HT Surround Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building 3 Exodus Audio LCR (WTMW) speakers for my fronts in my HT. However, I am still trying to determine what I should do for the rear surrounds.

I was originally thinking of going with 5 for all around, but got to thinking about the whole idea. Why would I want to put such speakers in the back? I think it would be more advantageous to have sound from the rear that was not so directional. I am thinking of using 3 full rangers (tang band ws-879 or else vi hi) and placing them so that one is firing forward and the other two are firing at 45 degrees to the first on each side. This way I could mount them high up on the wall at the back corner of each room.

I had seen something like this on a website awhile ago, but I can't remember where it was now.

Thoughts?

While it would be nice to have all 5 the same, it isn't necessary. I kind of like your idea. You might want to fool around with the angles a bit before you make your final boxes though. Off the top of my head, I would try firing them at 30 degrees left, centred and 30 degrees right and move the boxes away from the corner a little. Then you would have the blended sound you are looking for between the boxes as well as the reflected sound off the walls. Might "open" it up a bit.

Just a thought.

EDIT: 45 degrees would also work depending on how far back the speakers are. I am thinking of my listening room only and what I might do to change things.

Perhaps you should forget about the centre speaker and simply use 2 x 3 inch 8 ohm style of speakers on 45 degree angles wired out of phase. This will produce a very broad sound that recreates the effect of multiple surround speakers. Simple 4 ohm load. I have tried this on the sides of a conventional box and the results were excelent.

Thanks Cal. You are right until I can determine the final location and orientation of the speakers, the angle to place the angle firing drivers at will have to be adjusted. (The room is not yet constructed)

The angle will depend upon how far back the speakers will be from the sitting position and what the final width of the room will be. I have lots of good things about the Tang Band 871 as well as the Hi Vi. Do you think one would be better than the other. The reason being is that the Vi Hi I can order from Solen in Quebec while the Tang Bands have to be ordered from PE in the US.

yes, Im sorry, it was not very well explained Cal, what I mean't was only 2 drivers instead of 3 per surround speaker box.

I would try firing them at 30 degrees left, centred and 30 degrees right and move the boxes away from the corner a little.

I was assuming it was one box with 3 drivers. The out of phase wireing creates an effect that one speaker sucks the sound around the box creating an effect similar (non point sourced) to the cinemas multiple unit approach. Personally i find that lots of small one litre boxes with one 3" driver in each, evenly spaced around the walls starting 1/2 way back on the side walls, would create a slightly better and ideal effect. Just like in the mixing suite.

I recommend vifa tc line 3" drivers, thats what I have at home, and have been selling quite a few to bars and cinema foyers in the last few months (with a seperate sub).

Cameron, you were correct, I was talking about putting 3 drivers in each speaker box for the rear surrounds. I think the confustion relates to you suggesting not having the Centre Front Speaker.

I would like to consider using multiple speakers for each rear spaced around the back and towards each side. Having said that, there is the WAF to consider. I could probably get away with 4 1 litre boxes for each surround? The ultimate goal is to provide non directional sound from behind and to the sides. You should be surrounded (thats why they are called surrounds).

If I was to mount all the boxes higher than ear level (ie closer to the ceiling) and angle them down towards the listening position, would that work? They would be about 4 ft behind and 4 ft above the listening position.

I'll post some pictures later of some of the different surround boxes I still have lying around.

If I was to mount all the boxes higher than ear level (ie closer to the ceiling) and angle them down towards the listening position, would that work?

That would be even better than at ear level! in cinemas the surrounds have a built in 14 degree slope in the box design. The closer your installation is to the mixing suite the better the results. Angeling down is important to reduce possible flutter echos and 3 inch drivers tend to beam the hi frequencies which makes the easy to control, reducing the need for curtain walls found in cinemas.

Reconsider your options and go with matching speakers if you like listening to music dvds or multi-channel recordings.

I have the same Adire LCRs for the front 3 channels and currently Kit41 for the rears. Watching Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" you realize the dynamics, detail and sound level are not the same. The LCRs imagine surprisingly well and do not require any toe-in. Dan Wiggins' told me he designs his crossovers with the intent of having the speakers facing square-forward (no toe-in). Another advantage is the full-range coverage down into the mid 20s. You can run all in LARGE setting and be surprised by how much bass content goes through the center channel.

I'm soon moving the LCRs to the rear and putting Kit 2641, which uses the same drivers in a floor standing configuration. If the results are not in-sync, I will build 2 more LCRs.

If size is an issue, you can make them shorter. I made mine 25" tall and adjusted the volume by increasing the width by 1" and depth by 1-2 inches (I forget). It made the cabinet look more balanced.

Dan Wiggins did an excellent job on the LCR kit.

Al

Thanks for the advice AL. But the system downstairs will be primarily for HT use (upstairs system will be music), so my main focus will be dispersion of the sound from the surrounds. I don't really have any dvd audio to listen to. Any music would be primarily for background sound. Do you run a sub with the LCR or just rely of the bass response from those boys. With those 6 woofers, I am on the edge of whether I need a sub. If so, I was going to go with another Adire driver as well as the BASH 500 amp.

The LCR caught my attention with what is packed into speakers of those sizes. the other fact is that I can get them through Creative Sound here in Canada and not have to import them. One question about the centre, do you use it standing up or on its side?

Cameron, I appreciate the feedback. What model Vifa do recommend? Another appealing factor of the Vifa (aka peerless) is that I can order them from a distributor here in Canada.

Vifa use to make a TC or LOGIC line its still in stock here in Australia TC08sd49-08, I am not sure but cannot find a peerless v line of it, they are however continuing making the 3 " fullrange TG9fsd10-08, both sound similar, though the logic line is noticably cheaper.

Unfortunatly the battery in the camera died yesterday, will post pictures later today vifa link

page 5

Im not sure if I mentioned in this thread, but the 5.1 system does not feature bass under 100hz in the surround channels, due to the fact that the sub channel is shared by splitting one @ 100hz, hence 5.1 not 6 channel sound.

My center LCR is laying down horizontally with my Sony 40" LCD on top. LEFT and RIGHT front mains are vertically standing on 30" stands (actually bass towers).

I enjoy watching concerts. So, I prefer all 5 monitors to match.
You might ask Al Wooley, Rawacoustics.com, if he has clearance price on the LCR kits. Perhaps he still does on the CNC built baffles.

mmm sorry for the delay in the pictures, they are not pretty, prototypes from 8 years ago+

Attachments

• dscn0271 low res.jpg
    dscn0271 low res.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for the pics Cameron. Here is a sketch of what I was originally planning by putting the 3 drivers in on box. I have not yet modeled the exact size.

If anyone has recomendations for full range drivers. Also the best way to wire three drivers to keep the load around 6 to 8 ohms?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 134
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.