Retail Straight Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, as the title says any straight affrodable non-crossover speakers that can be had at local retailers like Best Buy or Future Shops ? I posted this subject before and everyone came up with kits and DIY stuff like Frugal Horns etc, not really what I am looking for if I am going to get people to buy T-Amps, they all can't be DIYers ...pity them LoL

I have found some affordable drivers like this http://www.ozenterprises.net/_unity/index.html , but they are still too rich for some peoples blood. I need a poor mans off the shelf solution.

Efficiency, thats why for most GC and T-Amps fullrange is the way to go

Look into perhaps a 8", 10" or a 12" duel cone speaker. they have a little wizzer cone for the highs. They are made by many manufactures usually for in roof applications and affordable. You might need to build a box, as apart from years ago in radio shack I have not seen them in stores.

I have built some hi effciency two ways in my time, 98db 1w1m, that sound better than my suggestion!

If you're actually "Big Ed" the SI guy making T-Amps, why not just DIY you're own and then mass produce/sell them yourself?

Parts Express has a couple Pioneer fullrangers (a 4.5"er and an 8"er) for cheap. I can vouch for the 8"er so far, and it sounds great with a T-amp. Main problem with either is that they're weak in the top octave and could use a cheap supertweet (maybe a cheap Goldwood piezo). There's lots of smaller Fostex under $40 a driver that would work fine. Maybe you could go to Pioneer and see if you can buy out a big stock of their cheaper dualcone car drivers and then trial and error a decent enclosure. I had a pair of their 163P drivers (6.5" dual cones). They were cool looking and sounded pretty good, but were still a bit soft on top and could have used a complimentary enclosure (I was running everything OB). There's always the range of Tang Band speaks, though most of the better ones have gone up in price significantly. Gotten too big for their britches since they've gotten popular (with DIYers and with OEMs; lots of Logitech speakers built with them).

Aside from that, you could just start hunting Chinese manufactureres. Walmart has lots of interesting looking Durabrand products. All sizes of car dualcone drivers. Some 3" to 5.5" fullrange units in boomboxes, computer speakers, etc.

Good luck :)

Kensai

Like i figured, everyones is just coming up with parts places that sell only the drivers, not much on the finished products. I can get Fostex, CSC and a whole bunch from Solen, they are located in my city. If I am going to convince a 1000 people to buy T-Amps, I need something finished, cheap and available, by cheap I mean something under $150us a pair !

Like i figured, everyones is just coming up with parts places that sell only the drivers, not much on the finished products.

Well it is a DIY site, and you want a product that the general population dont seem to want, simply because have been conned by marketers that 2 way is better than a single speaker system.

Try the search function for a thread called reasons not to diy 1 and 2. Thats the closest example I can remember to what your asking for.

Now the other option is to get some boxes made for you, load the driver yourself and make even more money with each of the t amps sold.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.