horn speakers- back and front loaded - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2007, 06:31 AM   #1
Johnnyd is offline Johnnyd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default horn speakers- back and front loaded

I am new to the speaker building hobby, but I have lots of woodworking hobby experience. I want to pose the question about a combination back and front loaded horn. I am wondering if I can build something like the Hedlund horn structure in combination with a tractrix wood turned horn similair to the Edgar or oris horn where the driver is placed. I am
wondering if this would be a positive or negative effect on the
sound. If there is a negative effect with joining the two
concepts, can someone tell me which concept is the best, as I can build either one, and I need advice on which one to roll on....
Thanks, Johnnyd
Old 13th February 2007, 07:27 AM   #2
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi Jonny,
Please take a look at the "Horn Loudspeaker Design", by J. Dinsdale where your ideea is descripted:

http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

(you'll find the article in 3 downloadable parts at the bottom of page)
Old 13th February 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Banned

Default Re: horn speakers- back and front loaded

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyd
I am new to the speaker building hobby, but I have lots of woodworking hobby experience. I want to pose the question about a combination back and front loaded horn. I am wondering if I can build something like the Hedlund horn structure in combination with a tractrix wood turned horn similair to the Edgar or oris horn where the driver is placed. I am
wondering if this would be a positive or negative effect on the
sound. If there is a negative effect with joining the two
concepts, can someone tell me which concept is the best, as I can build either one, and I need advice on which one to roll on....
Thanks, Johnnyd

I've done this a couple of times. It works well with the right driver. I've used low/mid Q 15" coaxials with success. What you need to do it is make the front horn large enough to load to 200 Hz or so and adjustable in both length and throat size, the back horn throat size adjustable and the shared back chamber volume adjustable. As long as you can change these characters (as well as a properly designed/sized back horn) you will most likely find success.
Old 13th February 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am now develloping that kind of enclosure:

My Second Tannoy Autograph enclosures

I hope to get AutoCAD soon to share the diagrams and find help to get espected frequency responses and discuss mods to it.
The sound is very promissing. The bad part is that they can be huge.

Regards,
M

Hide this!Advertise here!