to Change - Date 7th December 2007
Maybe the inductor change is the result of a revised crossover?

I wouldn't worry about it but try emailing them and asking since its their design and they supplied the goods so will be able to clear all this up quickly. I'd imagine at this point they'd can either send out the correct part or let you know that you got components for a revised version of the basic XO posted on the website.
Old 13th February 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

its their design but i got the parts from www.solen.com

i'm not just sure if someone maybe accidentally grabbed the wrong part or if they were outta stock and grabbed the closest to the original. i phoned them but the technician was out so i won't hear from him until tomorrow.

Hide this!Advertise here!