horn speakers- back and front loaded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to the speaker building hobby, but I have lots of woodworking hobby experience. I want to pose the question about a combination back and front loaded horn. I am wondering if I can build something like the Hedlund horn structure in combination with a tractrix wood turned horn similair to the Edgar or oris horn where the driver is placed. I am
wondering if this would be a positive or negative effect on the
sound. If there is a negative effect with joining the two
concepts, can someone tell me which concept is the best, as I can build either one, and I need advice on which one to roll on....
Thanks, Johnnyd

Johnnyd said:
I am new to the speaker building hobby, but I have lots of woodworking hobby experience. I want to pose the question about a combination back and front loaded horn. I am wondering if I can build something like the Hedlund horn structure in combination with a tractrix wood turned horn similair to the Edgar or oris horn where the driver is placed. I am
wondering if this would be a positive or negative effect on the
sound. If there is a negative effect with joining the two
concepts, can someone tell me which concept is the best, as I can build either one, and I need advice on which one to roll on....
Thanks, Johnnyd

I've done this a couple of times. It works well with the right driver. I've used low/mid Q 15" coaxials with success. What you need to do it is make the front horn large enough to load to 200 Hz or so and adjustable in both length and throat size, the back horn throat size adjustable and the shared back chamber volume adjustable. As long as you can change these characters (as well as a properly designed/sized back horn) you will most likely find success.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.